Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sick and tired of conspiracy crap infecting our politics Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Every awake person knows it was an inside job by the Lizard People, in alliance with the reverse vampires, under the overall control of the Queen.

And if you don't agree with that, you're obviously part of the conspiracy too
    *woke

Yes, we all know it was a controlled demolition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Lastly, most of these conspiracy theorists see themselves as skeptics. A proper skeptic would be as skrpticskbof conspiracy theories as they would be if the MSM.

Of course msm wants to try and manipulate you for their own interest. But do of course do conspiracist blogs - Alex Jones isn't exactly poor is he?
    This is true. They'll often accuse other people of being sheep and say "you just swallow up everything in the mainstream media" yet they always eat up the BS from the conspiracy sites without question. Absolute nincompoops. RT viewers are really bad for this sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    I'm becoming completely sick and tired of the conspiracist, demagogic, pseudo-populist crap that has completely infected our politics, This mindset is particularly bad among the Corbynites and UKIP (and the latter is not a dig at everyone who voted Leave, I did so myself for reasons relating to democratic accountability), and the Trumpites, but it is starting to make itself felt in all areas.

This mindset involves the automatic assumption that everything is a conspiracy, and everyone in any position of authority is part of it. It involves a complete contempt for any media organisation that fails to pander to their prejudices; you see it with Corbynites attacking the Guardian for reporting anything unfavourable to Corbyn; as though "It's my right not to have my views challenged; if you print something that contradicts what I believe, then you are completely corrupt."

It involves complete contempt for any sort of experts, and the stance that their feelings override facts; that what they read on some conspiracy website trumps the opinion of people who are qualified to know whereof they speak. It involves a total scorn of all the advances (social, economic, political, technological) that our society has made in the last 150 years in favour of a default view that everything is ****, everything is corrupt, and "everyone is against me". You also find that people who hold these views end up sympathising with those whose political aims couldn't be more different; for example, UKIP supporters feeling very positive toward Corbyn, because they perceive him as being "against the establishment" and shares their hatred of Blair. It goes to support the "horseshoe" theory of politics; that the hard left and far right have more in common with each other than with their respective centre-left and centre-right brethren.

These people are often extremely abusive on Twitter to anyone they perceive as being part of the establishment/Zionists/Blairites/neoliberals/lizard people (delete as appropriate). Any attempt to provide an earnest, well-thought out answer actually serves to encourage them as they sense that as weakness. Any citation of facts is simply ignored or met with "Well they would say that, wouldn't they". You can see this attitude in the Smith/Corbyn debate when Smith said things that were indisputably and demonstrably true, and the Corbyn supporters groaned and heckled and did this snide sort-of laugh.

And that laugh speaks to a major element of this; the laugh says, "Oh I know the real truth. I know how things really work. I won't fall for your establishment 'facts'". This is the mindset they have; they invariably have an extremely obnoxious mentality based on their belief that they are really clever, that they've worked out how things truly work and anyone who disagrees is either stupid, malicious or part of the conspiracy.

Finally, this mindset involves a foundational "betrayal myth". In 1920s and 1930s Germany the far-right parties developed what was called the "stab in the back" myth. It was a narrative that said that Germany wasn't truly defeated militarily, that they were winning the war but the Jews betrayed them. "Stab in the back" myths are prevalent in many groups in many societies, but they can be particularly pernicious as people start to believe that some conspiratorial group "sold us down the river". It elevates emotion over historical inquiry. And this is precisely the myth we are seeing develop on both the hard-left and hard-right. On the Corbynite left the "stab in the back" myth is that Blair betrayed the Labour movement, that everything was great before Blair and that he turned the Labour Party into a "Tory-lite" party. On the hard right, it involves a belief that politicians "sold us down the river" on immigration, that there was some conspiracy to "dilute the white race" or something equally inane.

Unfortunately a worldview built around a perception of betrayal, rather than a positive vision of society, becomes a poison in the body politic. For the people who believe it, their driving motivation becomes anger, embitterment and revenge. And anyone who fails to sign up to that belief, or disagrees with their methods, immediately is believed to be an accomplice to the betrayal.

This mindset, overall (as described in the whole post), is spreading like a toxin through our society, and it has unfortunately been turbocharged by the internet which allows people to create an echo chamber of similarly-minded extremists who all egg each other on and make them feel almost like they are part of a gang (which can be, for people who have psychological or emotional problems, very appealing). I believe the backlash against these people is coming; for all their claims of populist appeal, they are in fact still on the fringe. The vast majority of ordinary non-politically inclined voters still look to moderate centre-left and centre-right ideas as the way forward. But until the judgment of the people works its magic, the problem (and the people and their poisonous ideas) will continue to fester and putrify

KimKallstrom JamesN88 KingBradly Good bloke L i b

Bush did 9/11. Vote Trump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fksociety)
    *woke

Yes, we all know it was a controlled demolition.
    Actually it was a hologram. Don't believe everything you read like a sheeple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Actually it was a hologram. Don't believe everything you read like a sheeple.
    Hmm yeah maybe. Interesting

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.