Go to Southampton or...?

Announcements Posted on

Or should I just withdraw my UCAS application and move out of the house and work and apply to ETH Zurich whilst doing some A level modules? But if I move out who would I live with? Is it possible to send off a UCAS application with no parents?

ReputationRep:
    I would take the city offer, it may be short notice but it should be okay

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending

What should I do is it too late to defer it starts in 7 days?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all they shouldn't mind because I defered my place on the 9th and the course started on the 12th they just said sure see you next year.I think ultimately it depends in the uni and how many applications they get and what course but really they've already given you a place so shouldn't be bothered about you wanting to defer.Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictoriaCoolio)
    That's what I said to my parents. I would work, learn another language. I'm even considering applying to ETH Zurich with those grades. A gap year is a once in a life time opportunity. I could improve my grades to A*AA. Then achieve my dreams. But then is it too late to defer my place because I only have 6 more days and my parents will threaten to kick me out of the house. But then also could I apply to other unis.
    OMG those are such good grades I got BCD and am going to resit for ABB.i think you should go to uni cos once you're there you wont even think about A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of declining Southampton and applying to Strathcylde through clearing. I just want to get further away from my family and it has a great nightlife or is that too late.
    If the course hasn't started and there are places available then it's not late

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Sam947)
    Not at all they shouldn't mind because I defered my place on the 9th and the course started on the 12th they just said sure see you next year.I think ultimately it depends in the uni and how many applications they get and what course but really they've already given you a place so shouldn't be bothered about you wanting to defer.Hope this helps
    Thanks for that what uni did you apply to and for what course? The course is very competitive and oversubscribed. I guess I could do that but I have 6 days. But I just couldn't bare the thought of spending another year at home with my stupid family.

(Original post by naomi288)
    I totally understand how you feel right now. First of all may I say that Southampton is still really good for Computer Science but if your heart is not with going to university then I suppose you will find it difficult to enjoy the next 3 years or so at uni. Explain to your parents about how you feel about your grades and they should respect your decision. It's your life not theirs so they shouldn't lead you into a pathway. If you're worried about student finance coming through, you should try and contact them before the money actually does come through. Surely they could stop it from reaching the uni!

And please don't be depressed! Are you sure you could handle a gap year? You don't want to put yourself in a situation like this year being stressed and depressed due to exams. That's the last thing you need! If you want to apply to Imperial, you need to check if they would consider your application if you resit some exams. Even if they say yes, this doe not necessarily mean that they will make you an offer with it being so competitive. That is the risk you'll be taking so please consider carefully!*

Alternatively, you could defer your entry at Southampton uni to improve your A-Level grades but you will not be able to apply to any other universities whilst holding a deferred place.
    Oh yeah it means I wouldn't be able to apply to any other unis whilst holding a deferred place. But say I improve massively could I get into somewhere like Bristol through adjustment because that was my firm offer which I missed for AAA

(Original post by Sam947)
    OMG those are such good grades I got BCD and am going to resit for ABB.i think you should go to uni cos once you're there you wont even think about A-levels.
    But I barely put in any revision or answered any of questions because I had exenuating circumstances so I thought I didn't have to sit for those exams and I forced to take exams under temporary memory loss so I just felt like all hope was lost because I had a mental breakdown during exam time. As I was told by the school that I sit modules at home should my condition drastically improve so I took that as they could rearrange the exam dates for me. I was just being foolish at the time and had 11 exams to sit and was under a lot of pressure to do well at the time. And I began to hallucinate and see things that weren't there and I thought Michael Jackson was still alive and thought my cousin was my dad.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah it means I wouldn't be able to apply to any other unis whilst holding a deferred place. But say I improve massively could I get into somewhere like Bristol through adjustment because that was my firm offer which I missed for AAA
    That's not how Adjustment works. It's only available if you exceed your Firm Offer in the same application cycle. Not if you resit the following year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by jneill)
    That's not how Adjustment works. It's only available if you exceed your Firm Offer in the same application cycle. Not if you resit the following year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh okay then say I exceed my offer and apply to Bristol through clearing next year provided I have the grades would that work.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay then say I exceed my offer and apply to Bristol through clearing next year provided I have the grades would that work.
    Why through Clearing? There's no guarantee they will be in Clearing 2017.

Also you can't apply at all if you hold a deferred place. You would have to withdraw from the place first before applying to any other universities.

Southampton is a good university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why through Clearing? There's no guarantee they will be in Clearing 2017.

Also you can't apply at all if you hold a deferred place. You would have to withdraw from the place first before applying to any other universities.

Southampton is a good university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Update I'm taking up the place for Southampton university. Bristol is quite competitive and you're right there's no guarantee they'll even look at me next year. It's still an amazing university and I will be happy there. I'm gone past this stage of obssessing over grades and I'll just focus on getting my first. But what about ETH Zurich would I still have a chance of transferring after the second year?

ReputationRep:
    But what about ETH Zurich would I still have a chance of transferring after the second year?
    That's a good decision.

You would have to ask ETH.

Good luck at Soton.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good decision.

You would have to ask ETH.

Good luck at Soton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm still unsure about the course though. I've never coded before. But say I struggle would it be possible to change course to mathematics. I guess I am only doing the course because I've been pressured to by my parents and family and school. Is the course really that hard? But I'm good at maths and I've loved it all my life. But would it be easy to swap to maths degree when I get there? Also thank you. Because I've kind of realised I'm uninterested in computer science.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still unsure about the course though. I've never coded before. But say I struggle would it be possible to change course to mathematics. I guess I am only doing the course because I've been pressured to by my parents and family and school. Is the course really that hard? But I'm good at maths and I've loved it all my life. But would it be easy to swap to maths degree when I get there? Also thank you. Because I've kind of realised I'm uninterested in computer science.
    Ask Southampton now, before you arrive. Do you meet their Maths course requirements?

Ask Southampton now, before you arrive. Do you meet their Maths course requirements?
    I don't meet there maths requirements. I did ask a couple of days agoa and they said if they have spaces and if I meet the requirements but at that time my enhanced grading didn't come through so I asked them to leave it and today I confirmed my place for Computer Science and now I'm gonna ask them tochange course. I've rung them up so many times I feel like I'm building up a bad reputation for myself as a trouble making and I've gone over on my phone bill by £100 even though I have unlimited calls and I've just cracked my brand new phone that my mum bpught me so I'm pretty screwed.

ReputationRep:
    Update I'm taking up the place for Southampton university. Bristol is quite competitive and you're right there's no guarantee they'll even look at me next year. It's still an amazing university and I will be happy there. I'm gone past this stage of obssessing over grades and I'll just focus on getting my first. But what about ETH Zurich would I still have a chance of transferring after the second year?
    Yessssss finally, love this attitude

You can always do a masters at ETH, or try to see if an erasmus year there is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Princepieman)
    Yessssss finally, love this attitude

You can always do a masters at ETH, or try to see if an erasmus year there is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you do think I'll be okay with computer science. Even though I've never coded. Also what to do about my phone situation? Because I'm £100 over on my phone bill and I've just cracked my new phone.

ReputationRep:
    No need to fret most people haven't coded before, you'll pick it up easily enough if you're a logical thinker.

Inquire about the possibility of switching from CS to CS and Maths, CS gas a decent amount of maths in it as it is but may as well look into it.

You haven't studied CS yet, give it a bash instead of writing it off before getting there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.