Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    it can make them too real though. Once while I was asleep I got pins and needles and dremt that I had been shot in the leg, and it was very frightening to wake up
    lol....I don't actually have dreams, so I'm OK. And I never let anyone wake me up before I want to get up (an effective prevention for sleep paralysis...get up when you're ready,and not at some godforsaken hour)

ReputationRep:
    it can make them too real though. Once while I was asleep I got pins and needles and dremt that I had been shot in the leg, and it was very frightening to wake up
    woah thats deep; ive always had very scary dreams but ive never once been shot or died.

yet.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i've had that too. also dreamt i was bitten by a poisonous spider and woke up and couldnt feel my arm - completely freaked out and turned on the light in a panic and then realised i had been sleeping on it. dur. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    one time i slept on my arm (i.e. with arm under pillow)
    the pins and needles had got so bad, that i woke up in the middle of the night and couldnt control my arm whatsoever :eek:
    i had to carry it with my other arm for about half an hour after

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't get sleep paralysis though I have suddenly started having weird dreams all the time (and not about anything in specific). A while ago I kept on waking up in the middle of the night for no reason - I heard a swooshing noise then jolted awake - that was really annoying coz it startled me (once I heard the noise in my dream I had enough time to think cr*p not again)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    the pins and needles had got so bad, that i woke up in the middle of the night and couldnt control my arm whatsoever :eek:
    Oh I do that all the time. My arm just goes dead and I can pick it up without feeling a thing. Then if I let it go it just drops even though I'm trying to keep it up. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Oh I do that all the time. My arm just goes dead and I can pick it up without feeling a thing. Then if I let it go it just drops even though I'm trying to keep it up. :rolleyes:
    its really weird - you get no feeling at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    It's annoying and horrible when you wake up though, especially if your bed is one of those ones a bit off the floor, I tried to grab onto the bar to lower myself down and my arm just flopped down next to me on the bed Had to sit and wait for the feeling to come back for 5 minutes :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    Yeah I wake up with no blood in my arm sometimes. It's just all floppy and uncontrollable.

I keep meaning to try "The Stranger" but never think of it at the time.

ReputationRep:
    oh yes, and theres times that I wake up but think I'm still asleep so when I was younger i was too scared to call for my mum and now I end up sitting there for five minutes trying to decide if i am in a dream, or have a half state of consiousness that means I try to wakeup but cant as a nightmares happening... didn't help by the fact that my imagination when I was younger was VERY active so everything seemed twice as real!

Got that too, tiny figure at the door edging towards me... Ive only had the paralysis when ive been sleeping on my back? what about everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Yeah I wake up with no blood in my arm sometimes. It's just all floppy and uncontrollable.

I keep meaning to try "The Stranger" but never think of it at the time.
    Whats this "The Stranger" then?

ReputationRep:
    Sleep Paralysis sucks, lets just call it a day on the subject, unless someone knows anything that prevents them from happening?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    That is very common...there's even a special term for it but I can't for the life of me think what it is right now. Apparently it generally happens just as you are drifting off to sleep.
    The term is myclonic jerk... .

Really, you don't need to see a doctor about sleep paralysis (SP), it's a great thing to have, and it's a great way into lucid dreaming (LDing) (the WILD technique, as it's called) . Every thread I see about dreams now I post this link... lol

http://www.ld4all.com

You generally get SP while going to sleep if your mind stays concious while your body is going to sleep, if you imagine yourself spinning round and visualise a dream, then tell yourself (not literally) that when you open your eyes you will be there, you may find yourself in a dream, and know about it...
    It's easier to do if you haven't had much sleep lately though, because REM sleep doesn't generally happen until 90 mins after you go to sleep. IT starts sooner if you haven't had enough REM lately. That's not to say you don't dream in the non-REM phase, juts that the dreams don't tend to be the same / aren't always there...

edit: btw, the forum at the link above may be helpful to you if you really want to stop it. Personally I'd give er... something... for your situation. I've had 2 LDs and neither of them have been through WILD tho...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McGeadie)
    Sleep Paralysis sucks, lets just call it a day on the subject, unless someone knows anything that prevents them from happening?
    I don't think there is, but I'm going to see my doc to see if there's anything he can do anyway. It's just weird that I get it as I'm falling asleep, rather than when I'm waking up, and that I'm getting it so often.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.