Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do normal people make friends? Watch

Announcements

(Original post by rainbowman)
    that's creepy af and it won't work (not that you're serious).
    doctor who pic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    How would anybody on TSR know? None of us are normal/have social skills :sad:
    Why such a low self image
    I'm sure there's normal people on tsr...

:unsure:

ReputationRep:

:console:

unfortunately I can relate....*sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faheemcg9)
    About what? Its always so awkward
    Not always just ask what subjects that they are studying and why and just ease it naturally into conversation. Then exchange numbers and stuff.

But just be confident and calm don't just shoot random questions at them haha.

You got this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Lol next to drug addiction, sex addiction, and incest :sadnod:

Many people would probably rather admit to an addiction or incest than they would loneliness.

Funny that.

ReputationRep:
    TFW 16 and still dont know how to talk to people
    The same way you did at Nursery? Primary School? Secondary School?

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123moon)
    Not always just ask what subject that they are studying and why and just ease it naturally into conversation. Then exchange numbers and stuff.

But just be confident and calm don't just shoot random questions at them haha.

You got this!
    I feel too anxious in convos. I just blurt out some random **** that weirds people out :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    The same way you did at Nursery? Primary School? Secondary School?

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sit in a corner and dont speak at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Many people would probably rather admit to an addiction or incest than they would loneliness.

Funny that.
    Hmm..because you can treat addiction whereas loneliness...tough luck really lol

ReputationRep:
    I feel too anxious in convos. I just blurt out some random **** that weirds people out :/
    Aww i used to be exactly like you (still am slightly) just think before you speak but what s*** can you really say to someone new that you don't know...? (wait don't answer that lool) Just respect them and they will do the same to you and don't over think it, it will happen naturally without you even realising.

Being calm and to be able to keep the conversation going is also key by not just interrogating the other person but by acc being honest and open, it's a two way thing.

If you feel as though you are too shy find someone with similar qualities or even a smile can really change the way people think about you and can make you more approachable!

ReputationRep:
    Not an easy question to answer, all I can say is be yourself and pursue your interests and you'll find the right people that way - don't force it.

ReputationRep:
    Generally just approach people and say hi. Friendship may blossom, may not, but at least you tried.

Truly just work on your confidence. If there's a group of people that you'd like to be friends with talk to them be cool and relaxed, remember they want to make friends too!
    The thing I most regret from 6th form is assuming people didn't want to talk to me - and therefore missing out on friendships.

ReputationRep:
    Show a genuine interest in people, ask questions, remember stuff about them. Be funny and share yourself with them aswell.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Truly just work on your confidence. If there's a group of people that you'd like to be friends with talk to them be cool and relaxed, remember they want to make friends too!

The thing I most regret from 6th form is assuming people didn't want to talk to me - and therefore missing out on friendships.
    Read books/ articles on developing your self confidence

(Original post by 123moon)
    Aww i used to be exactly like you (still am slightly) just think before you speak but what s*** can you really say to someone new that you don't know...? (wait don't answer that lool) Just respect them and they will do the same to you and don't over think it, it will happen naturally without you even realising.

Being calm and to be able to keep the conversation going is also key by not just interrogating the other person but by acc being honest and open, it's a two way thing.

If you feel as though you are too shy find someone with similar qualities or even a smile can really change the way people think about you and can make you more approachable!
    Hi. Im currently in Year 11 and fell out of my friendship group cuz they kept on complaining about my physical appearance which made me have body confidence issues, never really invited me out and just bullied me in general ( I was kinda new then). Im quite a shy person and never really talked much in class (cuz of an illness I had which made me drowsy in class) but now I participate a lot in class (which shocks my teachers and classmates), and talk to the people around me (they're quite shocked cuz I wasnt talking at first). At break, I hang out in the reading room revising. I thought I could be independent but now I get tired being on my own. Ive tried finding people with similar interests for about 6 months but I just cant find any. Do you think it is too late to make friends in Year 11 and will friendship groups at this stage be open to accept new people? I just feel like people are so used to me being quiet but Ive changed now. I really dont want to go back to my old friendship group cuz they'll probably feel I depend on them and continue tryna bully me. How do you know if a friendship group would accept you and has similar interests as you? I really want to make good and nice friends with similar interests as me so that I can fit in

ReputationRep:
    This thread is perfect for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi. Im currently in Year 11 and fell out of my friendship group cuz they kept on complaining about my physical appearance which made me have body confidence issues, never really invited me out and just bullied me in general ( I was kinda new then). Im quite a shy person and never really talked much in class (cuz of an illness I had which made me drowsy in class) but now I participate a lot in class (which shocks my teachers and classmates), and talk to the people around me (they're quite shocked cuz I wasnt talking at first). At break, I hang out in the reading room revising. I thought I could be independent but now I get tired being on my own. Ive tried finding people with similar interests for about 6 months but I just cant find any. Do you think it is too late to make friends in Year 11 and will friendship groups at this stage be open to accept new people? I just feel like people are so used to me being quiet but Ive changed now. I really dont want to go back to my old friendship group cuz they'll probably feel I depend on them and continue tryna bully me. How do you know if a friendship group would accept you and has similar interests as you? I really want to make good and nice friends with similar interests as me so that I can fit in
    Aww well I'm glad you have come out of your shell a bit more! And no don't worry I've just started Year 12 and a lot of friendships around me have changed as people move on and go onto different places to start a new chapter in their lives and new people come so don't worry there are still plenty more opportunities to make new friends. To be honest, joining any new friendship group can be hard at first depending on how close the individuals are beforehand but it kind of just happens naturally and you would really know unless you try (talking so asking questions,hobbies, interests, likes/dislikes etc.) then you just kind of develop a bond and start to hang out. If not, start it off in the classroom like ask questions with your peers about the work but don't do it continuously so within moderation sometimes small talk is the best but it is all about self confidence which it sounds like your developing so don't worry! It's simple really, hope I could help!

Hope all goes well for you! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sararodrigues)
    This thread is perfect for me.

:console:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.