The Student Room Group

People that went to not so great universities

Scroll to see replies

Where are the Kings' College students on this thread?
Reply 21
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

Hoping King's College doesn't get mentioned.

*goes back into hiding*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully, I'll be one next year:biggrin: tbh, i was worried people will start bashing kings, i've read "strand polytechnic" which is rather annoying, but hey its a great uni and idc.
Original post by Punkrockfan
Hopefully, I'll be one next year:biggrin: tbh, i was worried people will start bashing kings, i've read "strand polytechnic" which is rather annoying, but hey its a great uni and idc.

It was just satirical banter.
Original post by BioGeek
If you do a STEM degree (regardless of the University) you attend, your options are just as good if you went to a higher University.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLikP6BDH5w
Warwick is really quite a good university, I think that hate on this website is unfounded. One person hates then a bunch of other people jump on board without knowing why they're hating. People just hate Warwick because it's cool to hate Warwick.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Warwick is really quite a good university, I think that hate on this website is unfounded. One person hates then a bunch of other people jump on board without knowing why they're hating. People just hate Warwick because it's cool to hate Warwick.

I feel like people only go to Warwick for banking - It's also got a pretty piss poor alumni list and isn't known for any significant contributions to the world relative to the universities it's often compared to.
Original post by BioGeek
Absolutely. GL in your degree.

Cheers. :smile:

Don't worry. Vividly clear and Magic Streets will be here shortly.
I feel like people only go to Warwick for banking - It's also got a pretty piss poor alumni list and isn't known for any significant contributions to the world relative to the universities it's often compared to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLikP6BDH5w

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Warwick_people
Original post by BioGeek
I think its more of a question in what you do your degree in. If you do a STEM degree (regardless of the University) you attend, your options are just as good if you went to a higher University.

not quite sure about that a 2:1 from a poly tec is not going to be as strong in getting a job as 2:1 from say Imperial/ Warwick.

I want to do a maths degree Now I can't remember which university I saw it at otherwise I would post a direct link, however one university allows you to go straight into the second year for maths if you have AAA at A level. note not needing further maths and not any A*s. so what are they teaching in the first year? basically just re doing A level maths I would have to guess. You come out with that maths degree and you will likely have covered a lot less then a degree from Cambridge/Imperial/Warwick etc.

different universities cover different degree programs and some cover a lot more material then others. My first degree was in Accounting and Finance at a weak university, I know of several students that learned the material from scratch for an exam the night before. I am not talking about revision I am talking about having not attended lectures learning the whole module from lecture slides the night before. They still got 2:1. We all came out with 2:1 and few of us got decent jobs. except the Bimbo girl who got a 3rd she got a really high end job in a chartered accountancy firm. She was a really friendly absolutely stunning girl but she wasn't the brightest spark in the box. You can take your guess as to why she got that job lol. However I digress, the point I was making was that for those of us who the employer does not desire to **** a degree from a weak institution does us a lot less favors then from a proper institution. I doubt people could get away with that stuff with an Economics degree from LSE. This is why employers respect the later more.

This will apply to stem subjects as well, I mean it should say something that (remember for maths) Cambridge/Imperial/Warwick would flat out reject me, for getting A level grades that would allow me to go straight into the second year at another institution.

don't even try to tell me that this other institution's maths degree is just as valuable as a degree from Warwick it is not.

Now don't get me wrong I don't want to misrepresent things too much I am sure if you get a strong maths degree from say a non Russel group red brick say Reading or maybe even okay uni which is not Russel group or Red brick say Kent you should probably still be okay it won't be as in depth as Imperial or Cambridge however it should still be a reasonable quality degree.

However a maths degree from Anglia Ruskin (i think they discontinued it now) or Manchester met is not going to leave you in a competitive position to get a job in one of the big Accounting firms or one of the big banks in the city. Possibly the outside chance that they confuse Manchester met with Manchester. However if you want to play that game just go to Oxford Brooks and apply for a job in China hoping they confuse it with somewhere else.

Damm i wish i could remember what uni it was that allowed you to go into second year with AAA.
Reply 31
Original post by BioGeek
I think its more of a question in what you do your degree in. If you do a STEM degree (regardless of the University) you attend, your options are just as good if you went to a higher University.

Exactly!!

I went to a pretty **** university for a STEM degree. After reading all those university threads on TSR and threads about how crap my course was I had a phase where I was convinced I wouldn't be able to get a job. Anyway towards the end I was offered a job in my field and started working two weeks after finishing university. I've spoken to some people here, IRL and read threads about how they completed the same course at much better universities, but couldn't find jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
According to the Complete University Guide rankings, my undergraduate uni is currently 23rd in the UK. My MSc uni is 80th.

I had offers from both of the above for MSc - one for Forensic Psychology at my undergrad uni, one for Sport & Exercise Psychology at the university currently ranked 80th. I chose the latter because I went with my heart, with the subject I felt excited about doing. And it was by far a better university for me than the former.

Hard to compare undergraduate course vs MSc course, but my undergrad uni was so much bigger (200ish on the course). My MSc there were 7 of us. My MSc lecturers actually got to know us. They knew our names, they happily arranged meetings with us, they looked at draft essays for us, they advised us. My MSc supervisor spent 2 hours talking to me when I was having a hard day, sat in his office and actually helped me to practice making eye contact, convinced me to take time out of uni when I was unwell. They sorted out mitigating circumstances for me when I was admitted to hospital, and kept in touch while I was inpatient (for 5 months) so that I was reassured about going back.

We had some of the most fun MSc sessions I can explain. One where we lay on the floor and practised relaxation, one where we used a practice crossbow archery task, sessions where we brought cake in every Friday.

So my MSc uni may not be up there with the best in the country. But it was life-changing for me. And I'm currently in my first graduate job as a researcher in the UK's largest government department, so it's done me well. :smile:
I went to a "not so great university" but it was ranked (at the time at least) #1 for the course I was doing. There were only a few unis offering the course I was doing at the time. (Forensic Computing) One of which (Sunderland) was a little too far to go.
I don't get why Warwick is slated so much. It's a pretty good uni..
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Did you ever feel bad or think you made the wrong choice of university when you joined TSR?

obviously this site has a skewed view and there is a lot of elitist views heres, Warwick is seen as a rubbish uni here and although it is pretty bad it's not THAT bad.

I wonder how newbies to the site feel when they see people sh*t on any university that isn't top 10/15.

I joined TSR, before I even went to uni. Im now in a not so great uni but, im doing what a love so that just overpowers everything.

You will forget about the great universities once u settle in your new school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I feel very sorry for anyone using TSR who goes to a metropolitan university

Original post by BabyLadDarren
lol nah bro

I went to a top 20 for my undergraduate degree and a low-ranked ex-poly for my post-grad, which has high post-graduation employment rates for my particular degree (I wouldn't have gone there for an English degree, for example). The degree is also one of the most competitive to get onto in the country and offered at only around 20 unis whereas my undergrad was offered pretty much everywhere. It depends on your degree, for example, Nursing at a 'metropolitan' is better than History at the the same uni and it's actually better than Basking Weaving or whatever at a Russell Group (or....History!!!).

I've been to both. In most cases, it's about the course, not the uni (those outside of that category are Oxbridge material). There are some very competitive and employable degrees at ex-polys and I have friends from my top 20 alumnus who are still working in retail or backpacking/doing TEFL (way after graduation) without a solid well paying career because their degree doesn't translate into the real world.

Degree choice, degree choice, degree choice!!!

Believe me. But 99% of you won't listen and you'll go and do ANYTHING if it means you get to study at a top 20/Russell Group. The unis are rolling in your cash and you get nice chip on your shoulder to the tune of about £40K - but good luck finding a well paid job you enjoy, is all I can say.

Laugh all you like at the ones at ex-polys, but if they're doing vocational degrees or STEM, they're in a better position than someone reading for a humanities degree at a mid-league RG.

But you won't listen. That's alright though, someone need to serve me lattes on my commute.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter
wtf i will never understand people's hatred of warwick on this website.. it literally is equivalent to saying UCL, bristol or durham are "pretty bad"

Basically about one or maybe two trolls said it. Now that is taken to be the 'TSR view'.

The fact that there is no TSR view as such is no obstacle to assuming that there is one.

It's a 1960s university, so it's not going to have some long list of famous 19th century scientists! It does have quite a few well known more recent people.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/future/notablealumni/

Although if it was me, I wouldn't have put Camilla Batmanghelidjh at the top of the page. :rolleyes:
Original post by AllegedLegends
I went to a top 20 for my undergraduate degree and a low-ranked ex-poly for my post-grad, which has high post-graduation employment rates for my particular degree (I wouldn't have gone there for an English degree, for example). The degree is also one of the most competitive to get onto in the country and offered at only around 20 unis whereas my undergrad was offered pretty much everywhere. It depends on your degree, for example, Nursing at a 'metropolitan' is better than History at the the same uni and it's actually better than Basking Weaving or whatever at a Russell Group (or....History!!!).

I've been to both. In most cases, it's about the course, not the uni (those outside of that category are Oxbridge material). There are some very competitive and employable degrees at ex-polys and I have friends from my top 20 alumnus who are still working in retail or backpacking/doing TEFL (way after graduation) without a solid well paying career because their degree doesn't translate into the real world.

Degree choice, degree choice, degree choice!!!

Believe me. But 99% of you won't listen and you'll go and do ANYTHING if it means you get to study at a top 20/Russell Group. The unis are rolling in your cash and you get nice chip on your shoulder to the tune of about £40K - but good luck finding a well paid job you enjoy, is all I can say.

Laugh all you like at the ones at ex-polys, but if they're doing vocational degrees or STEM, they're in a better position than someone reading for a humanities degree at a mid-league RG.

But you won't listen. That's alright though, someone need to serve me lattes on my commute.

Well Yeah If I do american studies or Gender studies or smthing like that you probably have a point. I mean some subjects are more important then others. I am pretty sure a strong degree in a stem subject Maths for example from a polytechnic would do more favors then a similar degree grade in say Gender studies or etc from a Russel group uni.

There are a number of factors that affect your chances in the job market.

However a quality degree from a top tier university is going to get you further then the same degree from a low grade poly technic.

I am sure people could probably point me to some unemployed dude who got 1st class honors from Maths at Cambridge and then point me to some guy who got a great job and is now a millionaire who went to Anglia Ruskin.

there will be exceptions to the rules of course and there will also be other factors. However statistically speaking people from higher tier Russel group universities earn more and have a higher % employment figures then those from weak poly technics.

I used to be a very active poker player made quite a bit from the game not huge sums but tidy profit over the years. I have had these conversations before getting all in with QQ+ AK+ usually makes sense you have a high chance of success etc. getting in with 74 suited is usually a bad play. However you will hear constantly from people that AK and QQ+ lose some of the time and hey they won that pot with 74.

It is a game of probabilities, in life, in decisions such as university choices and in poker. Few choices guarantee success or failure. However a lot of choices make things much more probable.

and you are much more likely to get a decent job with a degree from a top tier university then you are with a degree from a weaker university.

Quick Reply

Latest