Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chemistry Orbitals/Shells/Subshells PLEASE HELP Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)
    Just finished AS, started A2 last week ( for maths, fm, physics&chemistry), pretty worried about how revising for exams is going to be like this year, having to know 2 years of content for 2 subjects :/, and yourself?
    Oh niceeee! You'll probably ace them lol. I'm doing bio/chem/business/ict for AS. I really don't want to drop chemistry but it's just SO HARD same goes for biology oh wellll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfection Ace)
    Oh niceeee! You'll probably ace them lol. I'm doing bio/chem/business/ict for AS. I really don't want to drop chemistry but it's just SO HARD same goes for biology oh wellll
    Can't speak for biology but chemistry just needs a lot of practice, I'd say it's quite easy to get an A/B but very hard to get over 90%, in our school only 4-5 people got above 90% for the real exams (myself included ) but there were so many people predicted high A's who had achieved low/mid A's or even B's from lack of revision.

Chemistry is very fun but it's also very much a case of 'you get what you put in', so if you're willing to keep up with homework, make notes in spare time (closer to exams), read ahead now and then etc you should be fine. Also bare in mind it's only the second week, you have an entire year to learn and revise this stuff (even 2 years if you aren't doing AS exams in reformed subjects)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)
    Can't speak for biology but chemistry just needs a lot of practice, I'd say it's quite easy to get an A/B but very hard to get over 90%, in our school only 4-5 people got above 90% for the real exams (myself included ) but there were so many people predicted high A's who had achieved low/mid A's or even B's from lack of revision.

Chemistry is very fun but it's also very much a case of 'you get what you put in', so if you're willing to keep up with homework, make notes in spare time (closer to exams), read ahead now and then etc you should be fine. Also bare in mind it's only the second week, you have an entire year to learn and revise this stuff (even 2 years if you aren't doing AS exams in reformed subjects)
    Dayyyyum, getting an A must be super hard - I would be happy with a C tbh lol, what exam board do you do?

Yeah I'm just hella scared about what's to come in the course and if it's actually doable

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dayyyyum, getting an A must be super hard - I would be happy with a C tbh lol, what exam board do you do?

Yeah I'm just hella scared about what's to come in the course and if it's actually doable

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do OCR A, I think getting an A this year wasn't that hard, some people in my year got A's that I definitely wouldn't have expected to. If you had decent notes and went through the textbook & revision guides then it wasn't so bad, all the calculation questions were similar to past papers for chemistry so if you practiced those enough it was a lot of easy marks. They had quite a few 1-2 mark questions that required you to apply knowledge in strange ways but if you practice past papers then they aren't too bad (even if you get it wrong its only 1-2 marks).

Like I said earlier you have an entire year to learn and revise these things, just by having the right attitude throughout the year will get you a good grade as you'll have much less work when it comes to revising, which you obviously have because you made this thread when you didn't understand something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)
    I do OCR A, I think getting an A this year wasn't that hard, some people in my year got A's that I definitely wouldn't have expected to. If you had decent notes and went through the textbook & revision guides then it wasn't so bad, all the calculation questions were similar to past papers for chemistry so if you practiced those enough it was a lot of easy marks. They had quite a few 1-2 mark questions that required you to apply knowledge in strange ways but if you practice past papers then they aren't too bad (even if you get it wrong its only 1-2 marks).

Like I said earlier you have an entire year to learn and revise these things, just by having the right attitude throughout the year will get you a good grade as you'll have much less work when it comes to revising, which you obviously have because you made this thread when you didn't understand something
    Ahhh right and yeah loool. I'm doing OCR A as well

Can you help me with this question as well?

Work out the maxiumum number of elextrons which can be found within each region; A 2p orbital, The 3s subshell, The 4th shell. My answers for 2p orbital is 6, for 3s subshell i got is 2, and 4th shell is 32. Are my answers right? What's the difference between subshell and orbital o.O

ReputationRep:
    I believe 2&3 are right, a 2p orbital can only hold two electrons however. The p subshell contains three p orbitals that each hold two electrons. Any orbital can only hold two electrons and a subshell is a group of orbitals of the same type (either s p d or f)
    S subshell - 1 s orbital
    P subshell - 3 p orbitals
    D subshell - 5 d orbitals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)
    I believe 2&3 are right, a 2p orbital can only hold two electrons however. The p subshell contains three p orbitals that each hold two electrons. Any orbital can only hold two electrons and a subshell is a group of orbitals of the same type (either s p d or f)
    S subshell - 1 s orbital
    P subshell - 3 p orbitals
    D subshell - 5 d orbitals
    Whaaaaa, but it says maximum number of electrons? I thought p Orbitals can hold 6 electrons? From what I've learnt, within energy levels, there are sublevels (spdf) which are made up of orbitals?? I feel like throwing up, this is soooo hard.

ReputationRep:
    Whaaaaa, but it says maximum number of electrons? I thought p Orbitals can hold 6 electrons? From what I've learnt, within energy levels, there are sublevels (spdf) which are made up of orbitals?? I feel like throwing up, this is soooo hard.
    The p subshell (made of 3 p orbitals) can hold 6 electrons yes, but the question is asking about just one of these orbitals rather than the whole subshell.
    Lets take the 2nd shell for example, it has an s subshell (containing one s orbital) and a p subshell (containing 3 p orbitals) and each of these orbitals can only hold two electrons at most, regardless of what type of orbital it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JN17)
    The p subshell (made of 3 p orbitals) can hold 6 electrons yes, but the question is asking about just one of these orbitals rather than the whole subshell.
    Lets take the 2nd shell for example, it has an s subshell (containing one s orbital) and a p subshell (containing 3 p orbitals) and each of these orbitals can only hold two electrons at most, regardless of what type of orbital it is.
    OHHHHHHHH, orbitals can only hold 2 electronsssss! And p can hold 3 orbitals which mean 6. Okay thanks a lot bro, I get it now. Now I just need to work on ionic equations 💀💀

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.