B1057 – European Union Bill 2016

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    aye.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, stops people trying to use 'we have left the EU' as an excuse to break the law- environmental crimes come to mind for example.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say that either half of you have not bothered to read the canon amendment (rendering this bill mute) or your entirely happy to fill our statute with bills that essentially do nothing (because of said amendment).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I have to say that either half of you have not bothered to read the canon amendment (rendering this bill mute) or your entirely happy to fill our statute with bills that essentially do nothing (because of said amendment).
    I have explained above why canon does not render this moot. The future is not as predictable as you think.

ReputationRep:
    Since we already have the canon amendement and this will happen in RL, what's the point in voting for this?
    You're saying that this will happen in real life - presumably because it's a logical and elegant solution to a potentially very problematic situation. But I have heard no guarantees or promises that this will happen. Thus, opposing this bill on the grounds that we have the Canon Amendment is the same as opposing any good bill on the presumption that it's such a good idea that the RL politicians will think of it too. Should we avoid this by dealing exclusively in bad ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Should we not repeal the Canon Amendment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Should we not repeal the Canon Amendment?
    God no. The Canon Amendment is the only reason we don't have daily riots in TSRland.

Seriously though, canon is irrelevant to this, as this is not the law in the UK and isn't guaranteed to be.

ReputationRep:
    I do get why some people are mentioning the canon argument, but it is as Ray says, since day one of the campaign let alone since we found out we had voted for brexit it has been surprise after surprise and I think this is a precaution against what could end up being something that none of us foresee correctly

ReputationRep:
    No, TSR's exit from the European Union should mirror Britain's exit from the European Union, having TSR operate by some EU laws that may not be laws in real-life Britain will create hassle. I believe the easiest way to extract Britain from the EU legal web will be better planned for by real life individuals whose job it is, not students; TSR should follow real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    God no. The Canon Amendment is the only reason we don't have daily riots in TSRland.

Seriously though, canon is irrelevant to this, as this is not the law in the UK and isn't guaranteed to be.
    Given that half the people here can't even be bothered to look at HANSARD do you really believe that they will know which EU laws are still in force when the RL politicians repeal them.

Indeed, do you really believe that there will no great repeal here within the next two years.

ReputationRep:
    This shouldn't be an amendment because it's not looking to create constitutional rules within TSR, it's merely a policy-based Act about what the rules should continue to be. Regarding your first point, literally read the first three words of s1(1). I get how implied repeal works before you say, but this just means that politically, it's very difficult to write something which says much more than "European Communities Act 1973 is repealed" in the future.

Responding to you and Rakas: considering Theresa May has loaded her Brexit/Trade/Foreign positions with possibly the only three current parliamentarians more inept than Jeremy Corbyn, I wouldn't count on it.
    Which doesn't exzplain why it has to be now, after all, we're looking at having AT LEAST 24 months before we should even be considering whether there is a need for this to be done explicitly or not. Further, how would this interact with the canon amendment, my understanding is that this would basically mean not a single EU related thing would be a change unless we explicitly copied every change across into TSRland and passed them all ourselves rather than canon doing it for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which doesn't exzplain why it has to be now, after all, we're looking at having AT LEAST 24 months before we should even be considering whether there is a need for this to be done explicitly or not. Further, how would this interact with the canon amendment, my understanding is that this would basically mean not a single EU related thing would be a change unless we explicitly copied every change across into TSRland and passed them all ourselves rather than canon doing it for us.
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle's Mind)
    I am TDA, I studied law, no one else in Britain has studied law: I know best. All of the legal experts whose job it is to know what to do are wrong, TSR should do what I tell everyone what TSR should do because I have a 2:1 in law.
    It is the authoritative sheep mentality that leads to the left-wing on TSR following TDA because the left-wing view TDA as a gospel of information.

ReputationRep:
    Given that half the people here can't even be bothered to look at HANSARD do you really believe that they will know which EU laws are still in force when the RL politicians repeal them.

Indeed, do you really believe that there will no great repeal here within the next two years.
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    My assumption is it is not guaranteed that we won't return to the 1970s IRL given the current group of people dealing with Brexit are incompetent muppets.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    It is the authoritative sheep mentality that leads to the left-wing on TSR following TDA because the left-wing view TDA as a gospel of information.
    The right would do well to view me as a gospel too.

ReputationRep:
    My assumption is it is not guaranteed that we won't return to the 1970s IRL given the current group of people dealing with Brexit are incompetent muppets.

The right would do well to view me as a gospel too.
    There is no incentive for the right-wing to stop supporting self-sufficiency from working hard in a job.

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation.

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.