Taking a gap year but I'm a bit worried. Help?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pn2020)
    Im going to university next year, I've decided to take a gap year this year. As im 18 now when i go to university next year i'll be 19. However, I'm a bit worried that with me being 19 next year i'll be one of the oldest in my lectures? Out of the friends i make i feel that i'll be one of the oldest, i know that people of all ages go to uni but i kinda feel that everyones gonna be younger than me. Any help?
    I've started uni at 20.
    there are people with kids on my course.
    the oldest flatmate i have is 22
    the youngest is 19.

don't worry about anything.
    most likely the majority of people on your course have retaken a year. causing them to be your age.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Age is just a number. I have friends who are younger than me but act older than me if that makes sense? And vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loperdoper)
    At 19 (after taking a gap year), I'm the youngest in my flat. The rest are 20-22.
    Are a lot of people in your year older than you or are most of them 18?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unaManzana)
    I've started uni at 20.
    there are people with kids on my course.
    the oldest flatmate i have is 22
    the youngest is 19.

don't worry about anything.
    most likely the majority of people on your course have retaken a year. causing them to be your age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you. I'm just worried incase most people in my halls are younger than me even though i'll only be 19 haha. Are there a lot of people in your year 19 or older?

ReputationRep:
    thank you. I'm just worried incase most people in my halls are younger than me even though i'll only be 19 haha. Are there a lot of people in your year 19 or older?
    yes lol I've still not met anyone who's 18 years old.

trust me bro, you'll be fine

I've seen uncles and aunties walk around on campus lmaooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unaManzana)
    yes lol I've still not met anyone who's 18 years old.

trust me bro, you'll be fine

I've seen uncles and aunties walk around on campus lmaooo
    what uni if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Are a lot of people in your year older than you or are most of them 18?
    To be honest, I haven't asked. It really doesn't matter. Looking at everyone in my course, you absolutely can't tell. People don't always go straight to uni, or straight into Year 1, even if it doesn't feel like it from your sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loperdoper)
    To be honest, I haven't asked. It really doesn't matter. Looking at everyone in my course, you absolutely can't tell. People don't always go straight to uni, or straight into Year 1, even if it doesn't feel like it from your sixth form.
    You never feel weird though that a lot of people may be younger than you? Sorry about all the questions 🙈

ReputationRep:
    You never feel weird though that a lot of people may be younger than you? Sorry about all the questions 🙈
    No? I worked full time in my year off and I worked with 15-16 year olds, and I still didn't always notice the age gap (it's more down to maturity than age). Unless your birthday is 31st August, there are people in your school year younger than you right now. I can 100% guarantee you will not notice the age difference, your maturity levels are going to be roughly the same as the majority of people you meet.

ReputationRep:
    You've got absolutely nothing to worry about.
    However - it was a damn foolish decision to take a gap year. You'll most likely drop your studying routine and it will be harder for you to adopt to uni. 3 months is plenty of time to chillax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosesAreRed1)
    You've got absolutely nothing to worry about.
    However - it was a damn foolish decision to take a gap year. You'll most likely drop your studying routine and it will be harder for you to adopt to uni. 3 months is plenty of time to chillax
    Erm no it wasn't a foolish idea? I had my own personal reasons to take a gap year so I'm sure it was the right thing to do given my circumstances...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.