Did you hear about the Marc Jacobs Controversy?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    Absurd. We don't accuse black people of cultural appropriation every time they use their phone, the internet or fly on a plane.

It seems US liberals constantly need something to be outraged by.
    Lol, what a stupid comparison. Clothing is personal to a culture. A mobile phone, an airplane and the internet have nothing to do with culture. People don't get persecuted because they use a phone, people do however get looked down on by the white, dominant race which steals from cultures because suddenly they're fashionable and the cool thing to wear, e.g. wearing dreads or a bindi to a festival.

I bet people who appropriate my culture don't even understand the significance of the bindi, yet wear it for a certain look and still remain ignorant.

Wow.

PS: I suggest you read Edward Said's 'Orientalism'

ReputationRep:
    What if the models identify as black though? Didn't think of that did they, the racists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    What if the models identify as black though? Didn't think of that did they, the racists.
    Idk if it's true but I heard there were only 2 black models.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    Idk if it's true but I heard there were only 2 black models.
    But the others could identify as black.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think any of them do or have spoken out about identifying as black.
    Most of the models in response to the controversy would probably just state 'it wasn't my fault, I was told to wear it' or just remain silent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRoranth)
    I don't think any of them do or have spoken out about identifying as black.
    Most of the models in response to the controversy would probably just state 'it wasn't my fault, I was told to wear it' or just remain silent.
    I would not expect them to, I am simply being facetious.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe . I know Gigi, Bella,Kendall, Hailey, Karlie, Adriana & Taylor don't.

ReputationRep:
    People really just love to complain and feel oppressed.. some weird victim-complex.

If anyone is actually offended because a few woman walked down a catwalk with colourful dreadlocks on their head, then they are completely out of their mind, and must not have a single clue as to what an actual issue is.

I think we all need to grow up and stop finding a problem with everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Moved to fashion and beauty.
    Why? This is clearly a discussion about "cultural appropriation", not the Spring/Summer 2017 collection.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, what a stupid comparison. Clothing is personal to a culture. A mobile phone, an airplane and the internet have nothing to do with culture. People don't get persecuted because they use a phone, people do however get looked down on by the white, dominant race which steals from cultures because suddenly they're fashionable and the cool thing to wear, e.g. wearing dreads or a bindi to a festival.

I bet people who appropriate my culture don't even understand the significance of the bindi, yet wear it for a certain look and still remain ignorant.

Wow.

PS: I suggest you read Edward Said's 'Orientalism'
    They were each invented by white males who contributed significantly to Western culture. They are far more noteworthy than a hairstyle or a fashion trend. 'Whites steal from cultures' lmao

Dreads are disgusting and bindis are primarily religious so I don't see the point in following either trend. How far do you want to take it? Stop minorities from eating fish and chips as it appropriates British culture? Or wearing suits?

I wish this entire cultural appropriation meme would die

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    They were each invented by white males who contributed significantly to Western culture. They are far more noteworthy than a hairstyle or a fashion trend. 'Whites steal from cultures' lmao

Dreads are disgusting and bindis are primarily religious so I don't see the point in following either trend. How far do you want to take it? Stop minorities from eating fish and chips as it appropriates British culture? Or wearing suits?

I wish this entire cultural appropriation meme would die
    I don't think you understand.

People don't get persecuted by for using the internet, mobile phones or aeroplanes.

How clear can I get?

PS, dreads and bindi's are not 'trends'

Educate yourself please, you sound like a laughing stock.

ReputationRep:

People don't get persecuted by for using the internet, mobile phones or aeroplanes.

How clear can I get?

The part in bold is the exact point that he is making, that going by your logic black people should be scrutinised for using the internet/mobile phones/aeroplanes as they were invented by white people and are a part of Western culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catholicgirl)
    So much straw I could feed the world's cattle for a million years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Why? This is clearly a discussion about "cultural appropriation", not the Spring/Summer 2017 collection.
    Mods r dumb tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

How clear can I get?

(Original post by W. A. Mozart)
    The part in bold is the exact point that he is making, that going by your logic black people should be scrutinised for using the internet/mobile phones/aeroplanes as they were invented by white people and are a part of Western culture.
    Mozart's right. Did that go over your head?

Dreads and bindis are certainly trends for those who have adopted them.

You should change your perspective before you make yourself sound dense again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Moving it to an unpopular forum so it doesn't offend anyone

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.