Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Best universities for political career later in life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Lol you can't exactly have thought very hard if you didn't have PPE at Oxford on your list!
    I can't do PPE at Oxford because contrary to what you have posited, I have done thorough research regarding PPE at Oxford and 90% of successful candidates have an A in maths to at least AS Level. I didn't take maths, hence I'm not going for PPE at Oxford. Case closed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    Also, PPE requires maths A Level, which I do not possess.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    It does not. They say "many successful applicants have studied Maths to at least AS-level" but it definitely does not say that you need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    He's got a point, the Tory/Oxford PPE machine is slowing dying.
    Possibly but you only need to have a look at this list to see that Oxford PPE isn't going anywhere anytime soon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...UK_politicians

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    It does not. They say "many successful applicants have studied Maths to at least AS-level" but it definitely does not say that you need it.
    Yeah and statistically it seems that they favour people with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    Yeah and statistically it seems that they favour people with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Possibly, but that's absolutely not the same thing as saying they require it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    Possibly but you only need to have a look at this list to see that Oxford PPE isn't going anywhere anytime soon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...UK_politicians
    Wow the UK politicians was pretty much expected, but the non-U.K. Politicians section was extremely fascinating to discover

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    They say this but I'm sure something like over 80% of successful have done maths AS, I've seen the figures on their site somewhereI doubt it's a coincidence but you're right, they do say it isn't an absolute requirement although it's clear it's a strong preference that would give an advantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Can anybody tell me where OP said they want to be PM? I imagine the average MP either has no degree or only just has one insomuch that most will either not have one, or at least it will be irrelevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    9/10 MP's went to university, 3/10 to Oxbridge...

ReputationRep:
    you want to be a political? as if you wanted more than just your parents to be disappointed in you? why the whole country?
    (just kidding - I study politics, at a top 10 uni)

ReputationRep:
    Oxford and Cambridge obviously, then LSE. However, there's never been a UK PM from LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    9/10 MP's went to university, 3/10 to Oxbridge...
    How many are careerists and have a degree because that's part of being a careerist, and how many got a degree as necessitated by their profession?

ReputationRep:
    A law degree will drive you inside politics more than a political science degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.