Homework help please? Identifying spectrums

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    Yep so each proton adjacent to the ones you're considering couples and splits the peak. If there are n adjacent protons your peak is split into n+1.

This molecule isn't too bad, and remember your data sheet should tell you where abouts different protons should appear on the spectrum
    I'm taking some huge guesses here lol. Doublet was caused by CHsnot sure about the triplet and if that was a quarter at around 2 ppm then im guessing its caused by the ch3s. My diagram is so small and im farsighted so I cant see it well. Correct me please haha I appreciate your help just this one little bit 😬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rnddlcrz)
    I'm taking some huge guesses here lol. Doublet was caused by CHsnot sure about the triplet and if that was a quarter at around 2 ppm then im guessing its caused by the ch3s. My diagram is so small and im farsighted so I cant see it well. Correct me please haha I appreciate your help just this one little bit 😬
    It's a bit of a pain, they haven't given you the integrations of the peaks so you don't know how many protons each peak corresponds to.

Gimme a minute and I'll show you how i would look at the proton spectrum of the molecule!

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit of a pain, they haven't given you the integrations of the peaks so you don't know how many protons each peak corresponds to.

Gimme a minute and I'll show you how i would look at the proton spectrum of the molecule!
    Thanks very much, oh yea true. The integration would be very much helpful if it was there

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much, oh yea true. The integration would be very much helpful if it was there
    So I've just gone through one environment at a time and worked out what I would expect.

I've also done a sketch of the ideal spectrum and labelled up the peaks, make sure you understand why each peak fits with each group of protons.

Name:  WIN_20160921_21_01_46_Pro.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  195.6 KB

You'll get plenty more practise at questions like this, using spectra etc. I'm happy to more or less show you this time because you haven't done it before. In future I would really strongly recommend spending a while puzzling for yourself, now you get the idea of how to interpret NMRs! Practise really does make perfect and by doing more of this type of problem you begin to recognise things more quickly!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    So I've just gone through one environment at a time and worked out what I would expect.

I've also done a sketch of the ideal spectrum and labelled up the peaks, make sure you understand why each peak fits with each group of protons.

Name:  WIN_20160921_21_01_46_Pro.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  195.6 KB

You'll get plenty more practise at questions like this, using spectra etc. I'm happy to more or less show you this time because you haven't done it before. In future I would really strongly recommend spending a while puzzling for yourself, now you get the idea of how to interpret NMRs! Practise really does make perfect and by doing more of this type of problem you begin to recognise things more quickly!
    Thank you very much for being very helpful! 😊 I now actually understand the topic a bit clearer thanks to you and I've done my homework (Lol!).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for being very helpful! 😊 I now actually understand the topic a bit clearer thanks to you and I've done my homework (Lol!).
    Yeah, I'm not keen on dishing out answers! So I hope you have a better understanding of the topic now. There are countless NMR problems online which I'd recommend you have a search for and do a few of!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm not keen on dishing out answers! So I hope you have a better understanding of the topic now. There are countless NMR problems online which I'd recommend you have a search for and do a few of!
    If you had given me all the answers, I wouldnt have a clue how to actually get them haha but now I know 😄 I sure will over the weekends. Thanks again, appreciate your help a lot

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.