What is your favorite book? and what would you recommend?

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEM AND BIO TIME!)
    Bit off topic, anyone addicted to audiobooks before bed? Any good recommendations?
    Star wars audio books are pretty good, if you want to know where to start I suggest the Darth Bane trilogy. Ever wondered where Palpetine came from and who trained him, who Anakin's father was, what happened after return of the Jedi?

If you like the Star Wars universe I can't recommend them enough, especially the Darth Bane trilogy. The down sides are you will have a new hatred for the way Disney has went away from the official canon because the original source material was so good imo after RotJ, also, there are well over 100 audio books so it'll have you busy for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanSoloLuck)
    Star wars audio books are pretty good, if you want to know where to start I suggest the Darth Bane trilogy. Ever wondered where Palpetine came from and who trained him, who Anakin's father was, what happened after return of the Jedi?

If you like the Star Wars universe I can't recommend them enough, especially the Darth Bane trilogy. The down sides are you will have a new hatred for the way Disney has went away from the official canon because the original source material was so good imo after RotJ, also, there are well over 100 audio books so it'll have you busy for a while.
    Definitely going to have a listen! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    A-level AQA Physics book
    Absolutely ace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEM AND BIO TIME!)
    Definitely going to have a listen! Thanks!
    I'm actually excited for you, while it's a little down the line (and assuming you make it this far) make sure to read 'The Lost Tribe of the Sith' BEFORE listening to the 'Fate of the Jedi' story arc. There is no audio book for it but it fills in a lot of back story.

After the Bane trilogy you can move in order or skip straight to 'Plaguis' if you like/want.

Also the books and audio books are a lot darker than the movies, just so you know.

All of these audio books are available on the pirate bay for free, if you need help locating them PM me.

Finally, invest on a little bluetooth speaker for your phone/laptop to connect to. When you are cleaning up/doing dishes or even in the shower you can listen away and it makes chores fun.

PS, Death Troopers was pretty good if you like dark fantasy, zombies in Star Wars, which also had a prequel called Red Harvest. While most felt these to be some of the weaker books in the expanded universe I really liked them.

ReputationRep:
    Kit's Wilderness
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
    :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikiniikilll)
    My favorites are
    To kill a mocking bird
    Guitar girl
    Go set a watchmen
    I've been meaning to read both To Kill A Mockingbird and Go Set A Watchman! I prefer buying books (usually second-hand) to borrowing from the library so I'm looking for prices that I can afford.

As for my favourite books:
    — Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck) [Discovered whilst studying GCSE English]
    — An Inspector Calls (J.B. Priestley) [Yep, GCSE English]
    — Blood Wedding (Federico Garcia Lorca) [Somewhat based on true events. Not sure if it counts as a book because it was written for theatre but really good, nonetheless]

I would recommend the above books as well as:
    — The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Mark Haddon)

...I should read more books...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FantasticMsFox;67667990[b)
    ]I've been meaning to read both To Kill A Mockingbird and Go Set A Watchman! I prefer buying books (usually second-hand) to borrowing from the library so I'm looking for prices that I can afford.[/b]

— Blood Wedding (Federico Garcia Lorca) [Somewhat based on true events. Not sure if it counts as a book because it was written for theatre but really good, nonetheless]

Definitely read them if you get the chance! I prefer Mockingbird to Watchman, although I only finished the latter a few days so I'm still not sure how I feel about it....

My favourite book is Jane Eyre.
    I recommend any kind of classic Gothic horror, the Hannibal Lecter series by Thomas Harris and anything by Gillian Flynn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FantasticMsFox)
    I've been meaning to read both To Kill A Mockingbird and Go Set A Watchman! I prefer buying books (usually second-hand) to borrowing from the library so I'm looking for prices that I can afford.

You should definitely read TKAM/Go set a watchman, but i loved TKAM. I loved Of mice and Men while studying it at GCSE, didn't like An inspector calls though. I'm more into American novels

ReputationRep:
    Regarding dramaturgy, The Foundation by Antonio Buero Vallejo is one of my favourites books. At the beginning you'll find yourself completely lost, but the end is mind blowing. Lots of human values and faces portrayed and such a nice criticism of Spanish history during the past century.

For those who love crime fiction, I'd recommend the Millennium saga by Stieg Larsson (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest). Amazing plot and amazing characters. Authors like John Connolly are worth reading too

ReputationRep:
    My all time favourite has to be Stephen Kings Joyland. Great story and very well written about a young guy who moves to a small summer town and works in a theme park to get over a girl, but stumbles upon a strange secret.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
    1984 by George Orwell.
    The Plague by Albert Camus.
    Anything by Scott Fitzgerald.
    Damn, I should've taken a level English.

ReputationRep:
    Recently read "A Little Life" by Hanya Yanagihara - incredible, would highly recommend!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.