No energy- health question!

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    it's not strange that over time this gets harder and harder on your body... you've used up every reserve you have and now anytime things get a bit tougher on your body it has nowhere to go...

as I said, the fact it's so hard for you to eat any more or anything different in indicative of disordered eating and that is something you really need to work on changing

also stop calling this 'obsessed with a healthy living lifestyle' - it is not healthy to have disordered eating and it is not healthy to undereat
    Yes I know, but it isn't that easy to break this loop! I'm happy with how I eat&excerise but I'm gonna start having a banana or something for snacks

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't you be seeing a doctor about this? You're not even an adult yet and you're tinkering around with your body's normal functioning by dieting and going to the gym, did you go to a professional before deciding on a sub 2k diet +gym?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatsSoAmy)
    Yes I know, but it isn't that easy to break this loop! I'm happy with how I eat&excerise but I'm gonna start having a banana or something for snacks
    having been diagnosed with anorexia I fully appreciate how difficult it is to try and change any disordered eating habits - you follow these rules for a reason and a large part of it is that a starving brain is less flexible and able to adapt to change so attempting to change such an ingrained habit is really hard

you really shouldn't be happy with how you eat and exercise... a 3 hour gym session is extreme for a non-serious athlete (you'd be far better doing 1-1.5 hours 4-5 days a week) and 1500 calories simply isn't enough... you need to be eating at least 2000 and you need to be less strict over what they are - it will do you no harm to eat a chocolate bar

honestly, I do understand it's hard but I also understand that living life through calorie counting and restriction is just no fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    what is your height and weight, if you don't mind me asking? are you sure you're not underweight?
    Hey, no I don't mind! I'm 5'7/5'8 and 10 stone 8

ReputationRep:
    having been diagnosed with anorexia I fully appreciate how difficult it is to try and change any disordered eating habits - you follow these rules for a reason and a large part of it is that a starving brain is less flexible and able to adapt to change so attempting to change such an ingrained habit is really hard

you really shouldn't be happy with how you eat and exercise... a 3 hour gym session is extreme for a non-serious athlete (you'd be far better doing 1-1.5 hours 4-5 days a week) and 1500 calories simply isn't enough... you need to be eating at least 2000 and you need to be less strict over what they are - it will do you no harm to eat a chocolate bar

honestly, I do understand it's hard but I also understand that living life through calorie counting and restriction is just no fun
    Hey, I really don't think I have an eating disorder as I'm not terribly skinny and in my eyes I'd probably say curvy; I'm 10stone 8, 5"7/5"8 height. You say 3 hours are extream, but I have a set workout timetable in my head which I have to do and it takes that long and I can tell just give that up! Chocolate bars are out of the question- one of my biggest fears is to pile on the pounds!! I know one chocolate bar wouldnt make me large but it would just mess with my head and make me upset! I'm still grateful of your comment though, thank you.

You have a poor relation with and understanding of food. You may be tired for a number of reasons, but most likely its not eating enough in general.

It also sounds like you are not fueling your workouts or you are suffering from electrolyte or iron deficiency or just overtraining.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I really don't think I have an eating disorder as I'm not terribly skinny and in my eyes I'd probably say curvy; I'm 10stone 8, 5"7/5"8 height. You say 3 hours are extream, but I have a set workout timetable in my head which I have to do and it takes that long and I can tell just give that up! Chocolate bars are out of the question- one of my biggest fears is to pile on the pounds!! I know one chocolate bar wouldnt make me large but it would just mess with my head and make me upset! I'm still grateful of your comment though, thank you.
    OK well you sound pretty disordered to me and you are point blank refusing to listen to any advice - and just responding with 'no but my rules say I can't'

this is really no way to live life

ReputationRep:
    OK well you sound pretty disordered to me and you are point blank refusing to listen to any advice - and just responding with 'no but my rules say I can't'

this is really no way to live life
    Ok sorry? I didn't post this question to create tension? I am listening to what you say, but it's not that easy! 2 years of my body in this constant rountie and a sudden idea of change isn't gonna do anything. I'm very thank ful for your efforts&care, but i am happy with the way I live my life, I admit sometimes it becomes a little annoying when im with friends and they all want us to eat at McDonald's but apart from that I'm happy! I love the healthy food I eat and the way my back legs and arms are basically hard muscle- it gives me confidence! I was just wanting to know, why I have no energy, and my question has been answered because my lack of fat and caliores- but I guess I will just stick to no energy because I'm not eating more or whatever ( SORRY )! But I am grateful of your support, I really am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterJack)
    Shouldn't you be seeing a doctor about this? You're not even an adult yet and you're tinkering around with your body's normal functioning by dieting and going to the gym, did you go to a professional before deciding on a sub 2k diet +gym?
    Hey, ok so yes I went to hospital as I was diagnosed with epilepsy around the age of 11/12, at this point I was a very large child about 14 stone!! I always got told to loose weight when going to my meetings. When I was cured from eplepisly as it was a mild form, I began going to the gym&1500 Cals. I rapidly lost 4 stone, and my periods stopped. I obviously went to the doctor and they said it's because of my weight loss, they will come back in a few months. They came back. 2 years on, I am still the same weight ( a little less I think a few pounds ) - I joined a more advance gym the start of the year and stepped up my hard at gym game, resulting in 40 mins of running, 15 mins of the stepping up stairs machine, about 30/40 mins on weights, 20/30 mins on sit ups and crunches and etc and the time left is just redoing weights and sit ups. Since this time, I again lost my period and recently been to the doctor and hospital and they told me it was from stress from my recent exams and also from the gym&how less I eat. They said, they will comeback. Ive had one or two since the time in about 6 months. I know I should lower my gym rountie and whatever but I CANT! I don't want to sound like a idiot, but I get emotional so much if I don't go to the gym or eat too much! I spend hours looking in the mirror thinking I've put on weight! I can't stop doing these things, which everyone on here is telling me to! Sorry!

Ok sorry? I didn't post this question to create tension? I am listening to what you say, but it's not that easy! 2 years of my body in this constant rountie and a sudden idea of change isn't gonna do anything. I'm very thank ful for your efforts&care, but i am happy with the way I live my life, I admit sometimes it becomes a little annoying when im with friends and they all want us to eat at McDonald's but apart from that I'm happy! I love the healthy food I eat and the way my back legs and arms are basically hard muscle- it gives me confidence! I was just wanting to know, why I have no energy, and my question has been answered because my lack of fat and caliores- but I guess I will just stick to no energy because I'm not eating more or whatever ( SORRY )! But I am grateful of your support, I really am.
    Except there are people down the gym who have just as good and better bodies than yours, but they arent tired out, they arent driven by rules and they are in control enough they can have treatsevery now and then.

If you are underfuleing your workouts then you dont have the right sort of food in your body at the right time.

Go and see a Dr. It may be a sign of something else. Your relationship with food and logic behind it needs rebalancing through education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Except there are people down the gym who have just as good and better bodies than yours, but they arent tired out, they arent driven by rules and they are in control enough they can have treatsevery now and then.

If you are underfuleing your workouts then you dont have the right sort of food in your body at the right time.

Go and see a Dr. It may be a sign of something else. Your relationship with food and logic behind it needs rebalancing through education.
    Ok, thank you

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to raise your Calories. 1500 is far too low for an active 16 year old male or female. You're incurring metabolic damage by keeping it so low. I advise you to try raising your Calories to the point where you're gaining around a pound per month for ~6 months (probably ~2000 kcal by the end), then slowly taper your calories down to 1800 or keep it at 2000. You will probably lose fat this way, too, as well as feel much better.

ReputationRep:
    I think you overdo your workouts a bit. You only need like an hour 5 days per week or 2 hours 3 days per week (that's just to keep things round). If you overdo it, you will have a lot less energy. It's better to do big workouts right and less frequent than do a bunch of big workouts half-arsed.

Ok, thank you
    I do understand you have found something that you think works because you have lost weight and never wnat to go back to feeling you did .

You have some of it right but you have gone overboard. You need to strike a healthy balance and you can do that by more education and understanding more about weight loss, exercise and nutrition. That might let you loosen your grip a little and appreciate what you need to do to continue to be effective an what things you do which arent helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to have a go. I've just been in your position. That means I do understand that it feels impossible to change and that change will make things worse but it also means I know that while you're set in the disordered mindset you are not aware of how **** things are... it's only when you get better you realise how bad things were. It means I know that living how you are cannot make you happier than being a stone heavier and being able to eat what you want and skip the gym if you can't be bothered. Tbh you probably won't even gain weight (or at least not much) if you loosen up a bit as you're a fairly healthy weight anyway by the sounds of it. I actually look a lot better than I did when I was doing what you're doing because by working out for less time I can work out more effectively so I'm stronger and fitter and by eating more my body has the energy it needs to perform well, push itself and build/repair muscle.

ReputationRep:
    Ok sorry? I am listening to what you say, but it's not that easy! I'm very thank ful for your efforts&care, but i am happy with the way I live my life, I admit sometimes it becomes a little annoying when im with friends and they all want us to eat at McDonald's but apart from. but I guess I will just stick to no energy because I'm not eating more or whatever ( SORRY )! But I am grateful of your support, I really am.
    Your reasoning is totally self-contradictory and your obsession with this highly intense routine is not healthy. Even the doctor said one of the reasons you might be missing your period is because of your diet- but youve ignored this. You complain of fatigue yet continuously assure us all you are perfectly happy!

In spite of the dietary additions i suggested earlier (white meat and fish: chicken/cod/lemon sole) I would strongly advise you seek professional medical assistance as judging by your responses to others advice your behaviour is abnormal, your routine is extreme and you are causing yourself harm.

Peace,
    SnazzyZ

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.