Why do I keep getting nasty comments about running my own business?

Announcements

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Just looked into this and I am very interested. Do you know if they allow people that are already self-employed?
    Youd have to ask, I think the main thing is you can only do it once. My friend wanted to go on it again at the start cuz he had 2 business ideas. But your not allowed lol.

Well, thanks for all your advice glad I carried on! Since this "person" has gone to uni on the other side of the country. Strangely without the nasty comments, I have had one of my best months so far. Probably had more customers this month than in the last 6 months.

If anyone on these forums wants to do something different to the status quo (nothing wrong with going to uni however, other options should be respected). Go and do it, most importantly ignore the idiots.

ReputationRep:
    If you think about it, negative comments are better than positive ones in many senses.People just giving you mindless validation doesn't help you at all - in fact it might serve to give you a completely false sense of where you are. You know how girls post a photo on instagram, and then about 100 people post the emoji with the hearts for eyes and just tell them how amazing they are? That's exactly what you don't want for your business. You need people telling you you're going to fail (and preferably why) so that you can tackle that and have answers. Positive reinforcement before it's happened isn't much use, either. If you do well, the people who were negative will have been proven wrong. However, if you crash and burn, the people who encouraged you will bear no responsibility for your failure.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Well, thanks for all your advice glad I carried on! Since this "person" has gone to uni on the other side of the country. Strangely without the nasty comments, I have had one of my best months so far. Probably had more customers this month than in the last 6 months.

If anyone on these forums wants to do something different to the status quo (nothing wrong with going to uni however, other options should be respected). Go and do it, most importantly ignore the idiots.
    So glad to hear this OP

ReputationRep:
    Make new friends

(Original post by Trinculo)
    If you think about it, negative comments are better than positive ones in many senses.People just giving you mindless validation doesn't help you at all - in fact it might serve to give you a completely false sense of where you are. You know how girls post a photo on instagram, and then about 100 people post the emoji with the hearts for eyes and just tell them how amazing they are? That's exactly what you don't want for your business. You need people telling you you're going to fail (and preferably why) so that you can tackle that and have answers. Positive reinforcement before it's happened isn't much use, either. If you do well, the people who were negative will have been proven wrong. However, if you crash and burn, the people who encouraged you will bear no responsibility for your failure.
    I am always open to feedback/constructive criticism. I don't expect attention-seeking comments, like everyone telling me everything I do is perfect. However, I have people which do give me constructive criticism, which obviously sometimes it's hard to hear but very helpful and which I appreciate.

I was just trying to get trying to get everyone's opinion originally in the thread, to see if others thought this friend was being out of order.

[QUOTE=Anonymous;68111174]I am always open to feedback/constructive criticism. I don't expect attention-seeking comments, like everyone telling me everything I do is perfect. However, I have people which do give me constructive criticism, which obviously sometimes it's hard to hear but very helpful and which I appreciate.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.