Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    But then nobody could afford to go unless they were rich.
    I would have an extensive scholarship scheme to ensure entry for all those of university level ability but how it would be dealed with i dont know it is a problem. Any idea how the americans deal with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    I would have an extensive scholarship scheme to ensure entry for all those of university level ability but how it would be dealed with i dont know it is a problem. Any idea how the americans deal with it?
    higher taxes anyone?
    EDIT: America is simply richer so i imagine they Gov/state plays a key role in funding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    actually there is an american university handing out i-pods to its studentsto help them study. i think they're sadly deluded if they think that ipods are going to be used primarily for data transfer.
    A point on US universities though i believe they do actually hand out large amounts of funding and not that many students end up paying the full whack
    Yeah thats Duke university, i was quite impressed with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    higher taxes anyone?
    Not necessarily. The money currently used to fund our universities and students could be used to fund scholarships while the tuition fees fund the Universities.

ReputationRep:
    the uk does have a very good system of sponsorship though this does tend to apply to science students in the main. does anyone know if the US has a similar system

ReputationRep:
    the uk does have a very good system of sponsorship though this does tend to apply to science students in the main. does anyone know if the US has a similar system
    Something like 80% of students in the US have some sort of scholarship or bursary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Something like 80% of students in the US have some sort of scholarship or bursary.
    mmm thought so i was talking about corporate sponsorship though companies (the military being a big one here) help you through university by paying you quite a large sum of cash and in return you spend a predefined length of time working in the company normally between 1 and 2 years, the military sector tend to do this a lot

ReputationRep:
    Labour have done well as amazing trade said:

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    Improved NHS
    Reduced crime figures although I am not sure if crime has actually gone down.
    But I would also say that on these issue they could be a plus:

The 50% HE target - I think it's a good thing to open up opportunity for all
    Their trasnport policies suck, I thought they were pro public transport but I have seen very very little edividence of this - They have been a bit slow on this issue after the mess the Tories left, and we can't afford to renationalise things like the railways.

ReputationRep:
    The bad thing about scholarships etc is that whilst it does allow the very very bright, but poor, people to go to uni, say if were an OKish poor person you wouldn't get in, whilst an OKish rich person would cos they wouldn't need a scholarship. The poor have to work so much more harder sadly .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    The bad thing about scholarships etc is that whilst it does allow the very very bright, but poor, people to go to uni, say if were an OKish poor person you wouldn't get in, whilst an OKish rich person would cos they wouldn't need a scholarship. The poor have to work so much more harder sadly .
    It is unfair but unfortunately that is life at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Labour have done well as amazing trade said:

But I would also say that on these issue they could be a plus:

Their trasnport policies suck, I thought they were pro public transport but I have seen very very little edividence of this - They have been a bit slow on this issue after the mess the Tories left, and we can't afford to renationalise things like the railways.
    Buses in London are a lot better now, i think Ken Livingstone is actually quite a good guy and i think he has the right general idea (calling SUV drivers a bunch of idiots haha)

ReputationRep:
    mmm thought so i was talking about corporate sponsorship though companies (the military being a big one here) help you through university by paying you quite a large sum of cash and in return you spend a predefined length of time working in the company normally between 1 and 2 years, the military sector tend to do this a lot
    This is what i would introduce. There are currently bursaries and scholarships available from the armed forces, i would extend this to scholarships etc from the government which you accept by agreeing to commit yourself to 3 years or so working for the civil service/NHS whatever.

ReputationRep:

The opportunity is already open, we dont need 50% of the population to be made up of university graduates. We have a population of 60million, what the hell do we need 30 million doctors,lawyers, accountants, academics, military officers, managers, bankers, scientists etcetcetc for?

ReputationRep:
    This is what i would introduce. There are currently bursaries and scholarships available from the armed forces, i would extend this to scholarships etc from the government which you accept by agreeing to commit yourself to 3 years or so working for the civil service/NHS whatever.
    There are lots of sponsorships open from engineering and pharmaceutical companies some actually don't even require you to work for them afterwards which is brilliant

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of sponsorships open from engineering and pharmaceutical companies some actually don't even require you to work for them afterwards which is brilliant
    Yes it is scholarships should be more common.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed espically when there are shortages in more vocational jobs. The value of certain degrees must be severely doubted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Indeed espically when there are shortages in more vocational jobs. The value of certain degrees must be severely doubted.
    Exactly and yet labour are encouraging immigrants to come in to fill the vocational work we cant fill because too many people are going to universities doing degrees they dont need. Its a joke and sums up the reason i cant stand politics, theyre bandying the '50%' in HE figure like its an achievement, then behind that theyre inviting immigrants in to the country to fill the gap left by those going into HE who would normally be mechanics etc

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the value of a specific degree is undervalued if lots go to uni. Most know that a degree from Oxford or Cambridge is better than at most other unis, and similarly down the pecking order. And most people know which courses require hard work and which don't, and which ones are worth it.

As for immigrant workers, they tend to fill jobs that most people would consider themselves to above for, like cleaning.

ReputationRep:
    Labour - the lesser of the evils.

ReputationRep:
    Buses in Manchester have not improved, more and more people are moving here (especialy to South Manchester) and more and more people need to be moved, there isn't enough space on the road for more buses and cars, so the tram expansion was needed, however Labour have rejected this even though its 100% essential.

This why Northerners tend to feel a bit left out by the southern based government and why people get annoyed about it.

As for the Midlands I doubt know why they are not getting a regional assembly but its the MPs of the regions that decide so you should ask them.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.