How did I mess up??? (AS Level)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jivanshh)
    I made notes from classes, revision books and online notes, memorized them until they became indented in my head, and once I finished revising, and I knew I had sufficient knowledge to do past papers, I did loads of past papers, to the point where some questions I knew what they were asking, just looking at the first few words (obviously I read carefully in the exam)

Another problem that I faced in the exams but not during revision was that I was barely finishing some papers, especially maths.

I generally have always struggled with it but I intended to make it my strength
    Instead of trying to rote memorise everything, something thats really been helping me at uni is to read notes outloud and explain them in your own words verbally and for stuff that needs memorising write look cover check!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEM AND BIO TIME!)
    Instead of trying to rote memorise everything, something thats really been helping me at uni is to read notes outloud and explain them in your own words verbally and for stuff that needs memorising write look cover check!!
    I was looking at smarter studying strategies and I think where I messed up was that even if I did alot of past papers, recently Edexcel has been changing it's exam style so there's only so much I can do with past paper knowledge, and that I should implement revision methods, such as the ones you mentioned, instead of rote memorisation, I don't think it works for me.

Thank you for the advice

ReputationRep:
    I revised ridiculous amounts and once I felt satisfied enough with my knowledge on each subject (Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry) I made sure to do atleast 40 past papers on each subject, as well as revising further. I was getting As, Bs, minimum Cs on bad days but never Ds, I was so confident by the time I was going to do my exams, I ended up with B in Biology, C in chemistry, C in Physics and a D in maths, all this I did with tutors. I'm currently doing A2 now, with repeating my AS subjects aswell, am I seriously just dumb?
    I felt like the exams in summer 2016 were very differently formatted from previous years, but still, am I just really reaaaally dumb?
    Simple answer is you arent as clever as you are in class if that makes sense. More often than not teachers may mark more leniently or you may already know the answer to the questions in past papers and mini tests since youve done it. The exam itself is obv heavily application and recall. If you had tuition and did all than then yeh you really arent "clever" in the sense of achieving As etc. No offence happened to many people where did better in class but with the shock of a real exam after.

I guarantee you after a paper was marked you would say and your teacher here is where you lost mark you will say looking back at the answer "that was a silly mistake and such an easy mark" along those lines. But in reality it will be like that but worse with the stress pressure etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM)
    Simple answer is you arent as clever as you are in class if that makes sense. More often than not teachers may mark more leniently or you may already know the answer to the questions in past papers and mini tests since youve done it. The exam itself is obv heavily application and recall. If you had tuition and did all than then yeh you really arent "clever" in the sense of achieving As etc. No offence happened to many people where did better in class but with the shock of a real exam after.

I guarantee you after a paper was marked you would say and your teacher here is where you lost mark you will say looking back at the answer "that was a silly mistake and such an easy mark" along those lines. But in reality it will be like that but worse with the stress pressure etc
    I supposed I am not clever, I realized this, which is why I put in so much effort but oh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Probably inefficient revision? Are you doing dumb things while revising like listening to music?
    My son achieved at AS: A A A A. He took an A2 a year early. Predicted A* A* A* A and he always studies with muic; he is bilingual and it is a know fact they can easily revise with music.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I revised ridiculous amounts and once I felt satisfied enough with my knowledge on each subject (Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry) I made sure to do atleast 40 past papers on each subject, as well as revising further. I was getting As, Bs, minimum Cs on bad days but never Ds, I was so confident by the time I was going to do my exams, I ended up with B in Biology, C in chemistry, C in Physics and a D in maths, all this I did with tutors. I'm currently doing A2 now, with repeating my AS subjects aswell, am I seriously just dumb?
    I felt like the exams in summer 2016 were very differently formatted from previous years, but still, am I just really reaaaally dumb?
    Dont worry, the new spec threw a lot of people of during exam season. Im resitting 3 modules, 2 chem and 1 bio (WJEC).

Im sure you will do well this year, you know how it works now.

ReputationRep:
    I supposed I am not clever, I realized this, which is why I put in so much effort but oh well
    You sound really motivated and thoughtful about your work - I'm sure all your effort will pay off in the end.

I think it would be helpful to get a copy of your papers back so your teachers can go through them with you. Then you can see exactly where you gained and lost marks.

Good luck!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.