Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucasleiva)
    may i know is my method of calculating the mean ionic activity is right or wrong?i multiply the activity coefficient with the molarity (0.0325M)
    Yeah that's right. It's calculating the activity coefficient that is tricky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Yeah that's right. It's calculating the activity coefficient that is tricky.
    i see, thank you. but i have another way of calculating the mean ionic activity, which is [(0.0325 x 4 )^4 (0.0325)]^(1/5) x mean activity coefficient.

and i get a different value, is this method correct?

ReputationRep:
    i see, thank you. but i have another way of calculating the mean ionic activity, which is [(0.0325 x 4 )^4 (0.0325)]^(1/5) x mean activity coefficient.

and i get a different value, is this method correct?
    I can't tell what that thing is by looking at the numbers. What is the name of the model you used?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I can't tell what that thing is by looking at the numbers. What is the name of the model you used?
    sorry i couldnt tell. But im given this sets of formula by my teacher:Mean activity, a+- = (a+.a-)^(1/2) mean activity coefficient, y+- = (y+.y-)^(1/2)
    Mean molality, m+- = (m+.m-)^(1/2) a+- = (y+-)(m+-)

ReputationRep:
    sorry i couldnt tell. But im given this sets of formula by my teacher:Mean activity, a+- = (a+.a-)^(1/2) mean activity coefficient, y+- = (y+.y-)^(1/2)
    Mean molality, m+- = (m+.m-)^(1/2) a+- = (y+-)(m+-)
    Use the Davies model to calculate the activity coefficients and activities for each ion, then use those formulae to calculate what the question asks for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Use the Davies model to calculate the activity coefficients and activities for each ion, then use those formulae to calculate what the question asks for.
    those formulae can be used? since i dun have the molality

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.