Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

New plastic fiver just came out - a step towards the cashless society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beaver321)
    You have a point there. If cash is withdrawn, people will start bartering.
    While I'm not surprised you lack any form of reading comprehension, that's not remotely what I said.

ReputationRep:
    They can't just withdraw cash in one stage. The 'people' would complain. It has to be done slowly, so that nobody realizes what is happening. First, all cash will be turned into plastic cash. Then some of the notes will be withdrawn. Then all the notes will be withdrawn.
    mmkay ... what ever you are taking you are either taking too much or not enough ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Come on then, don't keep us waiting. What is the punch line?

The new note is intended to last longer than the old one, cleaner to use, more helpful for the blind and be less easy to forge.
    And easier to withdraw from circulation without resistance from the masses when all notes have been turned into plastic.

ReputationRep:
    Come on then, don't keep us waiting. What is the punch line?

The new note is intended to last longer than the old one, cleaner to use, more helpful for the blind and be less easy to forge.
    He's clearly taking the "take 2, add 2 and make it equal 'hippopotamus'" train of thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    mmkay ... what ever you are taking you are either taking too much or not enough ...
    Is that what they call an 'ad hominem'?

ReputationRep:
    I think it was an informal medical diagnosis.

ReputationRep:
    One benefit is the plastic note can be placed between your phone and ear while on a call to block government mind-control from radio waves.

ReputationRep:
    It's what the rest of us call "accurate".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    One benefit is the plastic note can be placed between your phone and ear while on a call to block government mind-control from radio waves.
    PRSOM

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They've had these polymer banknotes in Australia for 10 years and it doesn't seem to have caused the breakdown of society there...I think they're probably pretty safe TBH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    He's clearly taking the "take 2, add 2 and make it equal 'hippopotamus'" train of thought.
    indeed, the change of material makes little or no difference to the underpinning nature of money where the money is fiat currency ...

ReputationRep:
    i can sell you some gold bullion to compliment that tinfoil

ReputationRep:
    That's logical. An attempt to make cash last longer is supposedly an attempt to get rid of it. Clever thinking.
    That was my first, and obvious thought.

Introduce virtually indestructible bank note then abolish cash. Genius

ReputationRep:
    We've had polymer bills here in Canada for about 4 years now. Honestly, I think I prefer them to the traditional cotton ones. I've never seen one rip, and you don't have to worry about money going in the washer.

I certainly miss the feel of the old bills, but the new polymer ones are better in almost every practical sense. It's not some 'conspiracy' to get rid of cash - it's replacing flimsier cotton money with a more durable alternative. Which is still cash.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.