The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Heisenberg97
I have a problem. My school is one of the (very) few that doesn't certificate AS Levels unless you drop them, so how do I go on about declaring the 2 units i'm retaking? So for the only way I think I can do this is by leaving the modules as pending on my A level grades.

Yup

For your A levels put the AS modules you aren't retaking with the grades awarded and for all the other modules (AS you're retaking and A2) put the grade as pending.
Original post by PQ
Yup

For your A levels put the AS modules you aren't retaking with the grades awarded and for all the other modules (AS you're retaking and A2) put the grade as pending.

Ok thank you!
Just for final personal reassurance before I apply...have I got this right? My school keep saying different things so I'm getting pretty confused. Sorry for shoddy use of phone camera.

IMG_20150917_173948232.jpg
Original post by 09ONeillH
Just for final personal reassurance before I apply...have I got this right? My school keep saying different things so I'm getting pretty confused. Sorry for shoddy use of phone camera.

IMG_20150917_173948232.jpg

That looks right to me - you're not resitting any AS modules correct?
Original post by PQ
That looks right to me - you're not resitting any AS modules correct?

Indeed I am not :smile:
Original post by Bloom77
I dropped history AS level but I'm retaking a module, should I put that in the predicted grades section or ignore this??

Also, Ar gcse, I did a qualification called: Cambridge Nationals OCR for ICT. I can't seem to find this on the ucas form?

Thanks a bunch

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to reenter the qualification a second time, with a pending overall grade and a pending module grade.

Original post by Heisenberg97
I have a problem. My school is one of the (very) few that doesn't certificate AS Levels unless you drop them, so how do I go on about declaring the 2 units i'm retaking? So for the only way I think I can do this is by leaving the modules as pending on my A level grades.
That's fine.
Should I add my UKMT awards as other qualifications?

And also my school's telling me to add UMS in the other box next to module grade instead of a module grade. Any comments on this?
Original post by Jonnyss
Should I add my UKMT awards as other qualifications?
I doubt that you need to include these, but @Carnationlilyrose will know better :smile:

And also my school's telling me to add UMS in the other box next to module grade instead of a module grade. Any comments on this?
You should only do this if at least one of the unis you are applying explicitly requests it. Admissions tutors don't want to have to spend time converting UMS to grades in their heads, so putting in UMS when they haven't asked for them is taking the risk of irritating them - not a good move.
Original post by Minerva
I doubt that you need to include these, but @Carnationlilyrose will know better :smile:

You should only do this if at least one of the unis you are applying explicitly requests it. Admissions tutors don't want to have to spend time converting UMS to grades in their heads, so putting in UMS when they haven't asked for them is taking the risk of irritating them - not a good move.

Never had any of our students put them in there. Either in the ps if it's relevant to the course applied for, or mentioned by the maths teacher in the reference.
Original post by Minerva

We were told to do this only for the ones we got really high UMS or close to full, so we can impress admission tutors.

But what i'm wondering is what I should do in the subjects I didn't do as highly, should I just leave them blank or only put the grade?
@Jonnyss
See answer from CLR above :smile:
Original post by Jonnyss
We were told to do this only for the ones we got really high UMS or close to full, so we can impress admission tutors.

But what i'm wondering is what I should do in the subjects I didn't do as highly, should I just leave them blank or only put the grade?
Well, that is exactly the point! If you declare some grades but not others, you are immediately raising questions in the Admissions Tutors' minds as to what exactly you are trying to hide. Just put in the grades throughout, and ask your referee to mention any seriously stellar UMS in your reference instead.
Original post by Jonnyss

Ask your teachers to put them in the reference if they think it is worth drawing attention to any particular units. Putting some in yourself and leaving others out just shouts that you aren't particularly proud of the ones that are blank and that makes tutors assume you are hiding worse than you probably are. All or none is the rule at the school where I worked.
Alright, I'm certain nobody will be able to help much, but I'll still try asking.

I'm an international so I didn't do GCSEs. I did take a national high school admission exam but I didn't receive an actual diploma or something. Should I mention this? Will unis even know whatever I'm talking about?
Original post by maracatinca
Alright, I'm certain nobody will be able to help much, but I'll still try asking.

I'm an international so I didn't do GCSEs. I did take a national high school admission exam but I didn't receive an actual diploma or something. Should I mention this? Will unis even know whatever I'm talking about?

Universities have been dealing with international students for generations. Education is their business. They will know what you are talking about, and you are obliged to declare any qualifications you have taken, with the results. Whether this is such a thing, I don't know. If it's an entrance exam to get into high school, then it's of no interest. If it's a national qualification in your country, then it goes down. If in doubt, either call up and ask them or put it down under 'other', then no one can accuse you of hiding anything.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Universities have been dealing with international students for generations. Education is their business. They will know what you are talking about, and you are obliged to declare any qualifications you have taken, with the results. Whether this is such a thing, I don't know. If it's an entrance exam to get into high school, then it's of no interest. If it's a national qualification in your country, then it goes down. If in doubt, either call up and ask them or put it down under 'other', then no one can accuse you of hiding anything.

Thanks! I was having doubts because I didn't receive any certificate. Does this matter? Everybody does take this exam though.
Thanks! I was having doubts because I didn't receive any certificate. Does this matter? Everybody does take this exam though.

Do you mean that you have nothing to prove it? If this is normal (that is, nobody ever gets one) then the universities will have some method of verifying your result, because you certainly won't be the first person to apply from your country and they will tell you what they want to see. If you are unusual in not having a certificate and everyone else does, you will have to discuss this with the universities you are applying for and ask what they advise.
Do you mean that you have nothing to prove it? If this is normal (that is, nobody ever gets one) then the universities will have some method of verifying your result, because you certainly won't be the first person to apply from your country and they will tell you what they want to see. If you are unusual in not having a certificate and everyone else does, you will have to discuss this with the universities you are applying for and ask what they advise.

Yeah, as far as I know nobody gets anything. Basically, you take this exam, and then the average of your results and grades throughout middles school is used in determining which school of choice you can get into. But nobody gets a diploma. The results should be archived online though on the site of the Education Ministry, which is entirely in my language.
Yeah, as far as I know nobody gets anything. Basically, you take this exam, and then the average of your results and grades throughout middles school is used in determining which school of choice you can get into. But nobody gets a diploma. The results should be archived online though on the site of the Education Ministry, which is entirely in my language.

The universities will know how they want to verify it, then. There shouldn't be a problem. Use this to see what it says about your country:
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/.../2015-international-qualifications.pdf
The universities will know how they want to verify it, then. There shouldn't be a problem. Use this to see what it says about your country:
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/.../2015-international-qualifications.pdf

Link's broken. But thanks for the input though! I'll ask other people from my country about this as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending