Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In films they always hold the bowl close to their face. And then they eat really fast!

(Original post by Daibhidh)
    I am struggling with how to use chopsticks.

I just think it would be cool to be a seasoned chopstick user.
    I just push them both together and scoop up the food with them, i can't use them properly.

ReputationRep:
    initially i found it really hard to use them... then got used to them...... and now i barely remember.lol...... havent eaten chinese food in a while.lol...
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    met the other halfs parents over a chinese last night actually. I pisked up the chopsticks and started using them instead of a knife and fork and they all just started at me. It was a little awkard! But then they all ended up trying, however pathetically.....

ReputationRep:
    i well would like to learn how to use them. but please explain, how do you eat eg spring rolls or big bits of meat when only given chopsticks? how do you cut it? and is it true chinese people have no body hair?

ReputationRep:
    Put one up each nostril and run around screaming.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Stab through your food with one, quite like a kebab really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in two minds about chopsticks, really. Being Chinese I feel like I should jump up and shout "CHOPSTICKS ROCK", but, having just spent two weeks in Hong Kong, I have to say, knives and forks are just so much more functional. As for spoons, well, they're just fantastic. But enough of that!

The only bits of advice I can give on chopsticks are:
    - Don't follow the instructions on the packets (well, actually, try it, it might work for you, but the point is, I think everyone has their own different way of chopsticking)
    - If the food can be poked with a single chopstick and not slide off, then this is always a good course of action (even if my relatives give me slightly odd looks when I use my eating implements in described manner)
    - To eat rice, simply put bowl to mouth, and SHOVEL. I've seen people saying "scoop", which is all very well, but shovelling is my preferred method!
    - Don't worry about making a mess - "a stained table cloth is a sign of a good meal"
    - Don't clean up after yourself - "why destroy the evidence?"
    - Talk with your mouth full, answer your phone at the table - the only observed etiquette is to wait for everyone else before eating
    - If someone puts food in your bowl, it is considered polite. If, like me, you are annoyed by this, FIGHT BACK. By placing as many nasty looking morsels into the bowls of others, you can usually get the message across that I don't want your stinking beancurd and crab.

As for the absence of bodily hair, magiccarpet, this is not true. And on that note, it is advisable for Chinese women, and any other women with dark hair, to use hair removal products on their faces to avoid the appearance of a beard and moustache...

Hmm, that post turned out longer than I intended...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyinghorse)
    I'm in two minds about chopsticks, really. Being Chinese I feel like I should jump up and shout "CHOPSTICKS ROCK", but, having just spent two weeks in Hong Kong, I have to say, knives and forks are just so much more functional. As for spoons, well, they're just fantastic. But enough of that!

The only bits of advice I can give on chopsticks are:
    - Don't follow the instructions on the packets (well, actually, try it, it might work for you, but the point is, I think everyone has their own different way of chopsticking)
    - If the food can be poked with a single chopstick and not slide off, then this is always a good course of action (even if my relatives give me slightly odd looks when I use my eating implements in described manner)
    - To eat rice, simply put bowl to mouth, and SHOVEL. I've seen people saying "scoop", which is all very well, but shovelling is my preferred method!
    - Don't worry about making a mess - "a stained table cloth is a sign of a good meal"
    - Don't clean up after yourself - "why destroy the evidence?"
    - Talk with your mouth full, answer your phone at the table - the only observed etiquette is to wait for everyone else before eating
    - If someone puts food in your bowl, it is considered polite. If, like me, you are annoyed by this, FIGHT BACK. By placing as many nasty looking morsels into the bowls of others, you can usually get the message across that I don't want your stinking beancurd and crab.

As for the absence of bodily hair, magiccarpet, this is not true. And on that note, it is advisable for Chinese women, and any other women with dark hair, to use hair removal products on their faces to avoid the appearance of a beard and moustache...

Hmm, that post turned out longer than I intended...

Cheers, I'll try the shovelling technique. I think this chinese food thing will be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    i well would like to learn how to use them. but please explain, how do you eat eg spring rolls or big bits of meat when only given chopsticks? how do you cut it? and is it true chinese people have no body hair?
    You just pick it up like normal! Just pick it up from the middle. Come on, it's just a little piece of food, surely you can't be that weak!

And whoever made that claim must have met every SINGLE Chinese person in the world! Must be a great guy!

ReputationRep:
    The normal Chinese doesn't know how to use a knife and fork, so they use sticks. If you have grown up using a knife and fork you do not want to take a backward step and look silly trying to use sticks.
    Progress and develop in a rational manner.

ReputationRep:
    you don't tend to cut bits of meat with chopsticks - you pick up the whole piece and bit bits off

also if the rice is a little sticky, you can retain some of your dignity by simply holding the chopsticks about 1cm apart and scooping

ReputationRep:
    I use mine as knitting needles...(after sharpning the edges with my eye pencil sharpner!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Place the bowl of rice next to your lips, tip the bowl, and scoop the rice into your mouth with the chopsticks. That's how my family does it anyway.
    Yep..that's the way....it's funny watching non-chopstick users try and pick up the rice with their chopsticks to eat it...they don't realise that we just scoop it in

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackT)
    The normal Chinese doesn't know how to use a knife and fork, so they use sticks. If you have grown up using a knife and fork you do not want to take a backward step and look silly trying to use sticks.
    Progress and develop in a rational manner.
    Erm.....yes....not funny

ReputationRep:
    how do you eat that seaweed stuff? is it really just spinach?

and why do chinese people in the uk only ever seem to go out with other chinese people? i wll like this guy who's chinese but i dont think like to be with me cos im not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    how do you eat that seaweed stuff? is it really just spinach?

and why do chinese people in the uk only ever seem to go out with other chinese people? i wll like this guy who's chinese but i dont think like to be with me cos im not.
    never been sure about the seaweed myself... I think it's supposed to be seaweed, but cheaper places use spinach - anyone know?

It depends on how traditional* the family are - some Chinese parents will not be very happy if their children go out with a non Chinese person (they actually have a term for the non-Chinese - "Gwai-Lo"), but I'm glad to that my family is not like that, in fact, none of my siblings or cousins (well, the ones living in this country) are going out chinese people. So I just hope this guy's not of the "Gwai-Lo BAAAAD" group, because it's just really stupid. It's like on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air when one of their relatives is going out with a white guy. People should really get over the whole racial thing....

Also, it's reassuring to know that we Chinese don't go completely unappreciated!

*traditional or just plain snobbish

ReputationRep:
    never been sure about the seaweed myself... I think it's supposed to be seaweed, but cheaper places use spinach - anyone know?

It depends on how traditional* the family are - some Chinese parents will not be very happy if their children go out with a non Chinese person (they actually have a term for the non-Chinese - "Gwai-Lo"), but I'm glad to that my family is not like that, in fact, none of my siblings or cousins (well, the ones living in this country) are going out chinese people. So I just hope this guy's not of the "Gwai-Lo BAAAAD" group, because it's just really stupid. It's like on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air when one of their relatives is going out with a white guy. People should really get over the whole racial thing....

Also, it's reassuring to know that we Chinese don't go completely unappreciated!

The guy on the Frsh Prince seems cool but he doesn't join in dancing. You can discriminate that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    The guy on the Frsh Prince seems cool but he doesn't join in dancing. You can discriminate that.
    Can't beat a good Carlton Dance!

ReputationRep:

thanks you are the greatest i will invite you to the wedding!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.