Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Songs that help you through Dark Times Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beehall)
    It may sound weird but some days having the ability to listen to a song I recently discovered gives me a reason to keep me going. They are great for grounding as well, if I ever have flashbacks sometimes playing songs im very familiar with help a lot.
    Yes I understand what you mean, it's not weird at all! And if I listen to songs I used to listen to a few years ago, I can have flashbacks- some very good memories come back! I also love listening to songs with very meaningful lyrics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8twpQTna_9w
    Thankyou
    Is it there? If it is, this song I found whilst in a hospital and it got me through some good times. It was also a handy song to play to my mum who heard the chorus and was like YAY
    thx

ReputationRep:
    Another thing about music that I love is when you listen to a song you found a while back, and when you listen again you relive memories and feelings associated with that song. Sometimes its bad but I try to look on the bright side now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Yes I understand what you mean, it's not weird at all! And if I listen to songs I used to listen to a few years ago, I can have flashbacks- some very good memories come back! I also love listening to songs with very meaningful lyrics
    Its really weird that I just posted something along these lines and then I scroll up and saw this!

ReputationRep:
    Its really weird that I just posted something along these lines and then I scroll up and saw this!
    OK... :wtf:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    Life Is Worth Living - Justin Bieber

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The Beginning by ONE OK ROCK: (a japanese band with amazing english)

ENJOY

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I listen to songs from my childhood which makes me think of happier times

The Defamation of Strickland Banks album from Plan B is always a good one

The Fray = How To Save A Life
    Florence and the Machine = Dog Days Are Over
    Ivan Gough ft Feenixpawl and Georgi Kay = In My Mind
    Chase and Status ft Plan B = End Credits
    Birdy = Wings (Nu:Logic Remix)
    Awolnation = Sail

Also, Azealia Banks = 212 is a brillliant song to listen to when you're angry

ReputationRep:
    Have any of you guys tried a torch, Idk, just helps a lot I've recognised. The right type of waves... Y'know.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Amanké Dionti - Ablaye Cissoko & Volker Goetze

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay sorry dude! Have a great day
    Peeeaaaaacee

ReputationRep:
    To me it depends what sort of 'dark time it is. If I'm feeling depressed I find that I can pick myself up to a much better mood by listening to punk rock songs, sum41's fat lip especially. If I'm feeling overly angry, I tend to listen to S club 7, american authors, imagine dragons and the summer set. Otherwise, I like to listen to pretty much any sort of music except grime and so generally stick to listening to simple plan and fall out boy when I'm in a normal mood.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, some rain and nature sounds.
    Tokyo ghoul - On my own
    Eminem Music.
    Sad music.

Well, depending on what mood I'm in....

Tomorrow Is Today - Billy Joel.
    He tried to kill himself at 19 years old and the song is an adaptation of his suicide note, very sad and the lyrics sum those feelings up perfectly.
    Or...
    You're Only Human (Second Wind) - Billy Joel.
    This is a much more upbeat one he wrote 15 years later, trying to help teenagers through depression and suicide.

Sometimes I have to really let myself feel sad for it to be able to pass, but other times it helps more if I stick a happy song on. Either way I listen to one of these songs, picture 19 year old Billy Joel and what he almost did, and then think how 50 years later he's still here and how much he's achieved.
    Or I watch live concerts in stadiums or arenas. Even if I don't know the artist's songs I always feel a little their euphoria and sense of awe; watching someone in such a surreal situation is a great feeling in itself.

ReputationRep:
    Just lost everything I've written so let me try and remember...
    I'm pretty overwhelmed with how many people have responded, but it also saddens me how many people go through crap. On the positive side, at least music is here.
    Here are a few classical pieces I love:
    The Cinematic Orchestra- Transformation (3:40 gives me goosebumps everytime!!)
    Hans Zimmer- Time
    Hans Zimmer- Half Remembered Dream
    Alexandre Desplat- Lily's Theme
    Alexandre Desplat- The Imitation Game
    Dustin O'Halloran - Arrivals N2.

I Love Mumford and Sons too! I know pretty much every songs lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well, depending on what mood I'm in....

Tomorrow Is Today - Billy Joel.
    He tried to kill himself at 19 years old and the song is an adaptation of his suicide note, very sad and the lyrics sum those feelings up perfectly.
    Or...
    You're Only Human (Second Wind) - Billy Joel.
    This is a much more upbeat one he wrote 15 years later, trying to help teenagers through depression and suicide.

Sometimes I have to really let myself feel sad for it to be able to pass, but other times it helps more if I stick a happy song on. Either way I listen to one of these songs, picture 19 year old Billy Joel and what he almost did, and then think how 50 years later he's still here and how much he's achieved.
    Or I watch live concerts in stadiums or arenas. Even if I don't know the artist's songs I always feel a little their euphoria and sense of awe; watching someone in such a surreal situation is a great feeling in itself.
    I am definitely going to have to listen to these! Yeah, it helps me a lot too to see people who struggled a lot but are still around and doing well.

ReputationRep:
    Hot Gates- Mumford and Sons, is a brilliant song, i think about depression/suicide. But sort of from a friends point of view, and trying to support them and rally them to put the thought of suicide aside and keep trying and fighting.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much any 80s new wave stuff

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.