Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orangeflower6)
    Yes they do. Honestly I can't thank you enough for all the help you've given me over the past month! My plan forwards from here is to draft the Keele R and R form tomorrow.. if I can get it spot on, I'm going to go for it
    Best of luck and your very welcome, over the past few weeks I have been away from TSR as I am just getting back into year 2 x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hay_tuz)
    You have loads of volunteering, I'd say Keele is a better choice
    Thank you!!! I'm going to draft the R and R tomorrow- I was just unsure because 168 of those hours were over 6 months in 2014 (year 11). I think you're right though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Cardiff medicine x
    what year??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    what year??
    just started second year last monday!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!!! I'm going to draft the R and R tomorrow- I was just unsure because 168 of those hours were over 6 months in 2014 (year 11). I think you're right though!
    just choose where youd rather go

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE HELP ME!!! Where do I have the best shot? Repping all good answers as I have an internal deadline to meet on Thursday.

GCSE- 7A* 3A (A's in maths, eng lang, ICT)
    UKCAT- 640 Band 2
    AS- AAAB (A's in bio, chem, maths)
    Predicted- A*A*A

I have 168 hrs volunteering over 6 months in 2014 with disabled adults and children.
    In Aug I started volunteering at a hospice (15hrs so far, I do 2hrs 30 mins weekly so it will go up, intend to carry on all A2) I know I started this late but sadly I signed up in Jan when I decided I was definite on med after AS mocks and the DBS, meetings, training etc took a very long time. EDIT: Keele count volunteering in the last 3 years.
    WE: shadowing a nurse for a day, 2 different GP's over 3 days, medical research department at a hospital. Been trying to organise hospital work experience, I might finally be getting somewhere but it will be too late to put on PS etc.
    First aider with St. John Ambulance, bio and chem mentor for AS students, showjumper for 10 years(national level), weightlifter as a hobby, nothing serious. Completed NCS, part of a medical society, taken part in a med research project with peers, attended dementia learning sessions, take part in HE+ Chemistry, all the general stuff, nothing special at all.

I score 41/48 on Leicester scoring system for 2017 entry. This is very borderline(please can someone confirm this?)
    For Keele, they rely heavily on the R&R form which may be subjective- I have many hours of volunteering but none in 2015 so... On top of this, Keele has such a small success ratio (0.08 on medic portal compared to 0.18 for Leicester) and a much smaller number of places for a larger number of applicants. Do you think that because the offer has gone up to A*AA they will receive less applicants?
    If I'm being completely honest, I prefer Leicester. Keele seems very isolated so I'm concerned about the area not being great. On the other hand, I'm not bothered where I end up. I just want nothing more than to study medicine that I would literally go anywhere to maximise my chances. Leicester just seems risky with that score (think its 85/86%), borderline for the past few year but I fear it will go up.
    Incase its of any interest, my other three options are Liverpool, HYMS, UEA.
    REPPING ALL HELPFUL ANSWERS, THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ!!!!
    Did you go to greenhead College by any chance?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.