Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Summary Of The Labour Party Conference Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anybody hear Hope Not Hate's speech? From what I hear it amounted to: "the working class - including places like Rotherham - are racist and we're all smarter than them and we must convince them of this." Coming from the group that produced a report sl*gging off Muslims who denounce extremist hate preachers, I'm sure this will go down well among those in the Labour heart lands.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    And let the far-left gain even more control destroying the only chance of a viable centre-left, social democratic party?

I'm not going to be kicked out my own party by a bunch of militant, violent nutters.
    What did you think of the leaflets Momentum were handing out proclaiming that the anti-semitism accusations against them and some in the party is in fact a "Jewish" conspiracy against Corbyn?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    What did you think of the leaflets Momentum were handing out proclaiming that the anti-semitism accusations against them and some in the party is in fact a "Jewish" conspiracy against Corbyn?
    I broadly agree with you. There are some nasty people in Momentum and while I do not think Corbyn is himself anti-semitic he has not done enough to distance himself from those who are.

The issue of Israel is and always will be a difficult one to judge. It's not always easy to determine when legitimate criticism of Israel ends and where anti-antisemitism starts. My own view is that both people within and outside the Jewish religion have a tendency to really conflate the issues of Judaism and zionism/Israel that the line becomes almost impossible to determine at times. I do feel that at times (but by no means always), legitimate criticism of Israel is shouted down as anti-semitism unfairly.

Nonetheless there are plenty in Momentum who cross this line such as in this instance and they are a stain on the party.

ReputationRep:
    More from the conference. This time from Shami Chakribarti:

*“Please don’t go. Don’t leave me here, don’t leave me locked in a room with Essex man.” .......“If you want to put that on the internet and I get suspended, put it on".......“I don’t want to be left alone with people who lack the vision and views that you and I bring to this party as members of minority groups.”

Outraged Essex counsellors were not impressed at her for using such stereotypes.

*Colchester MP Will Quince took to Twitter to criticise the Labour figure, posting: “Don’t leave me alone with Essex Man - what does Shami Chakrabarti mean by this? This kind of cheap stereotype is beneath her. So ignorant.” “This kind of cheap stereotype is beneath her. So ignorant. Shami - come visit us in Essex, full to the brim with hard working people with the vision that is driving business growth in this country.”

Paraphrased from a DM article by the way. Say what you want about the DM but let's be honest, this sounds exactly like something she'd say. *
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Corbyn's speech today was the best since he became labour leader, with some decent proposals in.

That's not saying much though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Apparently Corbyn's speech today was the best since he became labour leader, with some decent proposals in.

That's not saying much though.
    The problem for Corbyn is that you don't get a second (or 12th, in this case) chance at first impressions. People's impressions about Corbyn congealed and hardened around the beginning of the year, according to the polls.

Also, during this conference he has already shown he has no intention changing; the much-vaunted announcement by Clive Lewis that he supported Trident, that it was the party policy and would not be revisited before the next election was immediately undercut by Corbyn saying that he personally does not support it, makes no undertaking to support it or cease speaking out against it, and that it could well be changed by the members (it can't be changed by conference at this point without major procedural hurdles, it was locked in for four years... so by that Corbyn presumably means he wants to hold plebiscites on policies. That means he gets to decide when to hold them and what the question is; a well-known tactic of authoritarians).

His announcement on immigration, that he is extremely happy with the current level and that anyone who is not is stirring up hatred was incredibly stupid thing to say. It's almost like he wants to alienate those voters Labour is hemorrhaging to UKIP

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.