Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who earns more? Doctor (say paediatrician) in UK or petroleum engineer in Dubai? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noumsey)
    Oh right i get you. But i feel like its more of a risk than Petroleum engineering, which is even more risky than Chemical engineering, in terms of job security. Furthermore, i know little about marketing careers so maybe just maybe if i get enough information about petroleum engineering, ill of into that and hopefully make a decent living alongside have fun travelling if possible.

By trading, do you mean day trading?
    No. I meant trading at an investment bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    No. I meant trading at an investment bank.
    That is wayyyyyyy too competitive. Plus i am pretty sure the hours worked are more ridiculous than the hours doctors work I'm pretty sure, so not much of a work life balance there too.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That is wayyyyyyy too competitive. Plus i am pretty sure the hours worked are more ridiculous than the hours doctors work I'm pretty sure, so not much of a work life balance there too.
    50-60 hrs a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    50-60 hrs a week

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait are we talking about the same thing? Im thinking like analyst etc. Is a trader a lot different to an analyst? Is it less competitive than becoming an analyst? Because i read a bit on Investment banking and i got told 100+ hours a week are common
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wait are we talking about the same thing? Im thinking like analyst etc. Is a trader a lot different to an analyst? Is it less competitive than becoming an analyst? Because i read a bit on Investment banking and i got told 100+ hours a week are common
    Lol, yes we are. You're thinking of an investment banking analyst, nobody in a markets role works that much.

Everything revenue generative is competitive, hell, every role really in a bank is competitive just some more than others. It's not like it's easy to get into BP or Shell either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol, yes we are. You're thinking of an investment banking analyst, nobody in a markets role works that much.

Everything revenue generative is competitive, hell, every role really in a bank is competitive just some more than others. It's not like it's easy to get into BP or Shell either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for clearing that up haha. And yeah I guess you're right about not being easy to get into BP or Shell as well. But i guess with a couple of placements and a first, I'm sure it would be easier to get into than Investment banking though right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks for clearing that up haha. And yeah I guess you're right about not being easy to get into BP or Shell as well. But i guess with a couple of placements and a first, I'm sure it would be easier to get into than Investment banking though right?
    Nope, would say they're about equal if you qualify it that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably even harder to get into than investment banking since so few grads are hired into trading desks every year.

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth mentioning that Consultant's you may have spoken to who are earning large amounts of money may well either locum or blend both NHS and private practice work. Some Doctor's make a lot of money that way but if you're not keen about working long hours it might not be for you!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, would say they're about equal if you qualify it that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But is it easier to get placements in engineering companies (e.g. Petroleum companies) than banking? I know it depends from bank to bank and company to company but i was asking generally.

(Original post by RunningBack34)
    It might be worth mentioning that Consultant's you may have spoken to who are earning large amounts of money may well either locum or blend both NHS and private practice work. Some Doctor's make a lot of money that way but if you're not keen about working long hours it might not be for you!
    Whats the % of consultants who usually do private work alongside normal work?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    But is it easier to get placements in engineering companies (e.g. Petroleum companies) than banking? I know it depends from bank to bank and company to company but i was asking generally.
    finance tends to be more competitive numbers wise but I would say they're comparable if you're a suitable candidate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    finance tends to be more competitive numbers wise but I would say they're comparable if you're a suitable candidate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I go to Sheffield though. Which isn't a target uni. Whereas I'm sure that Petroleum engineering companies don't really priorities unis that much. So in terms of uni, for me, I guess Petroleum engineering is easier?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I go to Sheffield though. Which isn't a target uni. Whereas I'm sure that Petroleum engineering companies don't really priorities unis that much. So in terms of uni, for me, I guess Petroleum engineering is easier?
    And? I have a friend at Sheffield, they got 3 first year spring programs. The people on the board of the investment society all have top offers.

Imo, do what interests you most. I only suggested it because it seems like money is a key driver for you - which by itself won't suffice with many careers (even finance) mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.