Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1052 – Banking (No. 2) Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hypocrisy and self-righteousness from Tories who (tried) to change Corp Tax rates (with a terribly researched bill) before they could pull together the time and intellectual powers to write a Finance Bill.

That was legitimate, and so is this. Now Tories may vote against reducing tax if they want, we'll be happy to redistribute the proceeds.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Because it should have been in the original bill, or have you forgotten how to read?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It didn't though...

Although the passage of the first bill makes this one more justifiable we could easily put forward one without the other. We debated the bills separately and now have put them forward. How about you display the merits of the policy?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Because it should have been in the original bill, or have you forgotten how to read?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you always have to be so pompous and arrogant? Yes I can read and yes I know but it is still what is happening. It doesn't matter what the contex is, my statement is correct.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    We don't need to 'massage' anything seeing as we're already winning in both quality and quantity. This is just tying up loose ends. Go back to stroking your ego.
    Winning in quality is subjective, but I am not surprised Labour is winning in quantity when bills like this are included in the numbers.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Winning in quality is subjective, but I am not surprised Labour is winning in quantity when bills like this are included in the numbers.
    It's subjective but I wouldn't say we've won every term on quality. I'm pretty damn certain we've won this one so far though. Especially when bills like the last couple are included in the numbers. We're also winning on quantity of bills even if you hold us to higher standards of bill length than other parties. You're just jealous that UKIP's not on top now that you're no longer leader.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It's subjective but I wouldn't say we've won every term on quality. I'm pretty damn certain we've won this one so far though. Especially when bills like the last couple are included in the numbers. We're also winning on quantity of bills even if you hold us to higher standards of bill length than other parties. You're just jealous that UKIP's not on top now that you're no longer leader.
    The trend with Labour bills is having a bill pass easily because it is an inoffensive policy few members will be against, ill-thought-out policies the left-wing vote for to fulfil their fantasies, or policies that come close to passing but fail, however, one thing that can be said is the Labour has done more than the government. I am not jealous, I can claim to be the most active member of the MHoC when measuring voting record, and individual output.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The trend with Labour bills is having a bill pass easily because it is an unoffensive policy few members will be against, ill-thought-out policies the left-wing vote for to fulfil their fantasies, or policies that come close to passing but fail, however, one thing that can be said is the Labour has done more than the government. I am not jealous, I can claim to be the most active member of the MHoC when measuring voting record, and individual output.
    By 'inoffensive policy that few members would be against' you mean a 'good policy'. And as for the other thing you just mean policies you disagree with but a majority of left-wing MPs agree with. You've basically just said to me that Labour pass bills because people agree and could put that criticism(?) to anyone. Do you want us to start passing bills everyone disagrees with?

We've put forward high quality legislation and are getting criticised by people because this one happens to be short and sweet. The critics should muster up the courage to debate the policy itself.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    By 'inoffensive policy that few members would be against' you mean a 'good policy'. And as for the other thing you just mean policies you disagree with but a majority of left-wing MPs agree with. You've basically just said to me that Labour pass bills because people agree and could put that criticism(?) to anyone. Do you want us to start passing bills everyone disagrees with?

We've put forward high quality legislation and are getting criticised by people because this one happens to be short and sweet. The critics should muster up the courage to debate the policy itself.
    Inoffensive policies are not always good policies, a lot of the time inoffensive policies are policies which no member has a strong opinion about, leading to the bill passing but more abstains than ayes, and noes combined. No, I mean objectively bad policy which has not been thought through properly, for example, the Crematoria Reform Bill had no explanation how things would work; there were no clauses to state what power the monitoring agency would have to deal with bad crematoria; there was no detail on how arbitration of disputes would work, nor the process the body needs to follow when inspecting a crematorium, or the process for wanting to close down a crematorium. A bill to create a public body to monitor something but not say how the public body will monitor that thing, nor the power the public body has when monitoring the thing it is monitoring is objectively a bad policy.

It would be nice if policy could be debated, but as has been seen in the past with policy from the Labour Party, when reasonable objections are raised the objections are ignored, the bill goes to vote, and the party forces through the bill. I would be surprised if the intelligent member you are saw no reasonable suggestions above about the Crematoria Reform Bill, nor saw no reasonable criticism in that disastrous Alternative Tax Act which was repealed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Do you always have to be so pompous and arrogant? Yes I can read and yes I know but it is still what is happening. It doesn't matter what the contex is, my statement is correct.
    You really need to ask that question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Inoffensive policies are not always good policies, a lot of the time inoffensive policies are policies which no member has a strong opinion about, leading to the bill passing but more abstains than ayes, and noes combined. No, I mean objectively bad policy which has not been thought through properly, for example, the Crematoria Reform Bill had no explanation how things would work; there were no clauses to state what power the monitoring agency would have to deal with bad crematoria; there was no detail on how arbitration of disputes would work, nor the process the body needs to follow when inspecting a crematorium, or the process for wanting to close down a crematorium. A bill to create a public body to monitor something but not say how the public body will monitor that thing, nor the power the public body has when monitoring the thing it is monitoring is objectively a bad policy.

It would be nice if policy could be debated, but as has been seen in the past with policy from the Labour Party, when reasonable objections are raised the objections are ignored, the bill goes to vote, and the party forces through the bill. I would be surprised if the intelligent member you are saw no reasonable suggestions above about the Crematoria Reform Bill, nor saw no reasonable criticism in that disastrous Alternative Tax Act which was repealed.
    Perhaps there could have been more detail on sanctions, heck I might amend it myself given what you've said but this is still a Model House and excessive detail (the bill you're describing could end up very, very long) isn't necessary for the policy to be debated. It's also disingenuous to suggest that because on that occassion we put forward an 'inoffensive' policy that we don't put forward substantial legislation.

Also we didn't ignore reasonable objections. I make a point of incorporating people's concerns in my party's bills. No one, including yourself, raised any of that in the debate on the Cremetoria bill. A point was raised about pay for the inspectors which we incorporated into the second reading.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.