Vote Leave won a landslide vicotry

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    As a Brexitter I feel really good about the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    He means by area for MPs, almost all of England/Wales area's voted to leave. If Labour/Liberal Democrats don't accept results (this is probably why Corbyn accepts it) UKIP will be the new opposition.
    Not at all. A significant proportion of the electorate voted UKIP and they only got 1 MP. Similarly, taking the view that the significant majority should be accommodated in the forthcoming Brexit negotiations is also a reasonable position to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    He means by area for MPs, almost all of England/Wales area's voted to leave. If Labour/Liberal Democrats don't accept results (this is probably why Corbyn accepts it) UKIP will be the new opposition.
    Corbyn accepts the result because it's what he voted for

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Corbyn accepts the result because it's what he voted for

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's also a democrat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    He's also a democrat.
    So are all of the politicians wanting to overturn the result, allegedly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's also not smart, because all those 65/35, 70/30 leave places are the biggest lost Labour votes, the biggest potential voter base for acquiring new votes for Labour, I mean to say the leave portion of those places.

He is throwing that down the drain by the second referendum idea, meanwhile he says he has more of a deep sense of place and nationalism than Corbyn, I mean it's a joke. He will get trounced by the Tories, just as much as Corbyn. You know Kinnock, all over again...defeat the 'hard left' (which is actually way more popular privately, like the 'closet Tory' phenomenon) and take the centre---only it didn't work, and it only worked in Blair's case because of moving so far over because of excellent media management, and charisma.

Labour's thinking is flawed and they keep portraying people as stuck in the past, whilst they can't see being stuck in 97 is being stuck in the past- the paradigm has totally shifted again. It's legitimate, they'll fail to recognise it at their peril. History has somewhat cyclical trends too, along with the constant evolution. People really need a left government now. When the EU collapses, and Trump is the president, the mood will be there for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IYGB)
    As a Brexitter I feel really good about the future
    Me too. All we need now is a parliament, in a self-governing country, full of people who actually want that parliament to have self-government.

Maybe they just wanted personal advancement and status with out any real political responsibility.

When you take inot account the geograhic voting concentrations for leave and remains in a FPTP way leave won by a landslide. SO any party standing on a pro EU/another referendum/remain in EU could well get hammered.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisappleg...Xx#.lhkVNDeZm4

Hence why Owen Smith's proposal to have another referendum is not so smart.
    You do realise that referendums are always on a single issue for and against. They are never run FPTP so its all a load of baloney.

Any projection that is what would happen in a general election makes the assumption that people wouldnt vote along party lines and also they would vote based on Brexit being the single issue and more important than things like the economy or health service.

Impressively bonkers is you, OP.

ReputationRep:
    ohohohohho

Remainers would get a taste of what UKIP voters had to deal with.. having a huge % of the votes and a handful of seats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Do you mean "lol, you're in for a surprise" or "lol, your in a Kinder Surprise"?

Either way.... UKIP are sliding the the polls, their exact purpose now seems unclear, their new leader expresses admiration for the autocrat Putin the day before Russia may have deliberately targeted an aid convoy and Douglas Carswell makes a massive tit of himself by arguing basic science with scientists. Throw in that FPTP works against them and they have not developed the local strongholds needed to secure seats, it really is not looking good for them.
    I suspect Carswell will rejoin the Tories at some point in the not too distant future, assuming they will have him back, which they probably will, given the size of his majority.

The biggest single fact about British politics remains how difficult it is for new and insurgent parties to gain seats at Westminster. It's incredibly hard because at general elections, vast numbers of people still return to tribal loyalties or to a choice between the Big Two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So are all of the politicians wanting to overturn the result, allegedly

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Corbyn doesn't want to overturn the result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You do realise that referendums are always on a single issue for and against. They are never run FPTP so its all a load of baloney.
    The future elections are under FPTP and EU will be an important issue for voters. Leave voters are distributed ins such a way that these people have an overwhelming effect on who gets elected. Remain voters were concentrated in cities. Leave voters were spread about more.

The future elections are under FPTP and EU will be an important issue for voters. Leave voters are distributed ins such a way that these people have an overwhelming effect on who gets elected. Remain voters were concentrated in cities. Leave voters were spread about more.
    Again you arent getting it. In a general election people will bote for parties( which are split) and they will vote for other issues such as the economy. Your comparison is fantasy. Brexit is over and done with now.

ReputationRep:
    Deciding between Corbyn and Smith is like deciding between a rat and a virus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Again you arent getting it. In a general election people will bote for parties( which are split) and they will vote for other issues such as the economy. Your comparison is fantasy. Brexit is over and done with now.
    I do get it. We don't agree on how important the issue of Brexit is for the electorate. I think it is important. You don't.

So you think saying we will take us back into the EU is a good election strategy for labour?

I think as things stand the majority of leave voters will not vote for a party promising not to leave the EU. The leave voters have far more influence due to FPTP than the remain voters do. Therefore it is electoral suicide to stand on this election platform of remain in the EU. The lib dems can do it because they are not trying to win a majority. They can afford to just appeal to disgruntled remain voters who still want to stay in the EU.

I do get it. We don't agree on how important the issue of Brexit is for the electorate. I think it is important. You don't.

So you think saying we will take us back into the EU is a good election strategy for labour?

I think as things stand the majority of leave voters will not vote for a party promising not to leave the EU. The leave voters have far more influence due to FPTP than the remain voters do. Therefore it is electoral suicide to stand on this election platform of remain in the EU. The lib dems can do it because they are not trying to win a majority. They can afford to just appeal to disgruntled remain voters who still want to stay in the EU.
    Its not important because the issue is over and we are leaving.

Smith will lose. Eveb if he didnt it would simply divide the Labour vote so there will eb no re run of the referendum. Labour will lose the next election anyway.

Again your argyment is flawed becayse you dont factor in the fact its party politics as normal and that there are other issues people are more concerned about than Brexit because the issue is done and dusted now. Everyone bar Smith doesnt have it as an issue and frankly as a leadership candidate of a contest he will lose for a part that will also lose, then its not going to make the light of day.

Thats why all your FPTP fantasies are just fantasy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    ohohohohho

Remainers would get a taste of what UKIP voters had to deal with.. having a huge % of the votes and a handful of seats
    Except remainers don't have to have the knowledge that they support vermin on their mind like 'UKIP' oiks...

ReputationRep:
    Or, you know, maybe some politicians actually genuinely believe it's in the uks interests to stay in the EU. ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    The Remain campaign was poorly thought out from the start - the real problem being the lacklustre conviction even amongst many Remainers for the EU as an institution. So there were no really strong Labour figures putting out convincing messages. That wasn't of itself terminal, but it left the way open for Leave to cynically manipulate Lab voters with all the crap about £350m a week for the NHS, which pollsters have discovered to have been a key motivator for many voters.

The referendum was worthy of something Putin could have dreamed up - no wonder Russia Today were enthusiastic supporters of Leave.

If only the Tories could have found a proper leader and not some PR toad.
    I honestly don't know a single person who voted leave with consideration of the £350 million figure. In fact I don't know anyone who even believed it by the time the vote came. The vast vast majority in my town voted leave...........(not me by the way).

ReputationRep:
    He's also a democrat.
    Nonsense and I expected better from you. If people voted via referendum to abolish the NHS in similar circumstances he wouldn't sign up to it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.