I want to drop out

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epistemolog y)
    Sorry. Just take a gap year then and get a part-time job travel and find an interest. Are you hapy with your grades and univeristy maybe retake some modules?
    Don't worry about it thats what I was thinking of doing just not about how to get around my parents :/ I'm thinling of going back next year to get a degree to teach English as a foreign language

(Original post by megmrsh)
    Hey
    I've been in uni studying history for about 3 and a half weeks now, and I've realised that I'm not on the right course. I've tried to talk to my uni but theey wont let me change course, and I'm really miserable and depressed. I've decided I want to drop out of uni, but my parents are totally against it even though they know I'm depressed (and I have anxiety). I want to take a gap year to work and maybe travel, and then sign up for a different course next year. Has anyone here been in a similar situtuation? Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with my parents and convince them it wont ruin my life?
    Thanks xxx
    I'm in the same position too. I just feel like I'm pushing above my brain. I'm in an even worse position than you I have to uni this year or my mum will send me to Nigeria or kick me out of the house. And I'll be homeless. Or I'll have to find a job. People are saying that I'll have live with these mistakes I make in life. It's just really shameful to be forgetting things at a young age in life. My sister is using me is what I've seen from this and she was jealous of my school experience. I'm just set on going back to school again but I can't because my parents will kick me out of the house. I do have money but I'll have to look for a job. And my dad says if I take a gap year I'll be stuck at Mac Donald's fact and just wasting another year of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictoriaCoolio)
    I'm in the same position too. I just feel like I'm pushing above my brain. I'm in an even worse position than you I have to uni this year or my mum will send me to Nigeria or kick me out of the house. And I'll be homeless. Or I'll have to find a job. People are saying that I'll have live with these mistakes I make in life. It's just really shameful to be forgetting things at a young age in life. My sister is using me is what I've seen from this and she was jealous of my school experience. I'm just set on going back to school again but I can't because my parents will kick me out of the house. I do have money but I'll have to look for a job. And my dad says if I take a gap year I'll be stuck at Mac Donald's fact and just wasting another year of my life.
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you're in such a bad position and that your parents aren't being supportive of your decisions :/ people are also telling me that I'm making a mistake and that I'm going to regret it but I guess its not up to them to decide that so are you going to drop out and look for a job? I've done a lot of thinking, and I think that I'm going to look for a part time job and do an online course TEFL course to get a certificate to teach English as a foreign language, mostly because it will look good on my CV and it's something I've thought about doing in the past. Then I will go back to uni to study English. Since I've told my parents about this they have started to accept the idea. Maybe if you come up with a plan your parents will be more supportive too.
    Good luck!

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you're in such a bad position and that your parents aren't being supportive of your decisions :/ people are also telling me that I'm making a mistake and that I'm going to regret it but I guess its not up to them to decide that so are you going to drop out and look for a job? I've done a lot of thinking, and I think that I'm going to look for a part time job and do an online course TEFL course to get a certificate to teach English as a foreign language, mostly because it will look good on my CV and it's something I've thought about doing in the past. Then I will go back to uni to study English. Since I've told my parents about this they have started to accept the idea. Maybe if you come up with a plan your parents will be more supportive too.
    Good luck!
    I'll probably drop out and find a job and go back to school and try to get professional help

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably drop out and find a job and go back to school and try to get professional help
    Oh ok, I hope everything works out for you

Oh ok, I hope everything works out for you
    I've also been told by people that if I drop out whilst here I can stay in accommodation and find a job to pay for things.

ReputationRep:
    I've also been told by people that if I drop out whilst here I can stay in accommodation and find a job to pay for things.
    Oh that's great, at least that would allow to take the time you need to work things out

Is to possible to defer your entry and stay in the halls at the same time.

I'm really not up for this course or this year. You don't want to be entering university feeling like this and looking like this.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I've been in uni studying history for about 3 and a half weeks now, and I've realised that I'm not on the right course. I've tried to talk to my uni but theey wont let me change course, and I'm really miserable and depressed. I've decided I want to drop out of uni, but my parents are totally against it even though they know I'm depressed (and I have anxiety). I want to take a gap year to work and maybe travel, and then sign up for a different course next year. Has anyone here been in a similar situtuation? Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with my parents and convince them it wont ruin my life?
    Thanks xxx
    Hello, I'm a 4th year student at uni and I felt the same way, and completely regret not dropping out back in year 1. ( my course is 5 years long)

I will highly advise you to drop out if you are feeling like it is the wrong course for you, because the depression and anxiety will only get much worse. The decision is yours to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Its Just That Dude)
    Hello, I'm a 4th year student at uni and I felt the same way, and completely regret not dropping out back in year 1. ( my course is 5 years long)

I will highly advise you to drop out if you are feeling like it is the wrong course for you, because the depression and anxiety will only get much worse. The decision is yours to make.
    Hi, I'm sorry you feel that way at least you have't got that much longer to go yes I feel like I need to, I don't to feel worse than I already do. Thank you for your input and advice xxx

(Original post by Its Just That Dude)

Okay I see. I'll take this into account

ReputationRep:
    Is to possible to defer your entry and stay in the halls at the same time.
    I honestly don't know maybe, it probably depends on where you are

My student finance money has already come through ao it's too late now. I'm screwed.

ReputationRep:
    My student finance money has already come through ao it's too late now. I'm screwed.
    Oh no I'm so sorry :'( isn't there anyone you can talk to to try and get around it? Maybe if you can explain your situation to someone they might be able to sort something out?

Oh no I'm so sorry :'( isn't there anyone you can talk to to try and get around it? Maybe if you can explain your situation to someone they might be able to sort something out?
    I think I'll try and talk to the night services. I think they should be able to sort something out for me.

ReputationRep:
    Drop out, seriously. I couldn't tell you how much I wish I could go back and tell my 18 year old self not to stress so much over the decision. I wound up waiting until the end of my first year as I couldn't bring myself to tell anybody, which was dumb.

Going to university later than 18 might feel like a disaster scenario now whilst other people you know are off starting their courses, but you've got time on your side believe me, so take some of it. Finding work or travelling during your year out would no doubt help.

A gap year can be invaluable for some people. It can be difficult to develop real interests, or aspirations, with the constant pressures of school or college and lack of time to contend with. The time out could help you more than you'd expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Drop out, seriously. I couldn't tell you how much I wish I could go back and tell my 18 year old self not to stress so much over the decision. I wound up waiting until the end of my first year as I couldn't bring myself to tell anybody, which was dumb.

Going to university later than 18 might feel like a disaster scenario now whilst other people you know are off starting their courses, but you've got time on your side believe me, so take some of it. Finding work or travelling during your year out would no doubt help.

A gap year can be invaluable for some people. It can be difficult to develop real interests, or aspirations, with the constant pressures of school or college and lack of time to contend with. The time out could help you more than you'd expect.
    Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for your opinion. I think a gap year could help me, forcing myself to stay wouldn't be a good idea and wouldn't help me in any way :/ What did you do after your first year? Did you change course or take a gap year?

(Original post by Cll_ws)

Yeah I've seen people on course who are like 30 - 19. I don't have to get it right the first time but my accommodation is coming through on the 10th. I'm just hoping it's not too late. I'm trying to change course to Mathematics or Physics I'm not so sure now. Now that I think about it I want to study Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for your opinion. I think a gap year could help me, forcing myself to stay wouldn't be a good idea and wouldn't help me in any way :/ What did you do after your first year? Did you change course or take a gap year?
    No problem! I took a gap 5 years :lol: Because I had no real idea of what I wanted to study, and didn't want to get it wrong a second time. Hopefully if you already know it won't take you that long! But I would still encourage you not to jump into a course that you're unsure about.

I've done a few things in that time. Worked full-time, studied part-time, spent some time living and studying abroad. It wasn't until I was 22 that I found something that I truly enjoyed studying, and i've been self-studying that subject for the past 2 years. I'm applying now to return to university next September.

It's taken me longer that I expected, but I don't regret taking the time to work things out.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.