Why do mixed race people describe themselves as black?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    ....In what way have you been 'discriminated against' for being white? And someone making a joke about white people doesn't count.
    I live close to a ghetto. People from there always come over my way, drunk, and yell racial slurs at every white person they see. Sure they're drunk, but if a white person were to do it to a black person while drunk they'd be arrested.

At my old school minorities were always given the opportunity to talk first in any activities, simply because they weren't white. The teachers would also take their side without reviewing evidence in disputes, resulting in cases of minority students saying things like "X did Y to me" out of the blue (where X is a white person) and X immediately being punished despite doing nothing wrong.

White people are forbidden by society to feel any pride in being white, while all others races are praised for it. I once expressed this and was chased out of the classroom by black kids for being 'racist.' People also automatically assume you're racist if you're white and hurl racial abuse at us while using the nonsensical idea that 'black people can't be racist' or 'you can't be racist towards white people' to get away with it.

Then there's the way the 'equality' act 2010 discriminates against white people by allowing employers to pick candidates based on race. If a black person and a white person with equal qualifications apply for the same job, employers will choose the black guy simply because he's black.

I can go on and on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    ....In what way have you been 'discriminated against' for being white? And someone making a joke about white people doesn't count.
    So if I make jokes about black people that's ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    So if I make jokes about black people that's ok?
    Jokes don't really have anything to do with 'white privilege'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    I live close to a ghetto. People from there always come over my way, drunk, and yell racial slurs at every white person they see. Sure they're drunk, but if a white person were to do it to a black person while drunk they'd be arrested.

At my old school minorities were always given the opportunity to talk first in any activities, simply because they weren't white. The teachers would also take their side without reviewing evidence in disputes, resulting in cases of minority students saying things like "X did Y to me" out of the blue (where X is a white person) and X immediately being punished despite doing nothing wrong.

White people are forbidden by society to feel any pride in being white, while all others races are praised for it. I once expressed this and was chased out of the classroom by black kids for being 'racist.' People also automatically assume you're racist if you're white and hurl racial abuse at us while using the nonsensical idea that 'black people can't be racist' or 'you can't be racist towards white people' to get away with it.

Then there's the way the 'equality' act 2010 discriminates against white people by allowing employers to pick candidates based on race. If a black person and a white person with equal qualifications apply for the same job, employers will choose the black guy simply because he's black.

I can go on and on.
    A lot of the things you have stated seem to only effect you personally, and I believe most definitely not a wide range of the white population.

The Equality Act 2010 does not discriminate against white people. That's an absurd thing to say. Why would an act in favour of equality DISCRIMINATE against someone because of the colour of their skin? Also there isn't any statistical evidence to back your claim that a black person has more chance of getting a job than a white person, both having the same qualifications. You never hear of white people being treated unfair because of their skin colour and work... ain't that something?

I find it hard to comprehend how a subjugated group can be racist following the definition of the term racist. If you would like to enlighten me, feel free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradesUnlocked)
    A lot of the things you have stated seem to only effect you personally, and I believe most definitely not a wide range of the white population.

The Equality Act 2010 does not discriminate against white people. That's an absurd thing to say. Why would an act in favour of equality DISCRIMINATE against someone because of the colour of their skin? Also there isn't any statistical evidence to back your claim that a black person has more chance of getting a job than a white person, both having the same qualifications. You never hear of white people being treated unfair because of their skin colour and work... ain't that something?

I find it hard to comprehend how a subjugated group can be racist following the definition of the term racist. If you would like to enlighten me, feel free.
    Racist - noun: "a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another."
    - adjective: "having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another."

Anyone can be racist, it's not exclusive to white people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Racist - noun: "a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another."
    - adjective: "having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another."

Anyone can be racist, it's not exclusive to white people.
    Right, you've given me the definition of racist, not that I didn't know it. Thanks.

Racism refers to social actions, practices, beliefs or political systems that consider different races to do ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other.

Black people, not only speaking for the past after Africa being colonised and the whole slave trade and years of being oppressed, but also speaking for today - us black people do not have the resources to impose oppressive structures which enforces our 'superiority'.

I'm hoping to bring this discussion to a close soon, I'm tired lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradesUnlocked)
    Right, you've given me the definition of racist, not that I didn't know it. Thanks.

Racism refers to social actions, practices, beliefs or political systems that consider different races to do ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other.

Black people, not only speaking for the past after Africa being colonised and the whole slave trade and years of being oppressed, but also speaking for today - us black people do not have the resources to impose oppressive structures which enforces our 'superiority'.

I'm hoping to bring this discussion to a close soon, I'm tired lol.

Yes blacks certainly DO have the "resources to impose oppressive structures". They often have a tendency to live in their own communities, populated mostly by members of their own race. With numbers on their side, they can easily make it unpleasant for non-members of their little in-group that happen to live amongst or close to them.

Also, I lived in Malaysia for 2 years and people there have prejudices against whites. They always overcharge us (often by extortionately large amounts - the expats joke about it, call it the "white skin" tax) and they spread rumours about us being "immoral" and white women being "sluts" etc. They gave my sister a hard time over it. Lots of backhanded gossip, just because she was white. If that's not racism, I don't know what is. And we still had to observe the laws like everyone else. No white privilege there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm mixed and i don't describe myself as black. I'm half white half chinese/filipino lol.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.