The Student Room Group

How do I know if it's okay to call an ambulance?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhaenys10
Like, how bad should my symptoms be in order to bother 'em with a call?

General rules are if it is life threatening, very serious or immediate, or serious enough that you need to be seen soon but have no way of transporting yourself. So if you needed urgent treatment (broken leg, deep woulnd, serious pain etc) but couldn't transport yourself to A&E you could call an ambulance. And you teach kids to call an ambulance if they aren't with an adult because they have no alternative.

In the UK if you are unsure you can call 111 (NHS). They can tell you how ugent it is and if you need an ambulance they can call one for you.

Some warning signs are: heavy or prolonged bleeding, passing out, chest or left arm pain, being violently ill or physically sick with pain, slumping face or slured speach, confused or unresponsive, mentally distressed (like suicidal or acting dangerously- laying in the road etc). These are worth calling an ambulance (or 111) for if you don't know what else to do even if you don't think it is life threatening as it is a serious and immediate danger.

I'm sure there is information on this on the NHS or StJohns website.

It seems you have a specific concern though so what's bothering you currently?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest