Why won't boys read books written by a woman?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Why do so few women take STEM, medicine, computer science degrees? Gender isn't a social construct. Our brains are clearly, provably, different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 303Pharma)
    Why do so few women take medicine?
    ?????????
    Spoiler:
    Show
    They don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was reading an article on jk Rowling (who wrote Harry Potter) and it said that with her first book she was advised not to reveal her gender as boys would not read a book written by a woman?

I can't think why this would be though. I'm female and read books wrote by male authors when I was younger. It surprised me as I can't think why it would matter so just wanted to ask the guys would you have read books written by a women when you were younger if they had a good storyline?
    I have found there are three types of book. There is general reading. This includes the classics and what you might call serious literature. Then there are men's books which always have graphic covers and are about murder detectives and war. And then there is women's literature which is always pink and about a down and out woman who meets George Clooney and lives happily ever after. The later two are all rather depressing.

The gender of the author never occurred to me, safe to say mens literature tends to be written by men and visa versa. The bit in the middle is for all comers but tends to cater for lovers of books so it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    patriarchy
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Why do so few women take STEM, medicine, computer science degrees? Gender isn't a social construct. Our brains are clearly, provably, different.
    Rofl, easily explained by social conditioning, it doesn't have to be brain structure.

Also, more than half of all med students are women so, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, this social conditioning woowoo has been demolished. The 'blank slate' hypothesis is utter magical thinking. Biological reality has far more of an effect on behaviour, and traits, than the social "scientist" would have you believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...icated_Red_Fox

And how many female med. students are consultant surgeons?

ReputationRep:
    Ayn Rand is woman :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, this social conditioning woowoo has been demolished. The 'blank slate' hypothesis is utter magical thinking. Biological reality has far more of an effect on behaviour, and traits, than the social "scientist" would have you believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...icated_Red_Fox

And how many female med. students are consultant surgeons?
    I watched a documentary biological v social reasons the biologists say while society does affect people differences are biological and they had multiple studies to support this.

To stand against this the social 'scientists' simply stated that they reject the studies as they don't line up with their beliefs and then had the audacity to claim the biologists suffered from confirmation bias.

https://youtu.be/p5LRdW8xw70

ReputationRep:
    The general view seems tobe that women tend to write in more 'boring' genres such as historical dramas etc. than men. Naturally such a generaliztion is ridiculous but never the less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I watched a documentary biological v social reasons the biologists say while society does affect people differences are biological and they had multiple studies to support this.

To stand against this the social 'scientists' simply stated that they reject the studies as they don't line up with their beliefs and then had the audacity to claim the biologists suffered from confirmation bias.

https://youtu.be/p5LRdW8xw70
    There's some, plausible, understanding why sociologist believe in social conditioning. Probably bad example, but British born and raised muslim, smoke, drank, was promiscuous, in a short few years becomes radicalised into fanatical Islam.

However counter argument is any so called social conditioning can be reversed and re-normalised.

Someone a born extrovert, who is flamboyant, the soul of the party, always happy, laughing and joking, was born that way, and will be like that all there life.

Someone a born introvert (not shy, not the same thing), needs plenty of solitude. Not because they are antisocial, but because they need quiet time to recharge. Too much social interaction is too stimulating and burns them out.

We understand this dynamic because the hard sciences investigated it, rather than sociology ideology. It's down to cortisol hormonal response to external stimuli.

Extrovert produce less than average cortisol, so need to ramp up social interactions in order to get the stimulus they're after. They're often 'adrenaline junkies' for the same reason. Although it would be more accurate to class them as cortisol deficiency. Introverts on the other hand, produce massively more than average cortisol with the simplest of social interaction. This results in often being completely frazzled, needing to find seclusion to re-set.

Also, the greater understanding, and acceptance, of the transgender community in recent years, disproves the 'blank slate' hypothesis. If someone is deeply convinced they are a 'female' person trapped in a 'man's' body, or vice versa, there must be such entities as male or female brains and physiology. Behaviour is (mostly) biology.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I was reading an article on jk Rowling (who wrote Harry Potter) and it said that with her first book she was advised not to reveal her gender as boys would not read a book written by a woman?

I can't think why this would be though. I'm female and read books wrote by male authors when I was younger. It surprised me as I can't think why it would matter so just wanted to ask the guys would you have read books written by a women when you were younger if they had a good storyline?
    Think this is untrue. Suzann Collins wrte the Hunger Games. I just read a book if its good or interests me. Gender has nothing to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that men won't read books written by women; it's that there is a bias that male/female writers perform better in different genres.*

e.g. In fantasy (like Harry Potter) and science fiction male authors tend to be taken far more seriously. Whereas women seem to be more associated with romance, chick lit, etc. As of late, you'll see women absolutely dominate the YA and paranormal romance markets. When a female scfi fi/fantasy writer wants to be taken seriously and separate themselves from what people come to expect of a female author, they often use a pen name or just use their initials.

Saying this as someone who has written under several pen names with some that are deliberately ambiguous!*

ReputationRep:
    your argument is invalid

books written women often carry a stench of oestrogen, and gay males are attracted to testosterone

ReputationRep:
    erm
    most of the universities I've looked at the m:f for medicine is almost 50:50 with female actually being slightly higher, idk about the other degrees I know computer science seems to be mostly male.

ReputationRep:
    Publishers might not necessarily know what they're talking about?

Might have been to sound a bit more like genre authors like J.R.R Tolkein or H.P. Lovecraft

ReputationRep:
    Female authors don't tend to write violent, fast-paced action/thrillers which (from what I can gather), is what teenage/adolescent boys mostly want from the books they read. It's nothing personal, it's just that women have a different writing style that most boys probably can't relate to. Obviously there are exceptions like JK Rowling and Malorie Blackman who appeal to both sexes, but I can kind of see why boys might prefer books written by men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    The general view seems tobe that women tend to write in more 'boring' genres such as historical dramas etc. than men. Naturally such a generaliztion is ridiculous but never the less.
    Credit where it's due. Obviously, the classic, 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley. 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood (believe standard literature in US schools, like 'To Kill A Mocking Bird used to be in the UK). 'The Left Hand of Darkness' by Ursula K. Le Guin. If it's the book I'm thinking of, very interesting concepts.

But I understand your generalisation. Women tend to write about society, social interaction dynamics, gender, human feelings and emotions. Men to to write about action, and/or deep philosophical ideas, or technological propositions.

ReputationRep:
    Credit where it's due. Obviously, the classic, 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley. 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood (believe standard literature in US schools, like 'To Kill A Mocking Bird used to be in the UK). 'The Left Hand of Darkness' by Ursula K. Le Guin. If it's the book I'm thinking of, very interesting concepts.

But I understand your generalisation. Women tend to write about society, social interaction dynamics, gender, human feelings and emotions. Men to to write about action, and/or deep philosophical ideas, or technological propositions.
    I should point out it isnt my generalisation it's just the main reason i've heard. I mean it isnt especially true there are several prominent female crime writers for instance.
    In general though it does seem to be a widely held belief even if its more honoured in the breach than the observe, so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    I find books written by men more interesting generally

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.