Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I gain muscles ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisD0)
    Protein shakes are a fake and artificial way of making gains. Develop a healthy diet and workout schedule, and remember it's not all about bigger muscles. Personally I prefer to have well defined and chiseled muscles as opposed to looking overly buff.
    In other words, you're skinny AF, but you have abs and definition due to low bodyfat, which you're happy with. Whatever floats your boat..

Of course it's about getting bigger muscles. If you're going to the gym as a skinny male to improve your physique, and it's not to build muscle... the **** are you there for then???

BTW, you know that whey protein isn't some chemical compound designed to build muscle the artificial way, yes? It's a dairy protein extract. No more, no less. The word WHEY is a giveaway - that's exactly where it comes from. Whey, the dairy product. It's just as good as eating whole food and is recognised by world nutritional organisations as a first class source of protein due to its outstanding amino acid profile and high bioavailability.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    In other words, you're skinny AF, but you have abs and definition due to low bodyfat, which you're happy with. Whatever floats your boat..

Of course it's about getting bigger muscles. If you're going to the gym as a skinny male to improve your physique, and it's not to build muscle... the **** are you there for then???

BTW, you know that whey protein isn't some chemical compound designed to build muscle the artificial way, yes? It's a dairy protein extract. No more, no less. The word WHEY is a giveaway - that's exactly where it comes from. Whey, the dairy product. It's just as good as eating whole food and is recognised by world nutritional organisations as a first class source of protein due to its outstanding amino acid profile and high bioavailability.
    Now that's a putdown

10/10

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Lol, I'm not that skinny, 65kg at 176cm. Don't get me wrong, I do want bigger muscles but there is a point where you're too bulky and your muscles start to lose efficiency. None of the beefy guys I know can pull off a solid long distance run, simply because they tire too quickly.
    When it comes to body image I take inspiration from Bruce Lee, many would call him skinny but he could still kick a full punching bag to the ceiling.
    Thanks for the info about whey proteins, I'll look into it. I might well just stick to a diet though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Lol, I'm not that skinny, 65kg at 176cm. Don't get me wrong, I do want bigger muscles but there is a point where you're too bulky and your muscles start to lose efficiency. None of the beefy guys I know can pull off a solid long distance run, simply because they tire too quickly.
    When it comes to body image I take inspiration from Bruce Lee, many would call him skinny but he could still kick a full punching bag to the ceiling.
    Thanks for the info about whey proteins, I'll look into it. I might well just stick to a diet though.
    Bro, i'm malnourished basically and i'm about 5kg heavier while standing at the same height.

That point of being 'too bulky' is miles away. I'd love to have that problem.

Most 'big' guys probably don't do enough cardio. Quite possibly the drugs they are running too.

You can get pretty big naturally and still be fit. Very healthy.

Other people want to take it further and that's their choice.

ReputationRep:
    You're skinny mate :lol: Just be careful about dishing out advice like that without experience, it can be misleading

Without using drugs, you're not going to get so big that it affects your ability to move without getting out of breath. It'll take several years to get to that point even with them, so if you want to add any muscle at all then best to go full-blooded. Sure, if your sport requires you to be slender then fair enough or if you don't want to get big because you don't like the look of it or simply can't be bothered, then fair enough. If you wanna build muscle though, then train and eat to build muscle, however much or little you wanna build.

ReputationRep:
    It's that kind of elitist attitude that puts people off starting at the gym.

People go for a variety of reasons other than to simply 'put on as much muscle as possible'.

If you include classes, I would go as far to say that 'true' bodybuilders that only focus on gains are the minority, so your assumption that people who aren't chasing what you define as the 'norm' is completely unfounded.

Tbh someone that considers themselves a gym bunny should know better than to spout rubbish like this....
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by loooopppyyy;[url="tel:67585084")
    67585084[/url]]It's that kind of elitist attitude that puts people off starting at the gym.

People go for a variety of reasons other than to simply 'put on as much muscle as possible'.

If you include classes, I would go as far to say that 'true' bodybuilders that only focus on gains are the minority, so your assumption that people who aren't chasing what you define as the 'norm' is completely unfounded.

Tbh someone that considers themselves a gym bunny should know better than to spout rubbish like this....
    The thread title is 'How do i gain muscles?' So c'mon....

Most men i think do want to be as big as possible, you won't see that in a gym though because most don't have a good routine/diet/consistency to achieve that goal.

3rd paragraph - purely a guess.
    I'd disagree. The commercial gyms then maybe it is 50/50 but you get proper lifting gyms.

How was it rubbish?

Obviously a football player may want to be smaller and slim therefore they will not have the goals that a bodybuilder will have but most guys in the gym (less so for females) will be in there trying to build muscle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    It's that kind of elitist attitude that puts people off starting at the gym.

Did you miss the part where I said "if you're going to the gym as a skinny male to improve your physique"??? Christ, I've heard of misreading, but to take what I've said that much out of context is plain idiocy. I've been going to the gym a while now, I've spoken to all sorts, I'm well aware that people go to the gym to better their health or their sports performance. However, when one person asks about building muscle and another more or less says "well, I don't just go to the gym to build muscle" then I think it's warranted to, in a round-about way, ask how that helps the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Did you miss the part where I said "if you're going to the gym as a skinny male to improve your physique"??? Christ, I've heard of misreading, but to take what I've said that much out of context is plain idiocy. I've been going to the gym a while now, I've spoken to all sorts, I'm well aware that people go to the gym to better their health or their sports performance. However, when one person asks about building muscle and another more or less says "well, I don't just go to the gym to build muscle" then I think it's warranted to, in a round-about way, ask how that helps the OP.
    Well I formally (and sheepishly) apologise for misinterpreting your post, I thought you were insinuating that everyone at the gym wants to increase their muscles as much as possible, which as you pointed out is a false statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    Well I formally (and sheepishly) apologise for misinterpreting your post, I thought you were insinuating that everyone at the gym wants to increase their muscles as much as possible, which as you pointed out is a false statement.
    Not at all mate :lol: Some people are there to build muscle; others to lose weight; some to improve their physical fitness and/or endurance; others to develop explosive power for a sport; some even just to get a bit of time away from the wife with a bit of light exercise. Takes all sorts to keep a gym running

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.