Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think the A level reforms are unfair? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I would assume so, yes.
    What about if the teacher likes you, despite your practical being bad they pass you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shazen)
    What about if the teacher likes you, despite your practical being bad they pass you.
    I very much doubt that would happen. Anyway, it doesn't count towards your grade and as long as you are working safely there's no reason you shouldn't pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I very much doubt that would happen. Anyway, it doesn't count towards your grade and as long as you are working safely there's no reason you shouldn't pass.
    Yeah that's true. What did they do on your turn? As in, what kind of practical assessments did you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shazen)
    Yeah that's true. What did they do on your turn? As in, what kind of practical assessments did you have?
    Look at the specification for your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedSquirrels)
    So you're saying that your predictions were more strenuously obtained, and that makes it unfair? Tbh I reckon you've done better, as your better prepared for the real thing. Anyway, who gives a s*** about predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Universities, for some courses predictions are the most important part of your application and therefore an be the difference between getting an offer and being rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Look at the specification for your course.
    Ok thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by APersonYo)
    I had to study 3 AS levels;whereas my cousin was just set mocks for 2 of his subjects and his teachers told them what to study and as a result he had more time to study for his maths AS level. As a result, he got predicted A*AA. On the other hand, I didn't have as much time to study for my maths AS level, but I still gained my A* prediction in the subject. But I had to sit a real chemistry and biology AS to obtain my predictions which were incredibly more difficult.
    That isn't the problem. The problem is the way that some school don't follow the linear route like they're supposed to. You didn't have to sit a real AS biology and chemistry, the school unfairly made you do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    That isn't the problem. The problem is the way that some school don't follow the linear route like they're supposed to. You didn't have to sit a real AS biology and chemistry, the school unfairly made you do it.
    They're very good preparation for the final A Level exams though.

ReputationRep:
    It's fair for everyone who is actually taking the AS-levels but unfair in the sense that people who don't do them get ******** predictions. I know a school that used the actual AS exams as mocks a few weeks after the real thing...

As someone said earlier, some teachers would just tell the students of what topics to revise. People who did OCR Sciences this year will know about having to revise the whole textbook twice before each exam. It reminds me of GCSE controlled assessments, mostly fake and easy for anyone to cheat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedSquirrels)
    So you're saying that your predictions were more strenuously obtained, and that makes it unfair? Tbh I reckon you've done better, as your better prepared for the real thing. Anyway, who gives a s*** about predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I guess I am better prepared for the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aals)
    it's fair for everyone who is actually taking the as-levels but unfair in the sense that people who don't do them get ******** predictions. I know a school that used the actual as exams as mocks a few weeks after the real thing...

As someone said earlier, some teachers would just tell the students of what topics to revise. People who did ocr sciences this year will know about having to revise the whole textbook twice before each exam. It reminds me of gcse controlled assessments, mostly fake and easy for anyone to cheat.

thank youu literally meee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Then his teachers have put him in a worse position as he won't be prepared for his exams next year. Predictions don't mean much if you screw up the real exams.

Most A Level sciences previously definitely had practicals, which you had to fill in a short exam which was marked (for 20% of your A Level). They were easy enough that if you spent half an hour studying for them it was basically easy full marks, if someone did poorly on them it was no one's fault but their own.

Predictions dont mean much? what about for getting offers and interviews lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corbynlover69)
    Did you even read the whole sentence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corbynlover69)
    Yep, I'm struggling with getting my A prediction in biology;whereas my cousin has got it due to an easier mock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Did you even read the whole sentence?
    yes getting an offer is the important part then if you do mess up your real exams and miss your offer by a grade you will prob still get a place

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree with you
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    They're very good preparation for the final A Level exams though.
    Not when there are fundamental differences in course content (e.g. different texts in English etc.) and mocks are just as good preparation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Not when there are fundamental differences in course content (e.g. different texts in English etc.) and mocks are just as good preparation.
    I think the AS is slightly better preparation as the question style especially in biology has drastically changed and there are a lot more experiment questions than there were before. But you do raise a good point, it was quite unfair of the school, they could just stick to a linear system?

ReputationRep:
    I don't prefer them since they took out ums. Apparently 20 marks above the A grade boundary is still not good enough for an A* prediction.

ReputationRep:
    It's better to get realistic predictions instead of eg. A*A*A* & applying to courses with v high requirements and then in the real thing only achieving ABB and not getting into uni at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.