The Student Room Group

What universities for Physics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Terry Tibbs
Manchester and Durham are both great for Physics and are probably only outed by oxbridge and imperial. You should give Manchester a shot though as I know quite a few people in my year there who got in with AAA although it was mainly down to them having other stuff to make up for missing the offer (Great PS, did EPQ etc).

Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind me asking, what was your offer? I ask because the offer range says "A*A*A - A*AA" so I'm just curious as to how often people get the higher offer. Do you know anyone in your year who got in through the foundation year? I heard if you miss your offer by a substantial amount they may instead offer you the science foundation year which is still quite hard to pass apparently.
Original post by Vividly clear
Look at this guy saying "not in London"

As if you wouldn't wet your pants if UCL, KCL Or Imperial gave you an offer for Physics.

Financial reasons, otherwise it'd be great to go to any of those universities you mentioned.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Financial reasons, otherwise it'd be great to go to any of those universities you mentioned.

I am pretty sure there are many people poorer than you who attend said universities.

Don't let little things like this hamper your potential
I am pretty sure there are many people poorer than you who attend said universities.

Don't let little things like this hamper your potential

Thank you, that's a good point, I'll look more into the funding available at said universities. Especially considering King's as UCL's and Imperial's student satisfaction seems quite low compared to King's. Also quite like the look of King's 100% employment/further study rate for the physics course...
Original post by Plagioclase
The bolded part, as ridiculous as I agree it is, is not true. Brian Cox's popularity has without a doubt increased the number of applications to his department.
To some degree, but really the only evidence out there shows that he has influenced a larger amount of physics applicants in general to universities nationwide. I go there, it's quite clear he has become a bit of a joke amongst everyone and certainly he is not the reason for the high entry requirements.

Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind me asking, what was your offer? I ask because the offer range says "A*A*A - A*AA" so I'm just curious as to how often people get the higher offer. Do you know anyone in your year who got in through the foundation year? I heard if you miss your offer by a substantial amount they may instead offer you the science foundation year which is still quite hard to pass apparently.
Everyone gets offered A*A*A. Yeah I'm living with someone who got in through foundation year, not sure how hard it was though.

Look at this guy saying "not in London"

As if you wouldn't wet your pants if UCL, KCL Or Imperial gave you an offer for Physics.
UCL and KCL aren't really that spectacular for Physics, only Imperial. Much better unis to go for outside of London than those two.

Everyone gets offered A*A*A. Yeah I'm living with someone who got in through foundation year, not sure how hard it was though.

Damn, I assumed the lower offer would at least be given to those with contextual factors...
Reply 26
To some degree, but really the only evidence out there shows that he has influenced a larger amount of physics applicants in general to universities nationwide. I go there, it's quite clear he has become a bit of a joke amongst everyone and certainly he is not the reason for the high entry requirements.

The university thinks he is:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/the-brian-cox-effect-boosts-manchester-universitys-1210249
http://felixonline.co.uk/news/3177/the-brian-cox-effect/
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I will be applying for Physics for 2017 entry. I am hoping to do an integrated masters (MPhys/MSci) course.

So far I've got Edinburgh, Nottingham, and St Andrews down as choices but I'm stuck on finding the other two.

Here is some background information about me:

Fairly decent GCSEs (3 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs, & a Level 2 Distinction*)

Good AS grades (AAAB, might go up to AAAA after remark) in Chemistry, Computer Science, Physics, Maths

Contextual factors: first generation uni student; deprived area postcode; state sixth form with A-level attainment below national average

Teacher predicted grades of A*A*A in Physics, Chemistry, Maths

Personal predicted grades of AAA (hopefully the imo inflated teacher predicted grades will increase my chances of getting offers)

Here are my only preferences on a uni:

Typical offers of AAA/AAB/ABB

Generally well-regarded, doesn't have to be top 10 though or anything like that

Good bursaries/funding available (I'll be getting no money for uni other than my maintenance loan, which is the full one)

Preferably no formal interview (I won't be able to get driven down so it may be hard to get there)

Not in the North East of England (I already live there and I kind of want to get away...)

~50 miles away minimum, ~200 miles away maximum (can be somewhat flexible though)

Year abroad or year in industry available (doesn't matter too much)

Thanks in advance.

Birmingham is a good university for Physics.
Compare the world's top universities, sort by region, find the best universities in your academic field, and create your own personalized ranking based on what matters most to you. For the most recent version of these rankings, see the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2015.
Reply 30
Original post by georgetgonzales
Compare the world's top universities, sort by region, find the best universities in your academic field, and create your own personalized ranking based on what matters most to you. For the most recent version of these rankings, see the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2015.

And first checking if the methodology is actually relevant and fit for your purpose.

Eg. For an undergrad, is the relative scoring of academic research citations really more important than student satisfaction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
(..)

Original post by georgetgonzales
(..)

Original post by Shazen
(..)

Original post by ageshallnot
(..)

Thank you everyone.

Quick Reply