Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Black lives matter or All lives matter? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacarch12)
    Then why isn't the "Too" on the end, why do we have to infer that is what it means. Where does that come from initially though, I didn't need them to tell me their lives mattered because I already knew it did matter equally to mine.
    The phrase was made for rhetoric effect. Just search all the police shootings of innocent African-Americans and all should be clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mavrick388)
    The phrase was made for rhetoric effect. Just search all the police shootings of innocent African-Americans and all should be clear.
    But if a person resists arrest of the law, they are therefore a criminal and if a Police officer is threatened in the US he is allowed to shoot in self defence, I think this has happened with around 75% of cases.

ReputationRep:
    But if a person resists arrest of the law, they are therefore a criminal and if a Police officer is threatened in the US he is allowed to shoot in self defence, I think this has happened with around 75% of cases.
    Oh come on...and let's say your point is valid, 25% is still a significant police brutality toll, actually one case is one too many.

ReputationRep:
    #AllLivesMatter

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on...and let's say your point is valid, 25% is still a significant police brutality toll, actually one case is one too many.
    I don't understand though, more whites are killed annually by police, so wouldn't it be logical just to say "All lives matter" Then the fix might come quicker as more people are working on it.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSt7JUs_D_4- watch this and tell me that the man deserved to lose his life.

ReputationRep:
    how can all lives matter when black lives don't? unfortunately, that's the problem.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSt7JUs_D_4- watch this and tell me that the man deserved to lose his life.
    That isn't the point I am making. Just because he is black doesn't mean all lives don't matter. Just because he was shot doesn't mean more whites are shot each year.

I dont understand the focus on BLACK lives matter it needs to be all and thats it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howtobealady)
    how can all lives matter when black lives don't? unfortunately, that's the problem.
    And in what regard do they not matter, if more whites are killed annually by US police?
    You wouldn't apply that logic if it was a white lives matter movement would you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand though, more whites are killed annually by police, so wouldn't it be logical just to say "All lives matter" Then the fix might come quicker as more people are working on it.
    That's simply not true....."Almost 1,200 people, mostly minorities, killed by US cops in 2015. US law enforcement officers killed up to 1,199 people last year, the majority of whom were 'people of color'. According to the open-source reporting project Killed by Police, 574 of those who died were minorities, 511 were white, and 107 undetermined"-2015. What makes this stat even bigger is that blacks make up less than 15% of USA.

ReputationRep:
    That's simply not true....."Almost 1,200 people, mostly minorities, killed by US cops in 2015. US law enforcement officers killed up to 1,199 people last year, the majority of whom were 'people of color'. According to the open-source reporting project Killed by Police, 574 of those who died were minorities, 511 were white, and 107 undetermined"-2015. What makes this stat even bigger is that blacks make up less than 15% of USA.
    I come with actual proof.

We're discussing Black lives, your argument is based on black lives.

ReputationRep:
    That isn't the point I am making. Just because he is black doesn't mean all lives don't matter. Just because he was shot doesn't mean more whites are shot each year.

I dont understand the focus on BLACK lives matter it needs to be all and thats it.
    I just gave you an argument for why it's 'black lives matter'. With your logic the phrase 'FREE PALESTINE' should be 'FREE ALL INVADED STATES'- doesn't have the same effect.

ReputationRep:
    I just gave you an argument for why it's 'black lives matter'. With your logic the phrase 'FREE PALESTINE' should be 'FREE ALL INVADED STATES'- doesn't have the same effect.
    But there is clearly no need for it in the first place is there, if more whites are killed. Why is Black lives matter priority? when the numbers suggest otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I come with actual proof.

We're discussing Black lives, your argument is based on black lives.

Even if your source is valid, like i said before blacks make up only 15% of the population. Anyway, PROPORTIONALLY police related death rates are much higher for blacks than whites.

ReputationRep:
    Even if your source is valid, like i said before blacks make up only 15% of the population. Anyway, PROPORTIONALLY police related death rates are much higher for blacks than whites.
    But black people PROPORTIONALLY also commit more crime.

ReputationRep:
    What is the deal with Black Lives Matter and All Lives Matter movements in general, where did it grow from and why can we not come together as a non labelled collective to work on our problems in society?
    The "BlackLivesMatter" campaign didn't come up out of nowhere, it was in response to the shootings in America by the police, they killed over 100 unarmed black men in 2015.

ReputationRep:
    What is the deal with Black Lives Matter and All Lives Matter movements in general, where did it grow from and why can we not come together as a non labelled collective to work on our problems in society?
    all ives matter no matter if your black white asian etc

ReputationRep:
    thats because PROPORTIONALLY blacks commit more crime than whites in the US

ReputationRep:
    But there is clearly no need for it in the first place is there, if more whites are killed. Why is Black lives matter priority? when the numbers suggest otherwise.

Unlawful killings by police is much higher among the black community, I've made my point already. I guess you'll believe what you want.

ReputationRep:
    But if a person resists arrest of the law, they are therefore a criminal
    Involuntarily twitching after being shot, and or saying "I can't breathe", isn't resisting arrest

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.