Is this lying?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    It's not really lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W. A. Mozart)
    There really is nothing wrong with that statement.

"I have been a competitive tennis player for four years" - it already implies past tense, so you're pretty much fine to phrase it in that way.
    Have implies present tense.

'I have been playing tennis for 4 years.'

If have isn't present tense, then what is?

OP should say 'I played tennis competitively over 4 years.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As PQ said, it doesn't add anything. And remember that even if you're not going to have interviews, your reference could contradict it. It's not worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    As PQ said, it doesn't add anything. And remember that even if you're not going to have interviews, your reference could contradict it. It's not worth it
    How would my reference do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    How would my reference do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well your referee may talk about your extra curricular activities, and if it doesn't mention tennis but your PS does, that may raise eyebrows (for example if it was true, your reference may say something like 'John is able to maintain his AAAB grades, despite doing tennis training 5 times a week and competing 4 times a year'). Regardless, it's not going to add anything and it's not worth the risk if you are found out (competitive results may well be published online, if they choose to look)

ReputationRep:
    If I was a tutor reading that, I would assume that you still play tennis, and if you then told me that you no longer play, I would feel that you had misled me. Technically, the sentence is correct and truthful, but you've already seen that in practicality, it seems a bit dishonest when you read it back. The person checking it might feel the same way, so I don't think you should risk it.

When you're writing your personal statement, you shouldn't be thinking 'How can I look as great as possible'. You should be thinking 'How can I convey who I am'. The reader wants to see your character, and your knowingly misleading them like that(even if it's 'technically' not lying) does not show good character.

Also, you should consider whether it's even relevant regardless, unless you can put it into some kind of context that shows that you possess some strong personal qualities. You might be able to claim that playing tennis helped you to develop your teamworking skills, but that might be pushing it a bit. Personally, unless you're doing a sports-related course, I would just leave it out entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh they dont even check, i went into engineering and i wrote that as a young child i used to take apart cars and was interested in seeing inside them...didnt even get an interview or anything....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    Tbh they dont even check, i went into engineering and i wrote that as a young child i used to take apart cars and was interested in seeing inside them...didnt even get an interview or anything....
    Different courses and different universities use PSs differently. If you're lucky then none of your choices will look at your PS in detail. Just because you were lucky doesn't mean it is good advice for other applicants to lie on their PS.

Often when a PS becomes MOST important is when A level results come through - if too many applicants have missed their offer by the same amount then usually the PS will be used to decide which near miss applicants to accept and which to reject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Have implies present tense.

'I have been playing tennis for 4 years.'

If have isn't present tense, then what is?

OP should say 'I played tennis competitively over 4 years.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe the technical term is "present perfect" and it implies you still do it.

The suggestion above is good, or you could say "I was a competitive player for 4 years", implying you are no longer.

But it's no biggie really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Different courses and different universities use PSs differently. If you're lucky then none of your choices will look at your PS in detail. Just because you were lucky doesn't mean it is good advice for other applicants to lie on their PS.

Often when a PS becomes MOST important is when A level results come through - if too many applicants have missed their offer by the same amount then usually the PS will be used to decide which near miss applicants to accept and which to reject.
    ahh ok thanks, i guess some unversities are more strict then others

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.