Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Which of these is the best open-world video game franchise?

• View Poll Results: Best open world video game?
    Call of Duty
    6.25%
    The Last of Us
    6.25%
    Grand Theft Auto
    53.13%
    Halo
    0%
    Assassin's Creed
    15.63%
    No Man's Sky
    0%
    The Elder Scrolls
    40.63%
    Uncharted
    15.63%
    Red Dead Redemption
    21.88%
    Resident Evil
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    I really wouldn't say that The Last of Us, Halo, CoD, Uncharted, or Resident Evil are open world games. Sure, they have large levels that can be navigated through in different ways and explored, but they are all distinct and separate from each other. Open world, in my view, refers to games with environments that are much larger than those of the games mentioned above, in which the map is continuous and the player can access most parts of it at any time without going through loading screens.

My favourite game is RDR (shame it only launched on PS3!), even though my favourite franchise is undoubtedly GTA.

[edit] You may wanna include Deus Ex and Far Cry in there.
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Loved RDR. I just really wish I could play on PC. GTA is one of the best though imo
    Would you guys buy the next RDR game if it came out on ps4 or pc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drex50)
    Yep - as long as it got like decent reviews and ****

ReputationRep:
    Yep - as long as it got like decent reviews and ****
    Would you ever pre order it?

ReputationRep:
    TES hands down

ReputationRep:
    On PC, definitely

ReputationRep:
    Witcher 3, Fallout 3 and 4, Oblivion, Skyrim, Mercenaries on Xbox.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest that you acquaint yourself with the definition of the phrase 'open world' before someone rightfully bludgeons you over the head with an original Xbox.

ReputationRep:
    Would you ever pre order it?
    Nah - I don't mind waiting an extra day or two and getting £10 less value in order to make sure that it's alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Too similar to Elder Scrolls.
    Right, so you've filled it with games that aren't open world and then exclude major open world franchises because "they're similar to something else", and then have equally similar games listed. What's the excuse for no fallout, too similar to TLOU because they're both post apocalyptic even though only one is open world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Witcher 3, Fallout 3 and 4, Oblivion, Skyrim, Mercenaries on Xbox.
    Wait, Fallout 3 and 4 are distinct franchises, as are Oblivion and Skyrim?

ReputationRep:
    Well... I have a rank 380 character in GTA Online... so that answers your question

ReputationRep:
    Nah - I don't mind waiting an extra day or two and getting £10 less value in order to make sure that it's alright.
    please explain, i don't understand

ReputationRep:
    please explain, i don't understand
    Preordering the game from Steam only gives you 2 hours to play it before asking for a refund - not enough time to see whether a game as expansive as RDR is worth it.

Preorders tend to have something extra thrown in for the same price - that's the extra £10 value I was talking about. I wouldn't risk buying a £40 or £50 game just to get some DLC, and then finding out that it's **** and wasn't worth the purchase. It's all about whether the benefit of getting some minor extra cosmetics and a mission or two are worth the risk of the game not living up to expectations.

ReputationRep:
    The Elder Scrolls is probably the best of those, you forgot Lord of the Rings on line which is pretty good too. Although I have been permanently banned from both, which is impressive considering what I actually did.

ReputationRep:
    Half of those aren't even open world

ReputationRep:
    The Witcher 3!!!!

ReputationRep:
    for me ists gotta be the assassins creed games just cos i like the idea of games where you can interact with various significant moments in history and meet famous historical people eg: leonardo da vinci ac2, blackbeard ac4 and jack the ripper in ac syndicate.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.