How on earth do people get a*s at alevel?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lily.b9)
    Because it feels like only academically gifted people end up getting A*s
    That's kind of the point isn't it? If everyone could get A*s, they would lose their value (as happened with the A grade in the past).*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsqueen)
    Throughout your two years at sixth form, you are essentially being trained to sit an exam and for most subjects (unlike GCSE) you can't get away with memorising the textbook. You get assessed on how well you understand the content and how you can apply it to whatever question they throw at you (note: I take sciences at A level, so this is how it works for me). While reading around your subjects is not on the specification, it will help you understand how your subjects work, you can read about the real life applications of the theories and concepts you are taught at school. It also gives you something extra to mention in your personal statement, if you read an interesting book or article for example. This got me 5 A's at AS. Obviously learn what you have to first, don't just read around your subject, make sure you have a solid foundation so you can get the grades.
    What did you take at AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I got 3A*s, and trust me, its not entirely about brains, although they do help; its about hard work.

Well, except maybe for maths, in which case natural ability is a bit more important.
    What A-levels? By your name I'm assuming two of them were Maths & FM?

ReputationRep:
    For sciences, it's because they work hard.

For humanities, I'm convinced it's hard work + luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    What A-levels? By your name I'm assuming two of them were Maths & FM?
    Maths, Further Maths, and Additional Further Maths

And an A in Physics, because I hated the subject in A2.

I edited my original post when I realised I probably did a little less work for each Maths A-levels than other people, but I can't see natural ability being very important in other A-levels, since maths is the only popular A-level I know of where intuitive understanding is much, much more important than memorisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lily.b9)
    Is it really only reserved for super brainy people or can ordinary people like me actually achieve A*s ???? Because it feels like only academically gifted people end up getting A*s, btw im in year 12 and am aiming to do my absolute best in my subjects (biology,psychology and chemistry)
    Enjoy the subject and work hard

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths, and Additional Further Maths

And an A in Physics, because I hated the subject in A2.

I edited my original post when I realised I probably did a little less work for each Maths A-levels than other people, but I can't see natural ability being very important in other A-levels, since maths is the only popular A-level I know of where intuitive understanding is much, much more important than memorisation.
    Wow, congrats on the amazing results in such challenging subjects! I barely scraped an A in AS Maths (after remarks too...) so I'll be resitting 2 of my AS modules, but I hope with a better work ethic this year I can get an A overall or maybe even an A*. How much work did you do at home weekly, and what resources did you use outside of class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Idk, I already feel like I'm going to get a U in Biology
    Hey Surina,
    Do you need to know the names of stains for biology? My book only mentions the techniques like gram staining :/

ReputationRep:
    What you need to do is stop trying to learn Biology texts cover to cover and concentrate more on questions - past papers, mark schemes, textbook questions and answers. See what type of thinking is needed to answer these questions, and you will soon get the nack for using the right thinking skills for applying knowledge.

Aim to have looked at a thousand questions and answers relevant to your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    For sciences, it's because they work hard.

For humanities, I'm convinced it's hard work + luck.
    Work hard, play hard. Anything else will lead to a mental breakdown, and we don't want that do we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Wow, congrats on the amazing results in such challenging subjects! I barely scraped an A in AS Maths (after remarks too...) so I'll be resitting 2 of my AS modules, but I hope with a better work ethic this year I can get an A overall or maybe even an A*. How much work did you do at home weekly, and what resources did you use outside of class?
    In my first year, I probably spent 2 hours a day at home revising, half for maths, a quarter for physics, and another quarter for chemistry. I mainly just used textbooks and past papers. A lot of past papers. For physics and chemistry, I tried to memorise the wording of the mark schemes. For mathematics, I tried to memorise the methods.

Its difficult to answer about what I did in my second year, since I honestly spent more time practicing for the British Maths Olympiad, interviews, and later the STEP exams (Cambridge admissions tests) than directly working for my A-levels; both of which helped my intuitive understanding of maths, but not so much my knowledge of what I needed for my A-levels in maths. This is why I think intuitive understanding is very important for maths.

ReputationRep:
    unrelated, but I thought instead of A* (grades) you were trying to censor the word a-s-s in the title and...well, I clicked on this looking to answer a very different question

ReputationRep:
    You know 😂, I just started year 12 and things are started to go south.

ReputationRep:
    In my first year, I probably spent 2 hours a day at home revising, half for maths, a quarter for physics, and another quarter for chemistry. I mainly just used textbooks and past papers. A lot of past papers. For physics and chemistry, I tried to memorise the wording of the mark schemes. For mathematics, I tried to memorise the methods.

Its difficult to answer about what I did in my second year, since I honestly spent more time practicing for the British Maths Olympiad, interviews, and later the STEP exams (Cambridge admissions tests) than directly working for my A-levels; both of which helped my intuitive understanding of maths, but not so much my knowledge of what I needed for my A-levels in maths. This is why I think intuitive understanding is very important for maths.
    Did you end up getting into Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (..)
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naruke)
    Did you end up getting into Cambridge?
    Yarp. Despite two terrible interviews

ReputationRep:
    Yarp. Despite two terrible interviews
    Did you get a triple or double S

Had to if your interviews went bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naruke)
    Did you get a triple or double S

Had to if your interviews went bad
    Triple S, but my offer was still the standard offer (1,1). I still stand by what I said, though, my interviews couldn't have gone much worse.

(Original post by Himtiaz)
    What did you take at AS?
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology & Chemistry (+general studies lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsqueen)
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology & Chemistry (+general studies lol)
    I am wanting to do those subjects as well. Do you have any tips/advice. Also, do you think further maths helped at all

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.