What motivates you to dress nicely on a daily basis? (If you do it)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh9)
    I'm in this same sort of mindset at the moment.

Like..it was pouring it down with rain the other week and so I just threw on a hoodie and some jeans to go to Tesco, no makeup with my hair up and what happens??
    I end up seeing 2 high school *****es who I haven't seen in years (we're graduates now). I was like oh f.u.c.k and went to the total opposite side before they saw me because I ****ing hate seeing people from those days and afterwards I ended up bumping right into them when I turned the corner and they looked directly at me as I walked past.

It pissed me off so much that we saw each other because they were all dolled up just for the supermarket and they looked like they're doing well in life and stuff and I looked like **** because I made no effort that day.

So I'm more conscious now of how I present myself when I go out because this **** of bumping into old faces literally always happens when I go to the supermarket.
    Interesting how they looked like they were doing well in life because of how they were dressed. I wonder if this is how most people think when they see a well dressed person

Anyway good luck to us both until it becomes a habit

ReputationRep:
    I like fashion and its trends, also get mad compliments

ReputationRep:
    I just dress to please myself...

If others like it, they are my friends, if they don't deal with it!!!

Obviously you wanna at least look good in public. Think about one time, that you saw someone who looked terrible, even if they were capable of dressing well... Do you want to be that person? NO! You wanna be the girl evryone stares at and says, 'she looking clean'

ReputationRep:
    I dress nice because I'm not exactly a looker and have to compensate, tbh. Otherwise I'd never leave the house!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss_Rhythm)
    I just dress to please myself...

If others like it, they are my friends, if they don't deal with it!!!

Obviously you wanna at least look good in public. Think about one time, that you saw someone who looked terrible, even if they were capable of dressing well... Do you want to be that person? NO! You wanna be the girl evryone stares at and says, 'she looking clean'

'She lookin clean'? Who says that haha

ReputationRep:
    I used to wake up early to curl my hair; put on a full face of make-up including fake lashes and circle contact lenses imported from Malaysia; almost always wore dresses / fancy tops & mini skirts and heels; fancy 3D nail art; etc. Every day. For several years (age 18-22). It made me feel pretty, sexy, confident, etc. The motivation was simply I aspired to a doll-like aesthetic (Google living dolls or gyaru for an idea, as my style was inspired by the two) and loved how I felt in it. I enjoyed putting in the effort to look nice. People thought it was "too flashy", "overdone", and "[made me] look like an LA hooker" but eh, I didn't care what they thought.

I only stopped when I met my boyfriend and decided I'd rather use that time and money I spent on my appearance doing things with him instead. Any extra time with him was worth cutting out bits of my routine here and there until I cut everything back to just getting up, throwing on whatever is first out the closet, and heading straight out the door. He complained about the make-up and such anyway haha.

Long-story short: the motivation to look nice for yourself is definitely the key! Don't do it for other people. If it's a chore getting ready in the morning it's time to scale it back. I would love sitting with a cup of tea, listening to the radio, and doing my hair/face in the morning. It's the only way I kept it up for so long - the fact I enjoyed the process, not just the result.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    'She lookin clean'? Who says that haha
    Americans say that!!!

British people be like, 'Damn, She is so buff...'

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to dress nicely everyday even if I am not going out....think of it more as a bad hair day...everyone knows when you're having a bad hair day-it feels like the day is going bad as well...people dont realize that these little things change your attitude towards the whole day...and its also a lovely confidence booster-like almost as if nothing can get in your way!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    I used to wake up early to curl my hair; put on a full face of make-up including fake lashes and circle contact lenses imported from Malaysia; almost always wore dresses / fancy tops & mini skirts and heels; fancy 3D nail art; etc. Every day. For several years (age 18-22). It made me feel pretty, sexy, confident, etc. The motivation was simply I aspired to a doll-like aesthetic (Google living dolls or gyaru for an idea, as my style was inspired by the two) and loved how I felt in it. I enjoyed putting in the effort to look nice. People thought it was "too flashy", "overdone", and "[made me] look like an LA hooker" but eh, I didn't care what they thought.

I only stopped when I met my boyfriend and decided I'd rather use that time and money I spent on my appearance doing things with him instead. Any extra time with him was worth cutting out bits of my routine here and there until I cut everything back to just getting up, throwing on whatever is first out the closet, and heading straight out the door. He complained about the make-up and such anyway haha.

Long-story short: the motivation to look nice for yourself is definitely the key! Don't do it for other people. If it's a chore getting ready in the morning it's time to scale it back. I would love sitting with a cup of tea, listening to the radio, and doing my hair/face in the morning. It's the only way I kept it up for so long - the fact I enjoyed the process, not just the result.*
    Then why dont you go back to that time? It doesnt make sense that youre telling others to dress for themselves when you yourself do it for your partner. It seems that you really enjoyed it so why stop for him? Thats unhealthy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun)
    I prefer to dress nicely everyday even if I am not going out....think of it more as a bad hair day...everyone knows when you're having a bad hair day-it feels like the day is going bad as well...people dont realize that these little things change your attitude towards the whole day...and its also a lovely confidence booster-like almost as if nothing can get in your way!!
    Yayyy finally found a person who is at the stage I want to get to!

How long have you done this and has it done wonders for you confidence and productivity?

Also how do you look stylish at home?

ReputationRep:
    Then why dont you go back to that time? It doesnt make sense that youre telling others to dress for themselves when you yourself do it for your partner. It seems that you really enjoyed it so why stop for him? Thats unhealthy
    I stopped when the time and money I put into my appearance was getting in the way of spending time with him - not because he wanted me to. The fact he prefers it is just a bonus!

Even if we broke up now, I wouldn't go back to it. My style has changed and I'm happy with the lower maintenance look I have now. I had the same style for four years and feel I've outgrown it.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    I stopped when the time and money I put into my appearance was getting in the way of spending time with him - not because he wanted me to. The fact he prefers it is just a bonus!

Even if we broke up now, I wouldn't go back to it. My style has changed and I'm happy with the lower maintenance look I have now. I had the same style for four years and feel I've outgrown it.*
    Oh I understand now x

ReputationRep:
    Yayyy finally found a person who is at the stage I want to get to!

How long have you done this and has it done wonders for you confidence and productivity?

Also how do you look stylish at home?
    I have been doing this for about 2 years now....and it's not even about spending a lot of money to get to look good...you can still look good with the clothes you have....I think if you're comfortable with what you are wearing then that gives you more confidence...

At home-even if I am just in casual wear lounging around, to make myself look good I'll either wear a bit of jewellery, you dont really need makeup at home, but that depends on each individual....or I'll do my hair up really nicely....but for me it's more of a signature item....I know it sounds weird but I actually wear smart/formal trousers (and they are cropped) as i feel like my legs look better in them and on top I'll have on a sweatshirt (oversized, or sometimes men's) and I have trainers on underneath...for me it's more of the smart/scruffy look in one,and I'll do my hair in a messy bun or just leave it down making it look effortless...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I have been doing this for about 2 years now....and it's not even about spending a lot of money to get to look good...you can still look good with the clothes you have....I think if you're comfortable with what you are wearing then that gives you more confidence...

At home-even if I am just in casual wear lounging around, to make myself look good I'll either wear a bit of jewellery, you dont really need makeup at home, but that depends on each individual....or I'll do my hair up really nicely....but for me it's more of a signature item....I know it sounds weird but I actually wear smart/formal trousers (and they are cropped) as i feel like my legs look better in them and on top I'll have on a sweatshirt (oversized, or sometimes men's) and I have trainers on underneath...for me it's more of the smart/scruffy look in one,and I'll do my hair in a messy bun or just leave it down making it look effortless...
    Trainers at home ? or have i misread that lol

Thanks for the response. Do u feel horrible/very selfconscious to go out not looking your best now (if you even have days like that to begin with)

ReputationRep:
    -You have to look presentable
    -Anyone might compliment you and/or your attire
    -We aren't getting any older
    -Maybe a girl will come up to you and ask for your number...9/100 chance
    Just some of the things, I don't worry too much though

ReputationRep:
    Trainers at home ? or have i misread that lol

Thanks for the response. Do u feel horrible/very selfconscious to go out not looking your best now (if you even have days like that to begin with)
    Lol, I mis wrote that...trainers when I go out...socks at home! Lol!!
    YES!! Definitely!!!!! It just makes me feel down...like even when I am feeling ill I dress up just to make myself feel slightly better....sometimes if you look good on the outside you feel good on the inside!! My life motto ;p

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I mis wrote that...trainers when I go out...socks at home! Lol!!
    YES!! Definitely!!!!! It just makes me feel down...like even when I am feeling ill I dress up just to make myself feel slightly better....sometimes if you look good on the outside you feel good on the inside!! My life motto ;p
    How long does it take you to get dressed before you go out and do u wake up very early? I guess sacrificing sleep will be worth feeling good the rest of the day

Btw watch mimi ikonn's video 'why to always dress your best'. She goes into detail about this and inspired me to start in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh9)
    I'm in this same sort of mindset at the moment.

Like..it was pouring it down with rain the other week and so I just threw on a hoodie and some jeans to go to Tesco, no makeup with my hair up and what happens??
    I end up seeing 2 high school *****es who I haven't seen in years (we're graduates now). I was like oh f.u.c.k and went to the total opposite side before they saw me because I ****ing hate seeing people from those days and afterwards I ended up bumping right into them when I turned the corner and they looked directly at me as I walked past.

It pissed me off so much that we saw each other because they were all dolled up just for the supermarket and they looked like they're doing well in life and stuff and I looked like **** because I made no effort that day.

So I'm more conscious now of how I present myself when I go out because this **** of bumping into old faces literally always happens when I go to the supermarket.
    So wait you would dress up if you knew you were gonna see acquaintances you don't even care about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToussJ)
    So wait you would dress up if you knew you were gonna see acquaintances you don't even care about?
    Its natural to want others to think the best of us

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.