*Sees Farage MEP PMB*
    *Braces himself*
    *Skimreads a few lines*
    *Not surprised - closes thread*

Spoiler:
    Show

lmaooooo

ReputationRep:
    Nay this is far too aggressively anti-theist.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent bill! Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people. Let us face reality! We don't need religion!

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Excellent bill! Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people. Let us face reality! We don't need religion!
    So you'd vote to remove queen as head of the church?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    So you'd vote to remove queen as head of the church?

The church and the state should be separate.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aye. I completely agree with this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I could support a bill of this sort but this one goes way too far in way too many places.

1.4 is too aggressive and 1.5 is unnecessary. 3.1 needs toning down. Make it harder to build a new place of worship? Perhaps. Ban it? No. 4 is just bad. 6.2 is unclear and needs to be clarified - what exactly is being taxed 15%? Even if it was clarified I probably wouldn't support it. 7 infringes on free speech to such a great extent that the whole section should just go.

Currently it's a 'No' from me. I know you're too stubborn to make the changes required for this to become passable, so I guess a 'No' it shall stay.

ReputationRep:
    There is a difference between secularism, and sectarian atheism. This bill promotes the latter. Nay.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    At school children are taught knowledge, when a child is wrong the teacher corrects the child's mistake, the same should be done for religion. Religion is based on a concept that is wrong, meaning schools, parents, and the government should start meeting their responsibilities to teach children the right thing which is religion is the belief of an imaginary thing.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    There is a difference between secularism, and sectarian atheism. This bill promotes the latter. Nay.
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Very well put.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Religion is based on a concept that is wrong
    Not provably so. Just as religious people can't prove their particular deity exists, I can't prove that it doesn't.

Also, religion has informed so many cultures - will history classes be completely altered to reflect this?

ReputationRep:
    Nay, schools shouldn't discourage religion because in some sense that is telling people that religious beliefs and wrong and invalid. You may personally believe that which is fair but then we are teaching young children to be intolerant and mistrusting towards other cultures, it also creates an element of bullying as student's will bully those from a religious background. Absurd bill.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You lost my vote here: Control of religion in schools
    Nay.
    Plus teaching of this sort can interest some, help people find out what their views are and most certainly should not be completely axed.
    I think teaching should go into more what atheism/agnosticism + is as well as informing students of the views of other religions in order for students to gain a wider outlook into the diversity of our world.
    Might help prevent these injustices against the religious
    "Religious causes wars, a decline in social cohesion, and a public who look to something that does not exist for guidance. "
    :facepalm: = that sentence
    Spoiler:
    Show
    *insert one does not simply control religion meme*

ReputationRep:
    Another note, the title of this bill is just pathetic.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This bill has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.