Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please stop calling whomever you disagree with a "fascist" Watch

(Original post by TercioOfParma)
    And, likewise, don't call people SJWs unless they're clearly expressing that sort of behavior.
    Yes; SJW is often thrown around a lot where it doesn't belong, e.g. against moderate feminists.

(Original post by alevelstresss)
    liberal then, I saw your hissy fit about being called a liberal by that political identity quiz
    I was more amused than annoyed at that.

Btw, how do you manage to be consistently one of the first to reply to my threads? Do you look through my post history, or do you look at every page of every thread on TSR? If the former, I feel honoured that you value my posts so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I was more amused than annoyed at that.

Btw, how do you manage to be consistently one of the first to reply to my threads? Do you look through my post history, or do you look at every page of every thread on TSR? If the former, I feel honoured that you value my posts so much.
    when I'm bored I just hang in the news section, its probably your eagerness to raise issues about Islam or political correctness constantly which attracts it, less likely to be an attraction to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    Fascism - (in general use) extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practices.
    Wanting a ban on a certain religion (as a security measure, no less) is not fascist. It's not just or fair, but not fascist.

For example, Jewish communities have been forcibly removed from nearly every country they've ever resided in. Are you saying that every country which did this (over 100, btw), is fascist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    I call people fascists if and only if they take fascist positions.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Like wanting to ban a largely peaceful major religious group from their country.
    Banning religion is not necessarily Fascist. Communists did it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    Wanting a ban on a certain religion (as a security measure, no less) is not fascist. It's not just or fair, but not fascist.

For example, Jewish communities have been forcibly removed from nearly every country they've ever resided in. Are you saying that every country which did this (over 100, btw), is fascist?
    The Muslim ban is not a security measure and certainly not 'just' a security measure. You're more likely to be killed in the US by a toddler with a gun than by a terrorist, and we all know that the politician proposing this ban thinks freedom is more important when it comes to that argument. :/
    Even if it were 'just' a security measure it's a crap one. Industrialised discrimination leads to an industrialised response.

Depends on why they were removed. In many cases yes, in all cases, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    see above

(Original post by Josb)
    Isn't it even central to Communism? Don't most Communists see religion is a tool of the bourgeois, to control the proletariat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Gotta love the English language.
    whatmever *

Disappointed in TSR. Apparently, someone's reported this thread.

That reminds me of another wrong use of the term "fascist", mostly by the right-wing; someone who enforces "Political Correctness", and seeks to quash debate and free speech, is still not necessarily a Nazi.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Got very little chance of such a thing happening. People love to throw around their buzzwords against those they disagree with, from all sides. Fascist, Nazi, SJW, Cuck, they're all as boring as each other to see.

(Original post by MrDystopia)
    Got very little chance of such a thing happening. People love to throw around their buzzwords against those they disagree with, from all sides. Fascist, Nazi, SJW, Cuck, they're all as boring as each other to see.
    The use of "fascist" is like that of "SJW" and "cuck", except that fascist has an important historical political meaning, that "SJW" and "cuck" don't have, so using the term freely simply serves to confuse the average person of what it exactly is, especially when the definition is already so hard to decide on.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.