The Student Room Group

FGM on girls has a rate of 500 a week, UK, edit, it's a month not a week.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Circumcision may lead to somewhat lesser sensitivity...while as far as I've heard FGM pretty much destroys pleasure and causes much pain. I still think circumcision should only be legal for adults, or when it is medically required, but the comparison is quite facile.
edit: Probably the strength of my opposition to circumcision is underplayed here. I think both, when done to children, are abhorrent. But I'm just saying FGM seems to have more adverse affects, and therefore its greater coverage could be justified.

I believe there are many types of FGM that are illegal, some are comparable to male circumcision some clearly aren't.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
Prosecuting this many people would be almost impossible. Sending them back is also impossible, they are 'British' now and it wouldn't stop FGM, as is the goal but resign the girls to their fate in another part of the world.

We couldn't take an extra 500 children a month into care, our social services are already at breaking point.

So I must ask, what are the 'easy' solutions ? I realize you don't mean easy, but direct actions we could take, and again I would say what are they ?

Back log our already backlogged courts ? pressure our already strained social services ? Try and exile British citizens ?

I don't think this is the case as the message would soon be received that we are going to take action and stop this.

But this is part of the problem we spend so much time hand wringing over the issue and all the while little girls are being mutilated.
Original post by z33
holy **** the numbers are THAT high :eek:

They aren't no.

Even the report only claims 500 per month, and that claim is far from certain and is undoubtedly among the higher estimates. Another conclusion of the same report is that we don't know much about what's going on and that we need more information.
Original post by BaconandSauce
It should be a criminal offense with action taken by children services

Only by taking tough action can we prevent this.

This sounds like an awful idea.

Can you imagine - you've been on a weeks holiday to dubai, coming back to Britain: oh sorry, you're not allowed back in until your two daughters, aged 6 and 14 lets say, have dropped their pants and had their vaginas examined in detail by immigration officials. Yuck.

Not to mention the huge cost of such an intervention, and it's likely ineffectiveness (the truly determined will fly to Paris and return by boat).
Is that all?
Original post by nexttime

Can you imagine - you've been on a weeks holiday to dubai, coming back to Britain: oh sorry, you're not allowed back in until your two daughters, aged 6 and 14 lets say, have dropped their pants and had their vaginas examined in detail by immigration officials. Yuck.

Not to mention the huge cost of such an intervention, and it's likely ineffectiveness (the truly determined will fly to Paris and return by boat).

I'm not from a group at risk not would my children be so why would it apply to me?

It seems you are more concerned about offending the parents and any cost of policing this than stopping children getting mutilated but this should be done by a doctor not just some random official

a perfect example of the problem we face when trying to stop this abuse of small children
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think this is the case as the message would soon be received that we are going to take action and stop this.

But this is part of the problem we spend so much time hand wringing over the issue and all the while little girls are being mutilated.

WE can't sort it out precisely for the same reason that WE cannot tackle violent Islam, it's not our problem to fix or change. It's a Muslim issue and they have to want to fix, we can support them of course.

But as usual the majority are complicit in the denying it has anything to do with them.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
WE can't sort it out precisely for the same reason that WE cannot tackle violent Islam, it's not our problem to fix or change. It's a Muslim issue and they have to want to fix, we can support them of course.

But as usual the majority are complicit in the denying it has anything to do with them.

I do agree but as we can see the community do not want this fixed and are happy with the status quo (so much so it seems members of the community are moving from the rest of Europe to the UK as we are so lax about dealing with this)
I'm not from a group at risk not would my children be so why would it apply to me?

It seems you are more concerned about offending the parents and any cost of policing this than stopping children getting mutilated but this should be done by a doctor not just some random official

a perfect example of the problem we face when trying to stop this abuse of small children

Thanks for the flagrant display of selfishness. I was asking you to put yourself in someone else's shoes. You sold try it sometime.

Not that targeting these examinations based on nationality wouldn't have its own major moral problems. Perhaps we should give them all electronic tags whilst we're at it?

It being a doctor hardly makes it better. That's just a) about 20x more expensive (due to a doctor lacking the flexibility to do other airport tasks, so will presumably have many hours of downtime when flights aren't arriving) and b) makes them significantly more likely to be a man. Which many minority groups will be even more offended by.

I'm concerned about not turning the country into a place where anyone is forced to have a vaginal examination against their will, let alone doing it to children on a massive scale, let alone deliberatately targeting only certain ethnicities! What if the child is too scared to cooperate - will you have some porters on standby for holding kids down whilst this doctor does the business? That's essentially child abuse in islelf! It's a horrendous suggestion!
Thanks for the flagrant display of selfishness.

So it selfish to not belong to a group who mutilate their children

As I said my concern is for the children not the parents sensibilities

and it wouldn't be a 'massive' scale but the cost should be irrelevant
Lol I swear all your posts are about Islam or immigration somehow haha
FGM is hands down one of the most disgusting things that could happen to a girl. I read up on some Somalian model's autobiography on hwo she went through FGM and it was horrible to read. I remember reading somewhere that France are doing regular checkups on little girls to make sure none of them is going through it.

There's something wrong with you if you view girls having vaginas examined to see if they've undergone FGM during the holiday as "yuck". It's a serious problem in the UK and more girls are being taken abroad to have it done. It needs to be tackled.
You must have such a sad life if all you do is make threads painting Muslims as the devil.
Children should simply be removed from families when they are at risk.

Once a girl has been mutilated it's too late.

Not necessarily. When I was reading about some model and when she went through FGM, she was sewn up down there and was opened up again by a doctor here who dealt with cases like hers. She described being able to pee properly as the best feeling in the world which kind of made me really sad.
Original post by inspiringtop123
You must have such a sad life if all you do is make threads painting Muslims as the devil.

Look up the stats yourself. Majority of FGM is done in Muslim countries. I don't know if it says anywhere in the Quran about this but the trend is shocking.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Look up the stats yourself. Majority of FGM is done in Muslim countries. I don't know if it says anywhere in the Quran about this but the trend is shocking.

I doubt OP actually cares, considering his other posts all he cares about is bashing Muslims as rapists, murderers, molesters and ignoring all the good things that they do.

https://www.indy100.com/article/this-mosque-in-birmingham-is-offering-free-meals-to-the-homeless-over-the-christmas-period--W1JW74xNil
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

I believe it's based upon culture rather than religion
Original post by inspiringtop123
I doubt OP actually cares, considering his other posts all he cares about is bashing Muslims as rapists, murderers, molesters and ignoring all the good things that they do.

https://www.indy100.com/article/this-mosque-in-birmingham-is-offering-free-meals-to-the-homeless-over-the-christmas-period--W1JW74xNil

Does he put every single Muslim down as a rapist, murderer or a molester?
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
I believe it's based upon culture rather than religion

Yeah I thought so. It's like 80% culture and 20% religion. The warped culture of the little girl staying pure for marriage and only undergoing FGM is the way to getting yourself a husband. It's honestly sickening.

Quick Reply