Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE 'Top Five Marks in the Country' ? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    I got a top 5 in GCSE english lit AQA back in 2002, though don't ask me what it means!
    so did i in 2002! i really thought it meant something! prob now is that i took the AS Eng in the year 2003-4 cos i thought i'd do good. sadly, i think im expectin a B :.......( i go to moulsham high (comprehensive) and no-ones ever done this before so i feel im letting everyone down by not getting at least an A this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetymango)
    My teacher said that people tend to get a grade higher in English Lit than in English Lang
    That seemed to be the pattern for the mocks (also the A* boundary for lang was a couple of percent higher) but on the school's results from last year it seemed to be the other way :confused:

(Original post by 2776)

Also another fact is that I know someone who got 100% for art yet did not recieve the top 5 marks. .
    well i know someone who got full marks for art and only got an A..

quite a few people in my year got top 5 in something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    well i know someone who got full marks for art and only got an A..
    Is that for overall or for cetrain aspects?

ReputationRep:
    I was so proud in 2003 to be the only person from my school to receive a top 5 commendation.

Mine came from AQA and was for English Literature. I called a lady named something Rose I think, as her number was on the bottom of my certificate. I was told that I had achieved full raw marksl, but had been ranked somewhere like 12th of the 32 I think it was.

To think, 319,018 people took the English Lit exam that year, and I was 12th best! It was the proudest achievement of my life, especially considering I couldnt read until i was 7 due to learning difficulties.

For that reason, I find it offensive that people say everyone gets it for AQA English Lit, I worked hard for that, harder than most people will ever realise.

ReputationRep:
    People seem to be ignoring the fact that 'top five' in the country refers to a specific specification and/or paper. So, in religious studies GCSE there are over 20 papers for Edexecel and they gave top five letters to everyone who got 100% on both papers, leading to a fairly large number of people! Additionally the tag 'top five' is not referential to the size of the entry; I got a top five score in English, English Lit, RE, ICT and French but all were taken with small exam boards.

Oh and of course, even say for AQA in most subjects there are multiple specs and so multiple top fives for thos subjects.

It is a great tag to put on your reference though- but I think total ********!

My old french teacher told me that people who are classed as bilingual are not given top five awards at GCSE/AS. Does anyone know if this is true? As, not being bilingual I thought it pathetic when I saw the letter!!!

ReputationRep:
    People seem to be ignoring the fact that 'top five' in the country refers to a specific specification and/or paper. So, in religious studies GCSE there are over 20 papers for Edexecel and they gave top five letters to everyone who got 100% on both papers, leading to a fairly large number of people! Additionally the tag 'top five' is not referential to the size of the entry; I got a top five score in English, English Lit, RE, ICT and French but all were taken with small exam boards.

Oh and of course, even say for AQA in most subjects there are multiple specs and so multiple top fives for thos subjects.

It is a great tag to put on your reference though- but I think total ********!

My old french teacher told me that people who are classed as bilingual are not given top five awards at GCSE/AS. Does anyone know if this is true? As, not being bilingual I thought it pathetic when I saw the letter saying I had achieved a top five mark!!!

Oh, and the whole thing about people achieving 100.0% raw marks is quite innacurate, especially at A Level. In AQA Chemistry last year, no-one even achieved full UMS.

(Original post by 2776)
    Is that for overall or for cetrain aspects?
    overall she had full marks for GSCE art..and several people had near full marks..but no A*'s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Yes, a girl in my class who can't even spell or write creatively got a top 5 in English Literature GCSE.

Seems much harder to get them in Science/Maths.
    She must have been better than you thought if she managed that. Do I detect sour grapes?

(Original post by StarBlueUK)
    She must have been better than you thought if she managed that. Do I detect sour grapes?
    but to do that well she must have been able to write properly surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    Additionally the tag 'top five' is not referential to the size of the entry; I got a top five score in English, English Lit, RE, ICT and French but all were taken with small exam boards.
    That's a point. My school has several "Top 5" letters on display in DT but not many in other subjects, because DT is split up small so there are relatively few people doing each spec.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.