What would be a good salary at the age of 24

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Bearing in mind this is for London:

£30k would be good

£25k would be acceptable

Less than £25k why did you even go to uni?
    Lots of engineering graduate salaries are less than 25k. Just a little perseverance is required cause it will obviously increase with time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    Only chance you have at earning a 6 digit salary by age 30 is by becoming a chartered accounting or investment banker or other related accounting and finance careers. Also it's still very unlikely to earn that much at that stage in your career. I take it your looking to go into this career industry ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I took good in the OP to mean one of these high flying careers yep. And personally similar - though I know people in IT / management type careers who were on about 100k by 30, hence the aim being similar. A few more years to become a partner for instance I could cope with

(Original post by BabyLadDarren)
    get a load of this guy.
    I prefer gal

(Original post by shanktheopps)
    Why? £50-60k is a good salary for a 24 year old and it is possible.
    Indeed - at the company I'm at, assuming you hit each yearly career progression it's more than doable. If you're in IB etc, even faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blessed107)
    really at 24
    What I've learned is people my age talk absolute ****

A senior manager in a technology company earns about £45k a year. As in, minimum of 10 years experience............and that's if you're lucky.

A good salary for a 24 year old in London is about £28k and you'll be lucky to get that

ReputationRep:
    Trust me. In the real world, the amount of companies willing to pay a 23-24 year old more than 25k is very small.................

Bankers and engineers perhaps might get above that, but most other corporations are probably going to want to pay a person that age 20-21k at most. In London I guess you might get towards £23-25k.

All these people saying they're going to get £40k within a few years of graduating, when lawyers, with 20 years experience, working for corporations are probably only getting £55-60k!

The real world is a lot different to the world students inhabit. I'm starting to realize that after graduating this year.

Senior Managers I work with, with top degrees, who have been doing this stuff for 15-20 years are earning £45-50k........not 24 year olds!

My manager has a Maths degree from Cambridge, has 30 years experience, and is earning £58k for example

ReputationRep:
    21,000 - 29,000 pounds

depending on the qualifications.

BSc degree = 21,000- 25,000

masters or PhD should have a higher salary.
    and also depends on the job and when the someone started the job.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what your degree is in? And does that degree necessarily mean you will earn a lot of money? I did an apprenticeship at 16 in engineering for a large company and qualified onto 24k at 19 I'm now 22 and the salary has gone up to 37k and my employer is paying for me to do a mechatronic engineering degree whilst my friends who came back from uni last year are working as technicians etc on 18k with uni debt working towards higher pay whilst some of my friends are doing post grad schemes or similar sorts of things and will in 2 years be making 40k there are a lot of variables it all depends on what you do with that degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceej95)
    Trust me. In the real world, the amount of companies willing to pay a 23-24 year old more than 25k is very small.................

Bankers and engineers perhaps might get above that, but most other corporations are probably going to want to pay a person that age 20-21k at most. In London I guess you might get towards £23-25k.

All these people saying they're going to get £40k within a few years of graduating, when lawyers, with 20 years experience, working for corporations are probably only getting £55-60k!

The real world is a lot different to the world students inhabit. I'm starting to realize that after graduating this year.

Senior Managers I work with, with top degrees, who have been doing this stuff for 15-20 years are earning £45-50k........not 24 year olds!

My manager has a Maths degree from Cambridge, has 30 years experience, and is earning £58k for example
    This all depends on what field your in though age doesn't really come into some things, I'm an engineer through an apprenticeship from the age of 16 and I currently make 37k a year at the age of 22 and my employer is paying for my degree. Equally my employer runs a graduate scheme where the starting salary is 32k a year after 2 years of 24k as a grad if you consider the length of an engineering degree plus the 2 years as a graduate people would be about 23-24 when finishing the scheme and earning 32k but by your logic they should be making more than me because of age?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.