Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is it work spending over £80 for a calculator?!?

ReputationRep:
    yeah as everyone else is saying, just buy any old scientfic one, shouldnt be more than £15. The fancy graphing calculators and ones that do some calculus for you arent used until degree or higher (i think)

ReputationRep:
    even an Albert could cope with the work:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagnetoWasRight)
    I spent over that on a calculator and it got me bare pussy so yes.
    I'm not doing maths Alevel but to do maths do you really have to spend that much on a calculator! Just asking because I actually want to self teach maths Alevel in the future. Also if possible can you please tell me where I should start roughly as I had tried to start in the summer but beginner Alevel maths videos actually seemed look like stuff we'd done at GCSE I know there are goIng to be overlapping but I just didn't know where I need to start
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Any of you guys got those fully alphabet calculators? Or is it just me?
    Not many people have them I see.

ReputationRep:
    I can justify dropping a good amount of cash on some boots.
    I can justify dropping a good amount of cash on some shoes
    I can justify dropping a hell of a lot of cash on a car.

I can't justify spending so much on a damn calculator. It isn't needed, a simple scientific calculator will work fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight2000)
    I'm not doing maths Alevel but to do maths do you really have to spend that much on a calculator! Just asking because I actually want to self teach maths Alevel in the future. Also if possible can you please tell me where I should start roughly as I had tried to start in the summer but beginner Alevel maths videos actually seemed look like stuff we'd done at GCSE I know there are goIng to be overlapping but I just didn't know where I need to start
    Thanks
    No. I used a Casio FX991ES+ and it was more than enough.

About £15 on Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rb16)
    I'm not sure whether to buy the Casio fx9680GII (over £80) or the Casio fx 9750GII which is around £60.. Is the Casio fx 9680GII significantly better than the other one?? I'm taking maths and further maths for alevel btw
    I bought the former a few years ago when it was considerably more expensive than £80.

I bought the casio 911ES one when I got to uni as it was the one we were allowed to use in our exams and so I use that most for problem sheets etc. so I'm used to using it for the exams. I used the 83GT/similar at school for homework and exams, and got the 9680GII in y13 as it was the calculator with the most functions allowed for A level exams at the time (I'd already done FP2 and FP3 in y12 though so never actually used it in any maths exams)

If I were buying again I would buy a calculator that did symbolic calculus (the 9680GII doesn't do this), and see it as an investment in a good calculator that I could use for years to come), seeing as I never actually used my graphical calc in my A level exams.

My dad paid for the 9680GII for me. I think it was worth the money. I still use the 9680GII regularly. I have it lying around my room, if I want to e.g. quickly check a graph I've drawn. It's useful when the 911ES won't fit enough characters on the screen, and it's far quicker when checking numerical integration (the 911ES can take ages to compute). The calculator is v quick. And it's nice to be able to see lots of lines of working at once. Though for anything complicated I now tend to use mathematica instead, but I only learnt to use that this year.

Whilst still at school I used to enjoy playing with the calculator, and programming it for a bit of fun. I got the one with the sd card slot so downloaded some other things onto it.

I found it really useful in uni practicals (and also A level physics practicals), as I could quickly plot a graph of my results to check they were as expected, and know what data to repeat, without tediously plotting a graph by hand (this year though you could bring your own laptop to the practicals and make a graph beforehand to sub in your results into).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is not, no.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing all the maths modules with Excel for maths further maths and additional further maths. so that would be
    C1 C2 C3 C4
    M1 M2 M3 M4 M5
    S1 S2 S3 S4
    D1 D2
    FP1 FP2 and FP3

would this calculator be allowed in all exams ( barring the non calculator paper of course) and would it be sufficient for all the exams? if so I worry that mine would not be allowed though I think it would, and worry it may not be sufficient though I think it would.

For the sake of £10 i would rather just buy this one if the answer is yes to all of that. For the peace of mind. I would rather a different color then pink, but in all honesty if thats not possible it is not a huge deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight2000)
    Thanks
    No you don't, certainly not for A level mathematics. It's literally just me being excessive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    I am doing all the maths modules with Excel for maths further maths and additional further maths. so that would be
    C1 C2 C3 C4
    M1 M2 M3 M4 M5
    S1 S2 S3 S4
    D1 D2
    FP1 FP2 and FP3

would this calculator be allowed in all exams ( barring the non calculator paper of course) and would it be sufficient for all the exams? if so I worry that mine would not be allowed though I think it would, and worry it may not be sufficient though I think it would.

For the sake of £10 i would rather just buy this one if the answer is yes to all of that. For the peace of mind. I would rather a different color then pink, but in all honesty if thats not possible it is not a huge deal.
    Name:  IMG_6223.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  128.8 KB
    £9.99 on Amazon and £9.98 in Staples.

I think you should ask your Maths teacher for clarification. However, I'm sure you should be able to use this calculator as it's a very popular brand. I heard there are some calculators the exam boards don't let the students use but I don't think it's Casio branded calculators.

Literally, most people buy Casio calculators. In addition, this one won't need batteries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    Name:  IMG_6223.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  128.8 KB
    £9.99 on Amazon and £9.98 in Staples.

I think you should ask your Maths teacher for clarification. However, I'm sure you should be able to use this calculator as it's a very popular brand. I heard there are some calculators the exam boards don't let the students use but I don't think it's Casio branded calculators.

Literally, most people buy Casio calculators. In addition, this one won't need batteries.
    Thanks I could ask my maths teacher, but it is generally considered the first sign of mental illness. I am my maths teacher self teaching I am 31 and trying to pursue the a levels to get a maths degree for career change.

I use exam solutions quite a bit so arguably the guy that makes those videos is my maths tutor, but I dont speak to him directly and as far as I am aware he has not made a video on calculators. Maybe I should just email edExcel or maybe ask when I go to those step classes I am going to attend.

I just really don't want to risk an exam center saying sorry your not allowed in or disqualifying, etc. I guess it would also help to find proof that this calculator is definately 100% allowed just in case it is but the exam center don't know and don't allow it etc. then I could show them paper work or something.

its one of the calculators actually sold on Exam Solutions link so I think its got to be okay. I will buy from there so the guy gets ad revenue or link revenue whatever I mean his videos are helping me a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    Thanks I could ask my maths teacher, but it is generally considered the first sign of mental illness. I am my maths teacher self teaching I am 31 and trying to pursue the a levels to get a maths degree for career change.

I use exam solutions quite a bit so arguably the guy that makes those videos is my maths tutor, but I dont speak to him directly and as far as I am aware he has not made a video on calculators. Maybe I should just email edExcel or maybe ask when I go to those step classes I am going to attend.

I just really don't want to risk an exam center saying sorry your not allowed in or disqualifying, etc. I guess it would also help to find proof that this calculator is definately 100% allowed just in case it is but the exam center don't know and don't allow it etc. then I could show them paper work or something.

its one of the calculators actually sold on Exam Solutions link so I think its got to be okay. I will buy from there so the guy gets ad revenue or link revenue whatever I mean his videos are helping me a lot.
    Oh okay, that's fine. You should just contact the exam board directly but I'm sure it will be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    no its not even justifiable spending £80 on food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rb16)
    I'm not sure whether to buy the Casio fx9680GII (over £80) or the Casio fx 9750GII which is around £60.. Is the Casio fx 9680GII significantly better than the other one?? I'm taking maths and further maths for alevel btw
    Why bother? Most people at my school have the Casio FX-85GT, you don't need anything more complex. Also, some calculators can't be used in exams because they can answer almost any question with a few button presses, those may be in that list looking at them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised that any of these are exam legal in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    Anything with a CAS isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    I did Edexcel for Maths in GCSE and A Level so the rules for calculator use may have been different. I'm sure that graphing calculators were banned in Edexcel.
    Wow ok, I'm actually surprised by the level of disparity between the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    Just between you guys, I have this calculator with the full alphabet, and I can essentially save and store programs. I even modded the harddrive kek, it's 32kb, enough to hold pretty much lots of lines of equations and stuff, I can cheat in exams, but it's too risky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    Just between you guys, I have this calculator with the full alphabet, and I can essentially save and store programs. I even modded the harddrive kek, it's 32kb, enough to hold pretty much lots of lines of equations and stuff, I can cheat in exams, but it's too risky.
    but whats the point, I mean for example My dream has always been a maths degree come from Cambridge. However in all honesty besides me doubting I can get an offer, their is a part of me that fears if I got there I might struggle and fail.

I re assure myself by thinking well if I got the grades then I am qualified to be there so should be okay if I work hard once there. However If I cheated to get there, I can't say that anymore. maybe I get in now due to having cheated find I am not able and end up dropping out.

Exams are there for a reason to test if you have learned the material, understand the material and have an ability for it. If you get into a university based upon false qualifications (having cheated etc) then you may find your not up to the standard and fail, if you get into a job based on false qualifications (eg having cheated again) you might find your not actually able to understand or perform the job then you get fired.

The whole point of exams is to test your up to the standard to be ready for the next stage so if you cheat it your going into the next stage not ready, which usually won't work out that well.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.