Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tajel)
    I think that having a laptop was pretty close to essential for my time at college.

The ability to work anywhere - the library, dining hall, dorms, classrooms and so on - was invaluable, especially when I didn't feel like going to a school computer lab.

And the thing is, you don't have to spend all that much on one. MS Word, an e-mail app and a browser will account for the vast majority of your computer time. A laptop that runs these efficiently can be had for a small outlay. Ebay is your friend! I got one (that did me for all but my last semester) for $400 - about 220 ukp give or take.
    What sort of spec is best. HD size, memory etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uncle)
    What sort of spec is best. HD size, memory etc?
    Mine had a 4GB HD and 320 MB of RAM.

Now, those are kinda laughable specs by today's standards, but I chose it because it was cheap. As someone who had worked for a decade, I was in the fortunate position of being able to afford any computer I wanted, but since college computing demands are so light, why spend a fortune? I upgraded to a 20 GB HD cheaply, but never came close to filling it.

I would say, if you intend to run XP then a 10GB HD and 512 RAM system would work, but W2K would do just as well and would probably have lower requirements. Mine was a Mac, but the power/price argument is just the same.

ReputationRep:
    which would u recommend.... a windows based pc.. or a mac ...?(for uni)

ReputationRep:
    Windows based because most/all uni's have a windows OS anyway. Get a laptop with 40GB and above.

ReputationRep:
    thanx..will try to get that.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I don't know whether I'm crap or talented but I got all the blame for killing the computer last summer. Apparantly I made the operating system dissapear but to this day I still don't know how, nor do the terrible technicians :rolleyes:
    Whoa! I did something very similar to that. I loved my old compy, we had so many great times. It was like Rob and the computer with no virus scanner, lol. By the end of it all, when we finally ran an autopsy type scan, I had; I think it was 1562 separate viral entities in my computer. When it died, it was so sad

On topic, I now have a laptop, and think it is a great idea for a university student! The main reason I bought it was for university work, but I used it as a desktop when I need to, because it is so powerful compared to my old desktop computer. I think a laptop is a necessity for the uni-recluses out there
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by trev1122)
    Windows based because most/all uni's have a windows OS anyway. Get a laptop with 40GB and above.
    and make sure you have a pen drive - PC World are doing a 128Mb one for about 25quid - its an absolute godsend and much safer than zillions of floppies all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    Ebuyer.com have some decent laptops for around the £500 mark. Not completely unbranded either, Acer and HP are generally OK.

You're talking Celeron 2.6ghz, 256MB RAM, 60GB hard disk and windows XP. Absolutely perfect for watching DVDs, doing a bit of work and possibly even playing some games (not really your latest FPS games, but champ man etc. Also consider that when buying second hand, you're generally up a proverbial creek without a paddle if something goes wrong. At least you'll get the manafacturer's warranty and your usual statutory rights when buying new from a retailer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=62002
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=64522
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=64027

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the sites. I looked on e bay for laptops though. Not sure should I buy a reaonsable priced brand new laptop or laptops from e bay sorts of places.

ReputationRep:
    i brought my laptop from ebay - NEVER had a problem with it. but it from a reputable person and agree with them to return it if theres problem, thats what my dad did. thou as i said, have not had to contact the person we got it from, as have had NO problems!! alternatively my brother bought a new computer from Novatech for about 700 and had LOADS of problems and gave up and bought a normal computer from somewhere else. the moral of the story = cant remember, ive forgottne what i was talking about... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greendaygirl)
    Do u think a laptop is worth the money and is helpful or can i live without one?
    Well i e-mailed the teesside comp dept and they told me:

David

Thank you for your email - we look forward to welcoming you next September.

Nearly all members of staff use either the intranet or the virtual learning environment (we use Blackboard at Teesside) so a significant volume of material is on-line.

The choice of whether to buy a laptop really depends on how you like to work - some people like to take notes and then write them up as this can reinforce the material. A few students take lap tops into classes but it is very much the minority. Personally I prefer taking notes rather than using a laptop but that is the way I've always worked - I find I can concentrate on what is being said and make annotations and drawings quicker and easier.

Please do get back to me if you have any other queries.

----

I've decided not to take a laptop seeing as im brining my desktop

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.What degree are you going to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greendaygirl)
    Thanks for the advice.What degree are you going to do?
    Computer Science

ReputationRep:
    from what ive seen and heard (friends at uni etc) most computing departments actually have a great deal of computers which run on linux (as for computer programming etc many consider it to be greatly better), but that they also have a large quantity of windows based and even mac computers installed.

As for the networks..it doesnt really matter what laptop u have, as they are normally compatible withthem all..

(i personally i prefer mac laptops.. i didnt fancy them before because they dont run pc programs etc..bt a friend of mine got windows xp on his laptop through Virtual PC..)

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.