Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite historical place to visit? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    I really want to go to Hever Castle..... the home of Anne Boleyn. I also need to visit Hampton Court Palace.

I am major Tudor geek and I've still never been to HCP! I went to Hever when I was little but don't really remember it
    *begs you to plan a mod trip to both places*
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    *begs you to plan a mod trip to both places*
    That would be amazing
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    That would be amazing
    And only you, thehistorybore and me would enjoy it truly :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if it would be my favourite historical place to visit but I'll add it anyway...

Mohenjo Daro
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475765557.529293.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  149.4 KB

It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in the Sindh province of Pakistan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FantasticMsFox)
    I'm not sure if it would be my favourite historical place to visit but I'll add it anyway...

Mohenjo Daro

Wonderful, innit? And to think they were so advanced then. Hell, their planning would be the envy of any modern South Asian city. I do wish the Pakistanis mantained it better, though. I believe they hold political rallies and stuff there.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Mohenjo Daro

Nice place, indeed. Like ancient cities, it is always full of nostalgia what make them so attractive. Am I right?*

ReputationRep:
    Amazing places I've visited: Bath's Prior Park:

Lydford Gorge, Wales - hundreds of meters of roiling water cascading down beautiful rockfaces in a sheer gully. You walk along a walkway drilled into the rock and can feel the raw power of the water.

Kitzsteinhorn in winter

Places I want to visit: The North Face of the Eiger. Surely one of the most terrifying and simultaneously awe inspiring of all mountains. The haunting stores, the fatalities, the achievements, the tragedies.

Neuschwanstein, Germany's fairytale castle.

Aztec temple

ReputationRep:
    Anfield
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show

Do the Dab
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President Snow)
    x
    Oh yeah, would love to see Neuschwanstein too, even if it is just the outer view of it. Atzec temple is also a nice idea, but what about Macchu Picchu in Peru? that would be awesome. *

ReputationRep:
    Monza! There's something spectacular about any racetrack! Especially one that's been around for nearly 100 years! (94 years to be precise! )

Daytona Speedway too, 60+ years old and still going strong!

Indianapolis Motor Speedway! So much history involved with this track! So so much! It's on my bucket list for sure!

As you can probably guess, I love Motorsport!
    And I love learning about the history of it (well everything about it really )

So anything to do with cars/Motorsport that's historic, I'd love to visit!
    But esp the 3 I mentioned!

Visited: Silverstone. I've been here a few times now and it's just incredible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alhacen)
    Wonderful, innit? And to think they were so advanced then. Hell, their planning would be the envy of any modern South Asian city. I do wish the Pakistanis mantained it better, though. I believe they hold political rallies and stuff there.
    Wonderful indeed! Yes, I've heard that it was one of the most sophisticated cities in South Asia at the time.

Yes, unfortunately, I've heard that one of the senior members of a major political party attempted to hold the Sindh Festival there. What fools! It's a piece of history! You don't just attempt to hold a festival at a World Heritage Site.
    I found more information on the city here (https://www.harappa.com/slideshows/mohenjo-daro) and here (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohenjo-daro)

I remember when I was travelling by coach with a family member from one city in Pakistan to another (my family are from Pakistan). I saw a road sign for Mohenjo Daro (I think the distance was on there as well) and I asked the family member whether we could visit the site sometime later during our holiday. I had a feeling they were going to laugh at me but if I remember correctly, they just said "we'll see".

Pakistan has many historical sites! I'd say a few famous sites are associated with military history, such as the Wagah border which is the Pakistan-India border. Twice a day, everyday, the border guards of India and Pakistan raise and lower their flags (I think it's to open and close the border passageway). The show is accompanied by music, marching, flag-waiving and A LOT of cheering and shouting! (Most, if not all, Pakistanis are quite patriotic) I've been there myself and I have to say...the atmosphere is almost electrifying!
    I'd encourage people to visit the Facebook page Let's Go To Pakistan (https://m.facebook.com/LetsGoToPakistan/). It encourages tourists to visit Pakistan. Many beautiful photos of nature!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Nice place, indeed. Like ancient cities, it is always full of nostalgia what make them so attractive. Am I right?*
    I've never actually been to Mohenjo Daro but it's on my list.

My apologies, I'm not sure what you mean by "like ancient cities, it is always full of nostalgia what make them so attractive". Would you be kind enough to clarify what you meant by the above? I have learning difficulties so I might not have completely understood what you were trying to say

ReputationRep:
    Really enjoying this list. I would like to visit more historical UK sites (love my history!). I lived in the wider grounds of Kenilworth castle (Tudor and civil war buffs will recognise this name) for a few years as a child and was always taken to different sites and stately homes on day trips so it was something I grew up with.

My recommendations:
    Having only recently visited them for the first time: Brighton Pavilion is stunning inside and I loved going around Arundel castle

Angkor Wat (Cambodia "lost" city and temple complexes) is an absolute MUST-see. Completely mind blowing! Ayutthaya (ancient capital city of Thailand) was very impressive too. Would loved to see both of them in their glory.

Rome was amazing too - the forum, the Colosseum, the Circus Maximus etc etc

What's on my list:
    Would love to visit Pomeii and Herculaneum and would like to go back to Egypt to visit the temple complexes as I was too young to appreciate them when I went. So many places to visit!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually been to Mohenjo Daro but it's on my list.

My apologies, I'm not sure what you mean by "like ancient cities, it is always full of nostalgia what make them so attractive". Would you be kind enough to clarify what you meant by the above? I have learning difficulties so I might not have completely understood what you were trying to say
    I meant that locatons like those awake nostalgia. And nostalgia is almost the main reason to travel to ancient cities - and maybe to find something out about them.*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

TSR History Week :woo:

Does anyone here have any foreign (i.e not in the UK) historical places they would like to visit?

I want to go to Rome some day to visit the catacombs under the city, and also to the Vatican to look at the gorgeous churches. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to visit some of the Crusader castles in the Middle East someday if the place ever calms down.

The Hagia Sophia in Istanbul as well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I'd like to visit some of the Crusader castles in the Middle East someday if the place ever calms down.

The Hagia Sophia in Istanbul as well.
    I'd like to go to Damascus and Jerusalem. Bit hard to go there right now :sad:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)

TSR History Week :woo:

Does anyone here have any foreign (i.e not in the UK) historical places they would like to visit? (...)

At the moment, I would love to go to Italy and Greece to visit ancient places and monuments, Pompeji in Naples for instance.

ReputationRep:
    Really enjoyed Edinburgh castle and Stirling.
    I also like Alnwick castle in Northumberland.

I much prefer medieval to modern but I liked the Lincoln memorial in Washington when I went!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I quite enjoyed (please pardon my spelling!) Kilmaineham gaol in Dublin. Dublin Castle is quite nice as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.