Is it worth doing 5 A levels for LSE/Cambridge?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aklaol)
    Actually there is. Check each subject's Entry Requirements section. Each subject states that you will need to complete some sort of exam before or during your interview.
    There isn't one for Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    There isn't one for Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faheemcg9)
    I tried asking a bank at town today but they said they're not accepting at the moment

Seems like the only way to get work experience at a bank is if your parents know anyone who works there
    Aww maybe look at an accounting firm or something?? Maybe look up online work experience relating to Econ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aklaol)
    Yeah? "Some Colleges". Anyway, all pedantry.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Cambridge known as a uni that almost completely disregards GCSEs but require extremely high ums at AS for an offer??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

"With that said though, some universities like Cambridge want like 600 UCAS tariff points or whatever THOUGH THE SYSTEM AND TARIFFS HAVE NOW CHANGED so if you get the chance to do an EPQ, do it, as that will give you extra points. "

Source for this?

"One last word of warning. It doesn't matter if you got 6A*s when you're up against candidates who have done work experience and many other stuff. Even just listing them in your personal statement is not enough. You gotta elaborate and stuff. Don't just think you can handle it, you have to prove you handled the pressure in the past, for example with straight As whilst volunteering and working at the same time. "

This is also untrue. irrelevant work experience or volunteering counts for jack in a Cambridge application unless it's either directly relevant to your course or you're applying for medicine.
    Thanks for your comments. Yes, I guess I was ambiguous when I said work experience and stuff was very helpful, because it is very true that they must be relevant to your course otherwise they're no good.

And about that tariff system, I may be wrong about that. Maybe I'm ignorant about the 600 ucas points needed for cam bridge (Although I'm sure cambridge did in the past....maybe I'm wrong.) But as far as I'm aware they can come into play. Hardly any universities are using the tariff system and a lot are moving to graded systems. Source? https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides...es/tariff-2017

However it is worth noting that some universities, on a conditional offer may say something like you need 200 ucas points (source:
    My offer is given with UCAS pointsSome universities will give out offers using the UCAS Tariff. Again, this means that you need to achieve this or higher in the exams stated on your UCAS form. Usually, conditional offer with points will state how many A Levels the points need to come from. If this is not the case with your offer, you can include points from anywhere. You may have additional points from things such as Key Skills or music qualifications. For the offer shown, the points need to come from a minimum of 2 A Levels, which is equivalent to BB, and one must be a science subject.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...itional-offers
    )
    so it might be important to keep that in mind, even though on a lot of university websites they don't directly say they need points for A-levels. This is a good site giving details about the tariff system.
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...t-ucas-points/

1 medical school i found here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths
    is still using it it seems.

Overall,
    The new system has little impact on students and should not change your preparation for higher education.

ReputationRep:
    No. They look at your application in a holistic context. Why would they think "hmmm, this kid has an extra A in textile design - oh man, that's so good!!! let's give him an offer for maths!!!"?

The only reason there is to take 5 A-Levels is because you're genuinely interested in all five (and even then, it's pushing it) and not for silly reasons like trying to be more competitive.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    If you are applying with a course that has an entrance exam, and they haven't made any formal Gcse requirements don't listen to the comments here saying your gcses will kill you.

Do well In as and alevel, and do very good in the entrance exam and I guarantee you'll probably reach the interview stage.

This holds true for Oxford physics/engineering cours, sure it applies to Cambridge too

Also don't take 5 alevels please a lot of people make this decision and it turns out very bad. Take 4 and I fact I would reccomend taking three for a2 and really focusing and reading around your subject like Oxbridge say they prefer someone who read deeply about his subject rather then some guy who takes a 4th alevel.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    So yeah, I personally think 4 A-levels is more than enough cause minimum is three. It's not just how many subjects you do, but how well you you perform as well.
    Given that A-levels are vastly more difficult that GCSE's, recovering you slump in GCSE results should be met with quality (the results you get) rather than the quantity (how many subjects you do).
    All the best!

ReputationRep:
    Source?
    If you look at Which?University and type in a course and search for it, you may find ucas points like 160 which is for Cambridge.

Source? http://university.which.co.uk/search...D=Biochemistry

If you look at the new UCAS tariff system...

160 = A*A*A which is what cambridge says is a typical offer on their website - (they also consider AAA btw)

If you look at the old tariff system...those grades would equate to 400. I think i'm wrong about the 600 figure, but I know I wasn't too far off the realms of reality in terms of what they were expecting, and still are expecting...

ReputationRep:
    That's insane, I only did three (with EPQ) and I got in. They explicitly say it doesn't bring you an advantage and it's true; that's just an extra workload that'll stress you out and possibly lower the amount of focus you can put on each subject. You might think that it won't be that bad but... A Levels can be hellish at times.

Doing an extra A Level or two won't prove anything to the Admissions Tutors about your ability to be a student at the university, although they might think you're a bit mad. They want to see your academic capability and suitability for the subject you're applying for so doing extra won't really help your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faheemcg9)
    Rude. I may be at a disadvantage but just because you didn't make it doesn't mean I dont have a chance
    Dw you're not even at a disadvantage.
    In my school around 10 people applied for Cambridge with at least 3 As in AS and millions of A*'s. Only 1 person got in, despite the fact they had the weakest GCSE'S. I think your GCSE's are even stronger.

Don't let him discourage you, I think you'd have an excellent chance if you have 4 a levels at A2 if u can handle it, 5 is just too much in terms of work load.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewickedllama)
    That's insane, I only did three (with EPQ) and I got in. They explicitly say it doesn't bring you an advantage and it's true; that's just an extra workload that'll stress you out and possibly lower the amount of focus you can put on each subject. You might think that it won't be that bad but... A Levels can be hellish at times.

Doing an extra A Level or two won't prove anything to the Admissions Tutors about your ability to be a student at the university, although they might think you're a bit mad. They want to see your academic capability and suitability for the subject you're applying for so doing extra won't really help your application.
    Into Cambridge/LSE? What are you studying there?

ReputationRep:
    lol my school always encouraged the really smart kids to do 4 A Levels if they wanted to apply to Oxbridge but I guess it doesn't even bring any advantages over other applicants...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Zacken;67660656]False. You only need 3 if you're doing Further Maths as well, for most subjects. Definitely for Economics as well, which is what OP is applying for.

Well this is bs. To go on to an economics degree you need FM as a 4th subject as you need 2 analytical subjects e.g. economics, chemistry. With the emphasis on definitely it makes you sound so ridiculous as even on uni websites it says FM should be taken as a 4th subject. Research prior to advising with your scarce knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vl7d)
    Well this is bs. To go on to an economics degree you need FM as a 4th subject as you need 2 analytical subjects e.g. economics, chemistry. With the emphasis on definitely it makes you sound so ridiculous as even on uni websites it says FM should be taken as a 4th subject. Research prior to advising with your scarce knowledge.
    Thanks for confirming that you have no clue what you're on about.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got into Cambridge and took 5 A levels but they only looked at 3 of them for her offer. Her offer was A*A*A. There isn't really a need to take 5 a levels in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    All the GCSE kiddies in this thread with no idea what they're talking about...

Name:  Get ur facts straight m8.png
Views: 21
Size:  3.5 KB

^ Peterhouse, Cambridge

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.