Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I go for Japan or (South) Korea? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    x
    No problem!

I know the feeling! I'm doing a distance learning course while also working (although only part-time) D:

These are the next open days according to UCLan's site:

Sunday 25 September
    Sunday 16 October
    Saturday 12 November

If you can't make any of those dates, get in contact with them and they can arrange to have someone show you around and if you're lucky, you might be able to sit in on a couple of lectures and seminars.

Yep, you can study 2 with APS as well but it's not equal weighting and I think you can only attend a uni of your main language during your abroad year (not sure on this, so I'll ask someone and find out).

UCLan teaches Linguistics too so if you had any credits left over, you could study a module of theirs as an elective. You can see some of the other modules available commonly taken by APS students if you go back onto the page and find their course handbook in the blue box at the bottom of the page - click on 2016 Entry

If you want to look at Linguistics modules then do the same as above but on the English Language & Linguistics page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remiremi)
    Have you thought about Taiwan/China and studying Chinese?
    No I haven't but I would love to go there, I've heard that Chinese is easier to learn than Japanese?

(Original post by Snufkin)
    I don't think you should randomly pick Korean without first teaching yourself the basics. There are lots of free courses online, make use of them and see if you actually enjoy learning the language in and of itself. An interest in Korea's pop culture / entertainment isn't, in my opinion, enough to sustain language learning throughout a university degree. You need to enjoy the language too.
    Thank you!! This makes sense you putting it that way, I guess a hobby shouldn't always correlate into a 3 year degree. I appreciate your advice thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjasrule)
    Hi Thalia,

I think at UCLan where this course is taught, you can actually study both languages at the same time and for your year abroad do half a year in South Korea and half a year in Japan (although you'd be studying Modern Languages if that was the case).

I'm reapplying for Asia Pacific Studies this year but studying Korean as my main language and Chinese as my elective because I didn't study Mandarin at A Level (even though I'm fairly proficient in Mandarin already).

But yeah, if you were taking APS, you don't officially have to decide your language until you arrive at UCLan and enrol for your course so you could decide on one for your personal statement and then if you change your mind before arriving, it's no big deal to get it changed. When I applied this time last year I chose Chinese and switched to Korean once I had a confirmation. Also, one girl this year wanted to study Korean originally and only changed her mind to Chinese on the day she enrolled (I think it was yesterday or the day before?).

If you don't want to study both at the same time officially, you can take one language as a main pathway and do a certificate in another language (this then doesn't count towards your course but you can still get some sort of qualification to say you've done it).

If you have other questions about APS or UCLan, let me know - I'm friends with most of the current first years and some of the second years (all of them are taking combinations from the 3 languages)
    Thanks for the reply!! I have an offer from UCLan already for Korean and Japanese studies, I may look into visiting the open day for offered students hearing your advice as this sounds good, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    -
    I believe Leeds do combination languages of Chinese and Japanese. I heard during an open day talk for Japanese that you still get to spend a year out in each country which is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thaliawaters)
    I believe Leeds do combination languages of Chinese and Japanese. I heard during an open day talk for Japanese that you still get to spend a year out in each country which is amazing.
    Yeah they do. A 5 year course, with 2 years abroad! It looks like a great course. Those two years abroad would be amazing.

I did contemplate applying there, but as tempting as it was, at 25, five years felt just a little too long :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they do. A 5 year course, with 2 years abroad! It looks like a great course. Those two years abroad would be amazing.

I did contemplate applying there, but as tempting as it was, at 25, five years felt just a little too long :lol:
    That would be so amazing right! But I understand haaha! The only problem with these kind of courses for me is: although I would love to do it and I can't think of anything else I'd rather do, I'm kind of worried that I would lose interest in the future and I would have a degree in that field hmm. I'm planning to live in either (or both) Japan or South Korea for a few years in the future so I guess it would be very helpful for that, but I can't help but think what if!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.