Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Are A Levels harder than a degree?

ReputationRep:
    It will depend on your degree choice, your university, and your A Levels.

A Levels are difficult. They are a massive step up from GCSE, but help massively when it comes to university. The struggle is worth it if you go to HE because it'll prepare you.

Degrees are not easy at all though. If you did the subject at A-level, you may find it somewhat easier than some other people if the content is repeated, but there is much more independent study and more expectations for you to work hard.

However, you should choose a degree in something you feel passionate about - this makes it easier than if you HATE the subject at university, just in that the subjects you dislike at A Level are harder.

I am going into my second year of university, and I don't think my first year was easier. There was more freedom, less contact hours, and more opportunities to do social things, but the academics was by no means simple. Assignments are challenging, library books can sometimes be illegible, and some lecturers are completely awful. I had a lot of mental health issues too, which made coping with university much more difficult. But with a bit of perseverance, you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Telllo)
    King's
    I would regard King's as easily in the top 20 in the UK

ReputationRep:
    Maybe people say this because when you're doing alevels you're in college 5 days a week, usually all day. However at uni you have much more free time but no ones pushing you to do any work, you do it in your own time. Idk that's how I feel, it's not as stressful as you're just expected to get on with it. The content however is much harder than what was studied at alevel, so it's not easier in that aspect.

ReputationRep:
    We covered my two year a level course in two hour uni lecture yesterday 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Well I guess it gets harder as you go on!Good luck! I have just started doing a levels, and I am in shock with how much harder it is than gcse!
    Most definitely, as everyone keeps saying it's only the first week and they don't want to drop too much on us.

A Levels were definitely a step up from GCSE's, although I found that the jump from AS to A2 was worse than GCSE to A Level. And then Degree level is an even bigger jump still!

Thanks and good luck with your A Levels too!

ReputationRep:
    Last summer, I went to the University of Southampton, and they told me that degrees are slightly easier than A-levels

The reason being is that the difference between A-levels and degrees is that during a degree, you have a lot less help from teachers reminding you of deadlines, homework, etc. The hardest part about a degree is adapting to this dramatic change in learning and support.

if you can cope with that, the university told me, you will often find a degree easier (and more fun) than A-levels, although it does depend on the subject you are planning to study at degree level...

ReputationRep:
    Is an Economics Degree harder than an Economics A Level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Most definitely, as everyone keeps saying it's only the first week and they don't want to drop too much on us.

A Levels were definitely a step up from GCSE's, although I found that the jump from AS to A2 was worse than GCSE to A Level. And then Degree level is an even bigger jump still!

Thanks and good luck with your A Levels too!
    Thank you very much and good luck to you too!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r.mehtaa)
    Is an Economics Degree harder than an Economics A Level?
    Are you doing economics a level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cocopops121)
    We covered my two year a level course in two hour uni lecture yesterday 😂😂😂
    Which degree are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing economics a level?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    yes
    Oh so am I and I am really enjoying it! I also want to do economics as a degree (I assume from your first post you want to as well...)

ReputationRep:
    Oh so am I and I am really enjoying it! I also want to do economics as a degree (I assume from your first post you want to as well...)
    Same, absolutely love the A Level. I also want to take Economics (and maybe German as well) as a degree.

ReputationRep:
    I think A levels are harder than a degree. There's so much riding on A levels and the hoops you have to jump through are very specific. Even at masters level, I still found A level more stressful in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Well if you're doing a degree like Queer Studies, then I'm pretty sure A Levels would be harder...
    but the Oral would be quite challenging tho'

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not because especially in STEM subjects you have to be good at a multitude of things to get the high marks; I can't speak for other subjects but in chemistry you need to be top at both english and maths in order to get the high marks because of essays etc

ReputationRep:
    Same, absolutely love the A Level. I also want to take Economics (and maybe German as well) as a degree.
    Nice! Doing german as a degree sounds very interesting...

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.