AJ's Autumn 2016 Anime Preview Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Changed the trailers for Bubuki Buranki 2 and Bungou Stray Dogs 2 to Crunchyroll's official ones.

ReputationRep:
    Trailer, key visual and airdate added for Cardfight!! Vanguard G Next, which will be available on Crunchyroll, Daisuki and Youtube

ReputationRep:
    Trailer added for Bloodivores; re-added for Hakuyuu!! S3 and Time Bokan 24.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh i've only really singled out 5 or so animes i'd like to try , not as hyped as for last fall which was amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    Tbh i've only really singled out 5 or so animes i'd like to try , not as hyped as for last fall which was amazing.
    Which five out of interest, if you don't mind sharing?

*reminds self what aired last autumn*

Ah yes, no really hyped shows along the lines of One Punch Man this time around. More Haikyuu!! and Iron-Blooded Orphans though! Can't believe it's a year since their last series', though I guess they both carried on into the Winter.

ReputationRep:
    Stream announcements:

Daisuki has Long Riders!, Stella no Mahou, 3-gatsu no Lion, Occultic;Nine and (unsurprisingly) Iron-Blooded Orphans 2.

The Anime Network has UtaPri S4.

Crunchyroll has Tiger Mask W, but not in Europe by the sounds of things, so hopefully someone else will get the UK rights.

ReputationRep:
    More stream announcements:

Crunchyroll has Bloodivores and Time Bokan 24.

As well as TAN, Crunchyroll will also be streaming UtaPri.

Crunchyroll also has Drifters.

ReputationRep:
    Time Bokan 24

The season gets off to a proper start with yet another kids gag anime, though I feel this one should be a lot more accessible than Heybot! to people watching in English. Basically, our main characters go back in time to major events recorded in our history... except what truly happened in the past is far different to what we're taught. This week it was Ancient Egypt, and once there, Tokio and Karen find that the 'unrivaled beauty' Cleopatra was actually a manzai comedy duo called Cleo and Patra. :p: As with past Time Bokan series, our heroes face an evil trio who wish to stop them from righting history, and both sides battle it out in hilarious fashion with ridiculous giant robots. Great fun, but not really my kind of series.

ReputationRep:
    The Anime Network will be streaming Soushin Shoujo Matoi, Flip Flappers, Classicaloid and Girlish Number.

ReputationRep:
    Bloodivores

Bloodivores certainly got off to a good start. This is quite an interesting take on 'vampires'; these bloodivores live among regular humans, though by the looks of things they're made to wear GPS collars that go off when their feeding instincts kick in, and they're also discriminated against in other ways. Plot-wise, our main characters are no saints, starting the series with an armed robbery and car chase. They're no murderers either though, but those are the charges they face after being framed for reasons unknown. And the next episode preview promises a survival game? Lots of interesting exposition, but this first episode also left plenty unanswered, leaving me wanting to know more... but despite ticking all the boxes I look for in a series, it's only a maybe for me until I've seen more of what the Autumn has to offer.

---

Bubuki Buranki: Hoshi no Kyojin

I'd forgotten how much I liked this series. It's all about the characters for me, and watching Azuma's party (minus the guy himself) reacting to Taiwan was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages. Great to see more of Shizuru in general, I need to add her to my cosplay list... Anyway, Azuma's sister Kaoruko was notably absent throughout the first series, but the buildup to her introduction here was worth it - another hyperactive, bizarre and wonderfully over-dressed addition to the cast. She comes with a black version of Oubu, and a black Heart, as well as 'limbs' that she's borrowing from another heart-user... who seems like an evil piece of work. Guess we'll have to wait a while longer to see the twins finally reunite. Picked up~

ReputationRep:
    Crunchyroll will be streaming 3-gatsu no Lion and Occultic;Nine~

Spoiler:
    Show

cute front page cover

ReputationRep:
    Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku

The first episode opened on a scene full of blood and bodies... nice of them to warn the viewer of what's to come, as the rest of the episode was deceptively cute and innocent, with its wide-eyed shoujo character designs, lovely costumes and pleasant music. The mascot character strikes me as a creepy mix of Danganronpa's Monokuma and Madoka Magica's Kyubey, both in terms of look and personality. The overall Madoka-vibe is hard not to notice, hopefully the series will distinguish itself from its popular predecessor in the episodes to come. It gets plus points from me for allowing boys to become magical girls though~ Not much else to say, except that it did a decent job introducing the world and the main characters - I'll be keeping this on, survival games usually make for fun viewing. :evil:

---

Tiger Mask W

This had a real retro feel to it, something that a lot of other remakes of classic series either fail to achieve, or don't even bother trying to achieve. As someone who watches a lot of older anime, I approve! The thick, sketchy lines, old school animation techniques (in places) and OP that was basically just 'Tiger' over and over again added to that, but the pacing and script also felt different to more recent anime. The wrestling was more brutal than I was expecting, with one character having his chest sliced open by his opponent's serrated gloves, only to then be stomped half to death after the match had already ended! Training for these wrestlers seems to include punching bears and throwing fellow disciples off of snowy cliffs. :zomg: Too early in the season for me to pick up too many series, so this one's a maybe for now.

ReputationRep:
    Shuumatsu no Izetta

My 'maybe' list grows at a record pace, with Shuumatsu no Izetta joining the others to make three. It's set in an alternative world, in the middle of World War 2. We know it's an alternative world because Germany is called 'Germania', Britain is called 'Britannia'... and France somehow ended up with 'Thermidor'. :rofl: Oh, and there's witchcraft too. Our main character is the princess of a country that's on the brink of invasion by Germania - this episode saw her escape a shoot-out on top of a train, negotiate with Britannia for military aid, and eventually get captured by the enemy, so it was action-packed and not dull for a second. I got a slight shoujo-ai vibe once the titular Izetta awoke from her slumber to save Princess Fine... maybe I'm hoping for too much there, but given the lack of male protagonist so far, you never know! :p:

---

WWW.WORKING!!

As someone who hasn't watched any of the previous Working!! anime series, I can confirm that this series is stand-alone and requires no prior knowledge of the franchise to appreciate - in fact, the web manga this was adapted from apparently predates the published manga that gave birth to the other series. I won't be picking it up though, as I'm more interested in action than comedy, and this didn't really make me laugh. Quite generic character tropes, with a male protagonist forced to work due to debt, a deadly chef female lead, a girl who sees ghosts but doesn't realize it, and a rich girl who tries to solve everything with money (among other characters). Worth giving a shot if you're into light-hearted slice of life shows though.

ReputationRep:
    Crunchyroll adds Yuri!!! on Ice, Monster Hunter Stories: RIDE ON, Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru, Show By Rock!!#, Magic-kyun! Renaissance and Iron-Blooded Orphans.

I'm especially glad to see Show By Rock!! on the list, after having to put up with Funimation's hardsubbed, eyecancerous encodes first time around.

ReputationRep:
    Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love Legend Star

A typically flamboyant start to the fourth series~ While waiting for a taxi, Nanami finds herself abducted by each of the series' three bands in turn, and is passed from one member to the other so they can each woo her with cheesy words and poses. The music and visuals were great though! Of course, S3 ended on a huge cliffhanger after the Triple S opening decider concert was gatecrashed by the new and improved HEAVENS - the judges (rightly) selected Quartet Night as the winner, but this decision didn't sit well with the audience or group themselves, so they'll now be holding another competition. Naturally, it falls to Nanami to compose each group's new song. The episode also featured Shining Saotome on a miniature tricycle - I'm sold on that alone. :p:

---

ViVid Strike

This is definitely Nanoha-verse, since Vivio and Einhald are featured as major characters. However, based on this first ep it seems as though it'll be martial arts focused, rather than a magical girl show. It got off to a dark start, showing our main character Fuuka and her friend Rinne, both orphans, being bullied. Flash forward several years, and Fuuka is still getting into fights, albeit against dangerous adult gangs. :zomg: She loses her home and job, but thankfully her talent is recognized by Einhald, who offers her a new job at a martial arts gym. Fuuka hates martial arts, blaming them for changing her friend Rinne, but no doubt the two will end up facing each other by the end of the series. This was passable, though compared with the season's other offerings, it really doesn't stand out for me - dropped.

ReputationRep:
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2

A solid reintroduction to the series. A short time has passed since the events of the first series, with Tekkadan having grown in power, influence and numbers - don't know what to make of the new characters yet, but if they're as well written as the rest of the cast, no doubt they'll grow on me. Despite Kudelia having moved on to other things, including starting her own company, Tekkadan are still closely involved with her, this time protecting her and other VIPs who were touring the half-metal mines. Good thing they were there too, as the latter part of the episode saw the mines attacked by pirates. After all the information dumping, recapping, business and politics, we were finally treated to some mech combat - including Mika piloting the Barbatos in awesome style. No surprise that I'll be keeping this one on.

---

Monster Hunter Stories: RIDE ON

Your typical 'kids who fight with monsters' anime - an easy drop since I'm hardly the target audience, but I'd probably have enjoyed this when I was younger. It was slower-paced and with less gags than Heybot! and Time Bokan, but the few comedy moments were very good. Definitely felt like a game adaptation, featuring items and recipes and sound effects reminiscent of other RPGs I've played. Most of the episode was spent aimlessly searching for monster eggs though, which I felt dragged on a bit. General 2D animation quality was alright, but the 3D monsters were very hit and miss; they looked alright in the fight scenes, which probably had more time and budget put towards them, but they seemed very jerky in other scenes, moving with a much lower frame rate than everything else. Eh, I've seen worse.

ReputationRep:
    Amazon are streaming ViVid Strike!, for Prime users only.

ReputationRep:
    Show By Rock!! #

Show By Rock!!'s second series began with the end of Midi City, and the whole of the Sound Galaxy, as it was conquered by Dagger and his new ally the Queen of Darkness. :zomg: Fortunately, one of the newly-introduced bands Ninjinriot are capable of time travel, so it's back to the past we go in order to prevent this from happening. Despite this early, dark plot development though, the series hasn't lost its cutesy, comedic feel - great to see Plasmagica and ShinganCrimsonZ again. Of course, the former is now missing Cyan... I was curious to see how they'd sound without her, but the arrival of the bad guys interrupted their concert. :unimpressed: No doubt they sound better as a whole anyway, and with Ninjinriot able to bring Cyan back to Midicity, we'll see them reunited soon enough. :yes: Picked up, of course~

ReputationRep:
    Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru

My word, has there ever been such a large number of good-looking characters in one series prior to this? :eek4: Bishounen sword boys having snowball fights, bathing, painting their nails, throwing horse manure(!?)... yes. Just yes. :yes: Fanservice does seem to be the majority of Touken Ranbu's selling point, but the plot, which involves protecting true history from those who would change it (like Time Bokan, but more serious) is intriguing. I was also surprised by how well animated and choreographed the fight scenes were too - one of those every episode or two would certainly be enough to satisfy my craving for action, and give me a reason for picking this up beyond the eyecandy... but no, for now this is just a maybe.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.